Close encounter of the t0nez kind.

What's Hot
EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
edited November 2014 in Guitar
I went to a gig last week. It was a band called Spoon. I hadn't heard of Spoon, but they have been going a long time and their fans were certainly enthusiastic.

Supporting them was a guy called Hamilton Leithauser, who sometimes just sang and sometimes strummed a Telecaster while he sang. He was very good, gave it everything.
He was accompanied by a chap in a white shirt and a tie, and a black coat, who was sitting on the end of a battered old Fender Pro Reverb playing a Jaguar. 

One of the best, if not the best live guitar sound I've heard. He was playing melodic single notes and two-note chords crystal clean with reverb, except on a couple of occasions where he turned up the guitar's volume and really hit the strings playing some chords, where it got a little bit crunchy, but mainly just louder. It sounded like an electric guitar, and a bit like a piano and a bit like bells - the notes were stiff and strident, no compression. It was just hypnotic. 

That's the sound I want. Made me think I might get Ash to rewind my neck pickup to something resembling a chimey Jag pickup at some point, so enamoured was I. Very glad I bought my Princeton. Just want it back!
 - Ed
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    Maybe worth mentioning too is that I'd always assumed that the Jazzmaster had the monopoly on pure deep chimey clean sounds, with its long scale and such, and that the Jaguar was a sort of dirty, clattery, rough little brother. I shall consider Jaguars differently in future.
  • If you liked Hamilton Leithauser, you should check out The Walkmen, I believe the guitarist live is the same guitarist from the Walkmen - Paul Maroon.
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    Oooooh! Great tip - cheers!

I actually went to find some Hamilton Leithauser to buy, but on previewing the tracks I found that the albums didn't have the rawness or the beautiful guitar of the live sound. Shame. :(
  • Jags can sing like angels
    ignore all the angry shoe gaze stuff and go try one
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12649
    +1 

A good Jaguar will do all a Tele can do, with most of what a Strat can do with a smattering of what a Jazzmaster can do.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• if you want proof of jaguars doing chimey clean sounds,just look up robin guthrie/johnny marr for all the proof you need  :D

i will be getting my own jaguar in the next 13 days (a squier vintage modern in white with tortoiseshell pickguard).

i cannot bloody wait  
    :D
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90