Sorted-ish

What's Hot
guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4134
edited October 2013 in Acoustics
So I should have bought one of these last year when I had my hands on one in Denmark St (and at a great price, of all places!!!), but they sold out before I'd made my mind up. Westside have since stopped being a distributor/dealer for RK so weren't able to get another in for me. It appears that Thomann have too, as they had one at a great price a little while ago but I didn't have the cash at the time. *EDIT* I've just noticed the 127 seems to have been dropped from the RK site... bummer.

Essentially, it's their take on an 000-28EC; all-solid woods, with a LOVELY chunky V profile neck, and an ebony fingerboard. If you can point me in the direction of another guitar of that spec, under £500 then I'd check it out too. I'm mainly after the RO-127 with the herringbone binding, but the RO-227 is pretty nice too with the abalone trim and (slightly glow-in-the-dark-tinged) Ivoroid. Either way, I've not played another acoustic that's grabbed me like these for less than £3k before, so I want one! :D

I've got a search setup on ebay, and the only ones I can find for sale new are £499, which is a little steep compared to what I've seen them at before but I'm still tempted as it matched the Clapton sig in all regards when I played them side by side.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13568
     LOVELY chunky V profile neck, 
    *bites lip*

:D
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I had a feeling you'd say that! :D

Seriously though, that wide nut & neck profile fitted my hands perfectly. I've only got a Yamaha F310 currently (my first guitar) and it's just too narrow at the nut & bridge to play cleanly, plus I've just noticed the top has bellied while I've been away in London for the past year so I've decommissioned it for a bit until it's fixed. Hardly worth it really, except for the sentimental value attatched. :)
  • I'd been thinking about getting some sort of Recording King guitar for ages but they seem to suffer from patchy distribution in the UK. What there is seems to be the lower-end, laminated back and sides instruments. I plumped for a Loar in the end (part of the Recording King empire), which I got from Thomann at a very good price. Stunning quality for a £200 guitar, I bet the all-solid wood ones are something else and well worth hunting down.
  • I've not played a dud yet - there were about 40 or so in Westside when I first went in last summer, I played through most of them (with the intention of finding something J45-ish...) and picked the 127/227 as my favourite. The only difference between the two is cosmetic hence why I don't mind so much which I end up with. I don't think I tried any of the Loars, but they had a few iirc?

I also played a lot of the Sigma range - very nice too, and I don't mind the laminate back/sides, but the neck profiles were mostly slim C's and were narrower at the nut too. :(
  • birdobirdo Frets: 24
    Don't sigma do a 000-28vs ? I think the VS means vintage style which means it has a wider neck.
  • Yup, but it has a slim C profile, and a rosewood fingerboard. Good price though, and I do like the tone of it. :)
  • I may have GAS-sed... pics to follow when it arrives :)
  • No pics! It turned up yesterday and was lovely, an RK RO27 - basically the old version of what I was after, and the same barring a rosewood fretboard & bridge instead of ebony, and different inlays. Slightly slimmer neck than I recall too, but still a soft V.

However, it's very orange which is a shame. I know it'd continue to bug me, even though I'd bought it for a great price, so it's going back tomorrow. 

The search continues!
  • Is this the one you were looking for? Seems they have updated it and "hidden" it on their web site. http://www.recordingking.com/index.php/products/guitars-all-models/guitars-ro127
  • That is lovely.  Are you gonna whack a Bigsby on it?  Was this the Bigsby related purchase you were referring too? :)

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • It is indeed, except it's only in their discontinued range now. :(

There's one on ebay atm but the stupid fecker has added to soundboard mounted pots :@

And no, not my bigsby-related (possible) purchase! :D
  • http://www.hartnollguitars.co.uk/Recording_King_RO127_All_Solid_Acoustic_Guitar_PDT_10888

Cheapest price I could find, apart from the one I bought today in Edinburgh