Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

For all you PRS Fans

What's Hot

Comments

• andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited November 2014

I would consider myself a sorta-kinda PRS fan, but what I like about my Starla X is that it's everything PRS represents in terms of build quality and playability without all the pearloid and figured wood and shit. Can't be doing with that.

The DGT (the last one) is quite nice, but the other two just look like costume jewelry.

Don't give up on PRS yet, these are nice (and expensive):

McCarty Singlecut

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The pink one isn't the right pink for me, the cream one is the best, actually really quite like that.

The bottom one is really a bit much for me.

Gimme the creamy coloured one, what a fantastic and unusual finish!
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30893
    andyoz said:

I would consider myself a sorta-kinda PRS fan, but what I like about my Starla X is that it's everything PRS represents in terms of build quality and playability without all the pearloid and figured wood and shit. Can't be doing with that.

The DGT (the last one) is quite nice, but the other two just look like costume jewelry.

Don't give up on PRS yet, these are nice (and expensive):

McCarty Singlecut Les Paul Copy avec oiseaux

Fixed.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30893
    So understated it's invisible.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage;412409" said:
    So understated it's invisible.
    Lol - link works for me. I've never figured out the photos thing - I'm clearly a Luddite....
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1259
    edited November 2014
    Why is it 'okay' to have a flame-topped Les Paul but not a PRS? Vintage Gibsons were Paul Reed Smith's original inspiration - it don't get all the negativity towards them on a PRS.

I 'get' why fancy Strats shouldn't have maple tops - even more so with Teles - but a guitar which is made of mahogany and maple may as well have a nice top on it.

Same with inlays - people generally love 42 & 45 series Martins - but inlay a bird into a PRS fingerboard and it's the work of the devil....

Really bizarre inverse snobbery....

I can only speak for myself but while I'm fine with a pretty piece of wood whatever it's on and whoever made it I'm not at all keen on the modern trend for finishing techniques which exaggerate the figuring. Gibson generally seem less inclined to this than other manufacturers, PRS are among the worst "offenders"[1], and older guitars don't seem to "suffer"[1] it at all.

@MattG will be along any moment to mention my '80s Japanese Fotoflame Strat which not only looks like it's outrageously figured but is also a complete fake... Incidentally his PRS SC  is very, very, very pretty with quite  lovely figuring on the top but it's (to my eyes at least) unusually low key for a PRS and all the better for it.

[1] Quotes to indicate that this is an entirely subjective, personal position...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • I wanted to open this thread to find it simply saying:

...."you're wrong".

:D

• andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited November 2014
    Their SC245 is nicely understated IMO.  Mine has the same finish as this one (photos off the web as I've never been able to get a decent photo of the top of mine):

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
     Can we have a picture of the '58 Strat please?
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    I know this is only a photo of a figured top on a cheap guitar, but it's the kind of figuring that I like.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• Lixarto said:
    Lol or wisdom....lol or wisdom...?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    edited November 2014
    Mine's pretty understated:
    You mean this one?

If so, very nice. Although I can't help feeling it'd be better with a Bigsby. ;)
  • ^ yeah I took one of those off the 335 in my avatar....
  • Lixarto said:
    Okay but it's clearly a refinished body (and he does say it is)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    I don't even like Strats much and that's still easily the best looking guitar in this thread.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Thank you!
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11873
    edited November 2014
    I just place an order for a PRS-trat.

Maple neck.
    Maple board.
    Alder body
    25.5" Scale
    3 single coils
    5 way switch.

Basically a Strat with a set neck but with Locking tuners & PRS Tremolo.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLin;412888" said:

Maple neck.Maple board.Alder body25.5" Scale

3 single coils5 way switch.Locking tuners
    It's like a strat...

I've never seen one of those in the flesh, but I must ask... Why did you want the PRS over a strat? Genuine question - I don't know what the difference is.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11873
    edited November 2014
    RaymondLin;412888" said:

Maple neck.Maple board.Alder body25.5" Scale

3 single coils5 way switch.Locking tuners
    It's like a strat...

I've never seen one of those in the flesh, but I must ask... Why did you want the PRS over a strat? Genuine question - I don't know what the difference is.
    Not really a fan of the Strat look mostly.  

All my PRS has perfect intonation, I even like the resistance (or lack of) on the knobs.  It also quite light, 7.5lbs, I love PRS's locking tuners.  The 305 basically is a Strat on steroids, something if the Strat ever evolve, this is what I imagine it will turn out like in 50 years.  And I paid 1/3rd less of what it goes for on eBay ! So cheaper than what an American Strat retails for too.  

p.s. the point of the photo was I adore how plain this white PRS is.  Can't get any plainer without losing the birds.