PRS SE Soapbar problem

RockerRocker Frets: 4978
My PRS SE Soapbar seems to have a problem.  It has a problem when compared to my other guitars.  When tuned accurately to standard tuning (using my Peterson StroboStomp), strings fretted on the second fret, and all the way to the seventh fret, are around 5 cents sharp. This came to a head when I played 'Born to run' by Bruce Springsteen this evening.  The opening riff did not sound "right" on the PRS but it did on the Tele and the Strat [both Fenders].

I then proceeded with tuning checks and the results are as above.  Anyone any idea why or what should I get done by a guitar tech to rectify the problem.  The guitar has a PRS one piece wraparound bridge.  I got the pickups upgraded recently but never noticed this problem before. Perhaps the new pups are showing up weaknesses in the guitar.

Any suggestions guys?  Thanks.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72297
    If it's in tune at the open notes and the first fret, and also from the 8th fret upwards, it's not a nut problem or bridge intonation problem, and it's unlikely to be the pickups - they more usually cause problems further up the neck.

It sounds like there might be slightly too much relief, which would make the action too high in that area especially - where the neck is most curved - and mean you're pulling the strings down further, hence bending them sharp. Check the relief by holding the guitar in the playing position, fret the G string at the first and last frets, and look at the gap between the string and the 7-8th frets. It should be less than the string diameter, preferably less than half, or even less than that. (But there should be a tiny gap, not quite it touching the frets.)

But what are you doing playing Born To Run on a PRS anyway?! Use the Tele! :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    ICBM said:
    But what are you doing playing Born To Run on a PRS anyway?! Use the Tele! :).

Yes @ICBM, you always ask the difficult questions :)

In the last couple of weeks, we had most of the interior of our house painted.  Dirty work with lots of sanding.  All my guitars, which usually stand on a Thomann Rockstand, were cased and put away.  The PRS went into its gig bag and as it was top of the pile, I took it out to restart my playing after everything that got disturbed for and during the painting, was replaced.

Even my amps are packed away so I used my little Marshall MS2 rather than play acoustically.  Playing an A chord sounded all wrong - just like the guitar was out of tune.  Anyway I went through the checks as outlined in my first post.

Rechecking everything, I now find that most of the fretted notes on the PRS are 5 cents sharp, which sounds little enough, but I can hear it.  The Fender Tele is slightly sharp at the second fret, about 1 or 2 cents, but that is not noticeable to me and chords sound right.

I will take the guitar to a tech in Dublin sometime in the next week or two.  I carried out the test you suggested and it looked OK but I am not knowledgeable enough to state that it is OK.

As they say, watch this space.  I will update this thread if and when some work on the guitar is done.  Thanks.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    edited November 2014
    What you're describing reminds me of problems I've had with typical factory setups on far-eastern guitars. They tend to leave the nut slots too high, presumably rather than risk going too far the other way, and this has caused sharp notes.
    However, I only really noticed this on the first few frets. It was cleared up by a decent setup from @SteveRobinson 
    Not sure if this applies to your PRS as you say it affects notes up to fret 7. Just thought it worth mentioning.
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360

How old are the strings? I had a Soapbar SE and it seemed quite sensitive to tired strings and pickup height. Outside of that I'd go with a full set up. 

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7333
    edited November 2014
    My SEII P90 is largely intonated still from new (old stock) 2009 - except for the bloody G. I have had to resort to re-file the nut slots in a couple of positions a bit of a time over time.

The G (and others) intonates at the 12th OK but the G goes out of tune on fretting the G at the 1st fret if heavy handed  - and of course some days are better than others!

and @ICBM - the SEII has great Tele-like tones (amongst others!)
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    57Deluxe said:
    @ICBM - the SEII has great Tele-like tones (amongst others!)
    My SE is the same shape as a Gibson LP Junior [single cut].  To me a Tele has a sound all of its own.  The SE too has its own unique sound.  Mine sounds quite different to a Tele or my CS Strat.  Your instrument looks very nice BTW and I note that you have two rather good amps......

@cbilly22, your comments on strings is interesting.  Some months ago and before the pickup upgrade, I strung my SE with Elixir 10s.  I choose those strings as they last a long time!  Maybe Elixirs are not the best choice for an SE!  As previously stated, the guitar will be in the hands of a tech soon.  I am hoping that the nut is the culprit.  The nut on my SE is a nasty square shaped plastic thing.  I might get it replaced with a good nut, which will likely be white.  The black pickup covers would need replacing as they too are black.  This ought to be a very minor issue as covers are readily available.  

All 'strings' suggestions appreciated.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum