NGD- Semi GAS sated...

BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
edited November 2014 in Guitar
Having sold off a few unused pedals, I saved up enough for this...
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c243/Ian_Lea/Mobile Uploads/DSC_0552_zpsxxmgzwbw.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c243/Ian_Lea/Mobile Uploads/DSC_0554_zpsuxb6kj9n.jpg

Given my budget, I'd narrowed it down to the Ibanez AS93 or a Hagstrom Viking. Tried the two back to back today and settled on the Ibanez. The Ibanez felt more "alive" for want of a better term. It had better sustain, projected much louder unplugged and felt like a much better quality instrument, despite it's lower price tag. The build quality is very, very good. It is overall brighter than the Hagstrom but the tone controls offer quite a lot of range.
I really wanted to like the Hagstrom but I didn't think the build quality or sound were there. The pickup selector was intermittent, the pickups seemed to have a more limited tone range and the trapeze was very, very close to the body meaning that the slightest pressure on it made it contact the top. The Ibanez is a LOT of guitar for the money and it's easy to see why the Artcore/ Artstar range gets the praise they do.
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    Sweet. Love the Ibanez AS types. Very "jam band" in a way that makes you work on your modal shit. Eric Krasno-tastic: 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2355
    that's very nice :D
  • for me they are the kings of the sub £1000 price bracket. 

Good gas bud. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    I'd rather have one of these than a epiphone, good score bud :)
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    edited November 2014
    DrJazzTap;414777" said:
    I'd rather have one of these than a epiphone, good score bud :)
    Tried a couple of Epiphones (Dot's) but didn't like them personally. The ones I tried sounded flat/dead and I didn't like the necks.
    Really pleased with the Ibanez, especially as it was funded entirely by pedals I wasn't using any more..
  • I had an as103 which was very well built. I do regret trading it.
  • Good GAS, Sir! :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Excellent swag ! B-)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Very nice. You need to learn some John Scofield now.
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    edited November 2014
    Cool. I have an early 00s as120. It's rad. Korean made. Got it for £300.