Fano Guitars - Anyone Tried 'Em ?

What's Hot
I know Doug has them at Coda, and I'll be heading down there on Monday morning :)

Anyone tried em, own one etc and which are your fave combinations ?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• shugzshugz Frets: 768
    I have had 3. These were all pre Builder's Guild ones.

Extremely well made guitars, think Custom Shop quality sort of guitars as a benchmark in terms of build quality. I have not tried the PBG ones though so don't know how they compare.

The JM6 is my favourite, I like the look of the Firebird style one too. Well worth checking out I'd say, great guitars.

Cheers
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

• Hugh,

Thanks mate !

They do some interesting pick up combinations, and I love relics and I'd like to try the TV Jones pick ups...
  • The Premier Builders Guild stuff I've tried have all been very well made. I think the shiny, new type finish is some type of poly... but the reliced ones are nitro.

If you're going to Coda... try the Baker B3 guitars as well. Again made by PBG... and some interesting specs and pickups.

Oh... and try the PBG Kolls as well. That secondhand one they've got plays nicely.

Good luck... and enjoy your Monday morning... sounds like fun.

• Strat...

It sounds expensive !!!

Fortunately, I have some funds available after a few Cornish sales, and an amp (or two) is my priority,
    and I'll try all those you've mentioned...

Better take my lunch with me !!!

Waz
  • Lunch?!?!?

Take your sleeping bag too.

Lots of nice things to try. Couple of nice looking second hand Collings electrics too.

• TrotterTrotter Frets: 516
    As above lovely guitars but I couldn't get on with the tonestyler circuits that they did, I like to be able to select my own amount of tone, not have it preset for me. Not sure if all models have this? Otherwise very nice (if too expensive IMO) guitars.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22779
    edited November 2014
    I have an SP6, built by the Premier Builders Guild guys.  A cross between a Les Paul Special and a Tele, nothing could suit me better I thought...... I'd wanted one for a long time but it took me a good 6 or 7 years before I finally took the plunge.

It's a really good guitar but, to be honest, didn't quite live up to my expectations.  Of course they're relics so they're not supposed to be "perfect", but some of the workmanship - the fret ends, for example - isn't quite what I'd expect at the price.  Definitely try before you buy.

Regarding the ToneStyler, I don't think it's standard any more but is still available as an extra-cost option.  Mine has it, I think it's quite clever but I'd probably be happier with an ordinary tone control.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mr_airmr_air Frets: 24
    I played a couple of Fanos in a shop a month or so ago. The one that really caught me was a JM6 with p90s. It really played and sounded great both clean and overdriven. I tried a few other models but no of them could live up to the feel and tone of the JM6. If only I was rich I had walked out of the shop with a new guitar.
  • xHymnalxHymnal Frets: 255
    I had a JM6 a while back. Such a nice guitar. Foolishly sold it and got an anderson which I regretted :|

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Really like the look of them. 

(Be warned - Lance Keltner can make anything sound good ......)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • @Jalapeno You're so right about Lance - I've been drawn in by his demos before, and he could make a comb and tissue sound great....
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7024
    tFB Trader
    My customer Adam from has a couple. They are good solid guitars.

(I also sorted Matt's Mustang in the vid)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • So... it's now Monday afternoon... what did you buy this morning, Mr Wazmeister?
  • You really don't want to know....

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Oooooh... I think I do!
  • While I have no cash... let me live vicariously through your purchases!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Wow for the use of "vicariously" :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • No guitars I'm afraid... but there might have been one, er... or two... new amps...

This was the scene of the alleged crime....

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GuitarMonkey, that's my first ever Wow! Let me award you a Wisdom - for having the good taste to grant a Wow... without there being a hint of quilty-topped gorgeousness displayed in my post!