SD hot rails.

What's Hot
LoobsLoobs Frets: 3831
In the neck position. Any good?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Depends on what you want/like.

Dave Murray uses them in his current guitars (since around 2000) if that's any help.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• LoobsLoobs Frets: 3831
    I can't say I'm much familiar with Dave
    Iron Maiden, since the Brave New World album.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

Not my cup of tea, fella.

IIRC you're a jazz player?

The Hot Rails probably won't be right, maybe the cool rails? similar, but lower output

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    What kind of tone are you after?
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261

my Strat has one at the bridge.. they are surprisingly hot.. a little bright too..

which is great for riffing / shredding.. and on my Strat, awesome with the mid pup for 'aggressive clean' funky stuff..

no idea what they're like in the neck position though.. I have actually considered doing ths to my Strat..just never got around to it..

play every note as if it were your first
    It's to put in the neck slot of a Tele. I'd rather not route the body for a full sized humdinger.

Yeah, I'm looking for a warm jazzy hunbucker sound.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23906
    Bad choice for a warm jazzy sound.

It's a beast of a pickup - bright and aggressive.
    edited November 2014
    That could be a bit tricky.  The only Tele neck pickup size 'bucker thing is the Hot Rails and as said it will be too hot.  Can you fit a Strat sized mini 'bucker in there?  Obviously need a new or modded pickguard, but you will have a greater choice of pickups.

Alternatively look at some of the pickup makers that make Tele pickup sized P90 a likes, might give you a little more fatness.
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3426
    How about the Little 59 neck version? Mike Stern's sig has a 59 in the neck (and a hot rails in the bridge)
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited November 2014
    Have you double checked under the pick guard that the guitar isn't already routed for a neck humbucker?  IIRC some of the Mexican Teles have humbucker routes, not sure what other models and of course I don't know what Tele you have.  Worth a look if you haven't already confirmed the routing though.
    How about the Little 59 neck version? Mike Stern's sig has a 59 in the neck (and a hot rails in the bridge)
    The Little '59 neck is Strat sized.  The Little '59 Tele bridge pickup is my favorite though.
    Yeah. It's an MJT body with vintage routing, it's naked now.

This is the dilemma, I'm looking for a fatter, warmer tone from the neck pickup but routing it is a ballache. I'd have to pay someone to do it since I don't own a tool for it. There are many p90s available for that size but unfortunately the lil 59 is built for the Strat and would also need routing.
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3426
    Sorry, didn't know that.
  • rprrpr Frets: 308
    Might be worth checking out Alnico 2 or Alnico 3 pickups- they have a warmer, more pronounced mid range, whilst keeping a vintage tone and output.
    I've seen tele bridge sized Charlie Christian pickups,  but not sure about neck ones that can be fitted without mods.
    @megii is a jazz player, who uses fender style guitars and has built a few, it might be worth asking him for advice.

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2324
    edited November 2014
    I don't really like the neck hotrails at all. Way too hot, and seems to be overcompensating for the smaller pickup size by being way too warm-sounding (but not the way a regular humbucker sounds warm).

EDIT: It does actually split pretty well, though, to be fair.
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Cheers @rpr - I'm no expert on this stuff, but FWIW I did not really get on with the Lil 59 you sold me - was worth a try, but I found the tone just a bit cold sounding, and slightly brittle. Not awful, but nothing like the nice alnico 2 PAF type humbucker I have in one guitar. I think now, if I wanted a fat, warm kind of tone, suitable for jazz, from a strat-sized pickup, I would go for one of the strat-size P90 hybrid type things that are done by Lollar, or Vintage Vibe (aka Pete Biltoft). Maybe Ash at Oil City would rustle something tasty up if asked?

Also, FWIW, my limited experience has been that alnico 2/3 do seem to work better for me, as a jazz player, whatever the type of pickup. Seems a bit of a blanket statement, but there you go.
    Cheers. Rio Grande do a Tele sized neck p90 too.
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Loobs said:
    Cheers. Rio Grande do a Tele sized neck p90 too.
    You're right, good point. Think I'd probably go for the Pete Biltoft ones if I was buying - just on price, and also he seems to be tuned in to the needs of the jazz guitarist more. I have used a Lace Blue strat pickup for jazz in the past, and found it not bad at all - better than the Lil 59 anyhow, but have since found better things (for jazz) pickup-wise.