H&K Tubemeister 36

siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
edited August 2013 in Amps
I've got whatever the equivalent of GAS is for amps (AAS ?). 

Any thoughts on them before I embark on a 90 mile round trip to go and try one?

Thanks
“He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ragingbenragingben Frets: 107
    They are fantastic, I've had one since last July and it has been great. However mine let me down after 8 months and had to go back to Germany - I used Thomann who were great, BUT they provide you with the 230v version (they are based in Germany after all) and after the amp had been available for 3-4 months Hughes and Kettner released a 240v version specifically for the UK. Around 2 months ago they changed their status on the 230v amps used in the UK and said they will not honour any warranties for those of us using 230v in the UK. Now, you have to wonder, is this something they are doing to stop people buying from outside the UK form companies such as Thomann to protect the UK dealers, or does it point to an amp built with ridiculous tolerances? My betting is it is to protect UK delears, and Thomann certainly think the same, after a few emails back and forth they thougtht it was bizzare and said told me that there is no difference between the 2 amps apart from the voltage label on the back.

Anyway, my point is definitely buy a 240v version in the UK and don't be tempted to save a few pounds from importing, but if you do use Thomann who have said they will honor the 3 year warranty no matter what!

Although it is an amp that is supposed to be great for all situations I have found it to be pretty fizzy at low volumes which you can tame with an EQ in the loop. The amps EQ is pretty strange, each knob is very interactive with the others and requires you to sometimes dial in the knobs to be in positions that you would normally find awful - so EQ with your ears not your eyes! Back on MR I had a few chats with kebabkid who also has a 36 about this. The clean channel is very hifi, but is excellent and cuts through well. Lots of head room at 36w, has a nice character. Cranked up the crunch channel is really good, I love it and use it way more that expected with my band on original stuff. It sits really well in the mix and has a nice amount of character to it, with a overdrive in front it can get there at lower volumes too, 5w it's awesome. The lead channel is great when cranked, I reckon you have to go just under half way on the volume on whatever wattage you are at to really get it to sound good though, which is way too loud for normal bedroom playing even at 1w unless you have tolerant neighbors. The MIDI is really well done, and adds a lot of options to the amp, and is something I would miss if I went back.

If the 36 remains reliable - gigged it and rehersed it for the last 5 months without problem - then it is a winner. However I have heard of lots of problems with the reverb unit becoming hissy (it is actually the weakest part of the amp in my opinion, too much high end to it) but this does appear to be on the earlier units, mine has been fine. It is certainly worth a try, great amp, just try to get a trial in where you can turn up to rehearsal levels. For bedroom use only I would recommend something else, maybe a single channel amp that takes pedals well, but for gigging jamming etc it is awesome.

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2325
    I ab'd one against a statesman. I bought the statesman as the clean channel is nicer and i marginally preferred the dirt channel on the statesman.
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    edited August 2013
    @ragingben
    Thanks for your opinions and account of your experiences with it.  Now that you remind me I recall reading your early thoughts about it on MR.  The voltage thing is odd but some of the UK dealers claiming to have stock are currently cheaper than Thomann so that should not be an issue although I do like the Thomann 3 year warranty and have had excellent service from them in the past.  If I get one it will be for use with the band so I'll take your advice and try and crank it a bit if I can when I go and have a look at one.  From what I've read and heard it will suit me very well.  My only nagging doubt is the question mark about reliability.   

@thomasw88
    Interesting.  I'll check the statesman out too.  Thanks
    siremoon;4132" said:
     My only nagging doubt is the question mark about reliability.

I agree - as a versatile amp it is fantastic, the only thing at the moment that would give it the boot is if it screws up again. I take a backup to gigs which is a good idea anyway, but normally I would leave the back up in the car where as these days it goes in with me ready for a quick switcheroo!

Having said that, overall reliability seems pretty good as there aren't many horror stories on the net (well, ones not posted by me!) and they have been available over a year now.
    Not sure how to quote on this new system yet!
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    I've been looking at these as cheap gigging amp - not sure if it reminds me too much of my old triamp though and would make me wish I'd got another one of them lol
    It certainly has the features to make it practical amp if it has enough headroom in a loud band.
    ragingben said:

Having said that, overall reliability seems pretty good as there aren't many horror stories on the net (well, ones not posted by me!) and they have been available over a year now.
    I haven't found much adverse comment either but I'm not sure how many are actually out there.  Stock appears to be coming through to the dealers again now but they've been very thin on the ground until recently.
    I'm not sure either, I know of a few guys with them but they aren't exactly in abundance either. In fairness though everyone who does have one seems to like it!
    Well I'll certainly go and give one a test drive I think.  Thanks for your input :)
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    edited August 2013
    I have the head and cab and it's a good sounding, versatile, loud enough to gig and portable set up.
    Reliability-wise, I had a noisy reverb early on but that was a valve and the shop replaced the head and no issues since (approx.a year old) and it's gigged.
    The EQ, particularly on the OD channels, is weird and I don't think you get great results if you set everything to noon or on generic settings that might work well on other amps. Thomas Blug, H&K demonstrater, recommends bass and middle almost full up and treble at 10-11 o'clock- weird but it seems to work with a Strat!
    At the mo, I prefer using my pedalboard into the very good clean channel as I like my various and different overdrive pedals, but I do occasionally put my delay and mods in the loop and the rest through the front, making use of all the amp channels. Either way, it works well. It takes pedals well but I think Ragingben will agree that it prefers lower gain ODs as opposed to anything too gainy.
    Recommended!
  • Technically - we in the UK have a 230v power supply NOT 240.

Historically, we had 240v while Europe had 220v.  In practice, the fluctuations in both supplies (aloud within the tolerances) meant that both supplies usually fell in the 230v range - and in a politically driven decision - all of Europe now has a nominal 230v supply.

230v is now the figure used for all electrical calculations in the UK, and all equipment should be supplied capable of using a 230v supply.  There should be no issues with equipment meant for the EU working on the UK supply.

edited August 2013

230v is now the figure used for all electrical calculations in the UK, and all equipment should be supplied capable of using a 230v supply.  There should be no issues with equipment meant for the EU working on the UK supply.

Agreed, however the H&K website explicitly states that if it is bought in Europe and used in the UK then it voids the warranty. 
    @Kebabkid

Thanks for the info.  I think I'll be mainly using the clean channel and I do have a board full of pedals so should be able to run things in the way you describe. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    You're welcome Siremoon and I noticed your location - Guitar Guitar, Epsom have the amps and you can take your board up there and try them.

My one is the 240V model and I spoke to H&K prior to buying and they thought the separate head (weighs just 17lbs) and cab sounded better to their ears than the combo. Can't say on that one as I've not compared them, but IMHO the H&K 1x12 Celestion-loaded bass reflex cab sounds better and fuller than any other 1x12 cab I've had (Boogie, EV, Marshall) but some folks think it's pricey for what it is.
    edited August 2013

Kebabkid said:
    You're welcome Siremoon and I noticed your location - Guitar Guitar, Epsom have the amps and you can take your board up there and try them.

My one is the 240V model and I spoke to H&K prior to buying and they thought the separate head (weighs just 17lbs) and cab sounded better to their ears than the combo. Can't say on that one as I've not compared them, but IMHO the H&K 1x12 Celestion-loaded bass reflex cab sounds better and fuller than any other 1x12 cab I've had (Boogie, EV, Marshall) but some folks think it's pricey for what it is.
    Unfortunately GuitarGuitar are no longer going to carry the range according to the guy I spoke to at Epsom.  He said the reason was "problems with availability and pricing".   So I'm probably looking at a trip down to GAK when I can find the time. 

I was looking at the head and cab rather than the combo so thanks for the info about that.  :)