Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

EMG pickups - general experiences? (Active guitar pickups discussion)

What's Hot
guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
edited February 2015 in Guitar
Since switching to using using lower tunings (C#/Drop B) I'm finding I prefer tighter and more aggressive tones than previously, from my bridge humbuckers.  I wouldn't categorise myself as a stereotypical metal player though I do use a fair bit of gain - I use a lot of big chords across the neck and play melodies within chords so I'm not purely chugging on high gain tones, the sound of the plain strings is quite important to me in chords.  I also use mid gain (volume pedal rolled back) tones a fair bit where I'll pick chords across all the strings, so I'd like something that had decent clarity in that situation too.

The idea of trying out the classic two EMG pickups 81 and 85 in the bridge position is something I've fancied, but now it looks like the newer 57 bridge might be even more up my street paired with the 66 in the neck.  I've never tried an EMG loaded guitar through my own setup, only ever tried them in shops / guitar workshops, so I'm not 100% sure what to expect but have some idea.

I want to try some different pickups in my CU22, which has the stock HFS/VB set.  The HFS feels like it has too much lows on the low end, and too much highs on the high end, and a bit lacking in bite for me across the mids... It has the power but the voicing isn't right for my tastes.  The Vintage Bass feels a bit bassy and dull.  Further down the line I want a brighter set of pickups in my singlecut which has #7s - the bridge pickup now feels a bit underpowered and congested in the lower tuning with the thicker strings, but changing pickups in the CU22 would come first.

The set on paper that looks like it'd work best for me is the 57/66, though I'd love to try out the 81/85 combo too as I know a lot of my favourite heavier players have used one of those pickups in the bridge position at some point (plus that set is cheaper).

So what are people's experiences with EMG pickups?  I'm also interested in any experiences people have with the single coils and H/S/S sets in case I decide to swap out what is in my strat currently (Dimarzio BC2/Area 67/Area 61).

To date my favourite sounding pickup for lower tuning has been the Duncan Custom, closely followed by a Dimarzio 7 string pickup - I wish I'd checked which it was but from the date and appearance it was either an Evo or a Blaze 7.  But yeah both ceramic and hot passives.  If I was just going to grab another passive I'd probably get a Duncan Custom first, but I fancy trying something new.  Ampwise I use an Axe FX 2/GT1000FX through a Mesa 2x12.

Cheers for any discussion.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1263
    edited November 2014
    Afraid I have no experience with EMGs, so I can't help you there.

But, reading your first paragraph, I thought that the Oil City prototypes that @ThePrettyDamned put in his PRS-alike (passives, admittedly) might be right up your street?
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7843
    They are boring. They make every guitar sound exactly the same.

I'd get the excellent pickups offered by Bareknuckle, Mojo or Oil City instead.

Marlin
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24242
    The EMG 81/85 is best when used the "wrong" way round.

85 at the bridge and 81 at the neck.

The 81 can be shrill and is lowered powered than the 85. When the 81 is used at the neck if becomes a superb pickup.

The 85, being higher output was always a stupid choice for the neck position as the extra string movement gives a higher output anyway. But in the bridge position it's a full and clear pickup that never gets painfully cutting.

Definitely worth trying that way round.

• i recently joined a Metallica tribute so bought an EMG loaded guitar. I'd never used them before, (I have used Suhr Aldrichs for a number of years now) and I have to say i'm pleasantly surprised.

Pros:
    Consistency - they always sound the same when you plug in - the feel and EQ at low and band volumes is very similar to my ears, this might be all in my head but...
    Compression - They make playing heavy fast picked stuff a breeze, it's easy to see why EMGs are used extensively for metal, they just work
    Flat EQ - they sound very even to me, i'm used the Aldrich/JB mid spike but the EMGs are very flat sounding to me
    Sing for leads - As above they make playing solos, especially fast passages very easy, you don't have to fight them
    They are quiet - zero noise even at high gain

Cons:
    Not very versatile - they do one thing very well and that's about it...
    Not as "natural" sounding as passives, there's less nuances and subtlety

I would go for it - you can pick up a set used pretty easily and they usually have solder-less connections so are easy to install.
    You're welcome to borrow my LTD for a couple of days if you pick it up and bring it back ( i need it on Friday night though!)

Rik

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I found them a bit "lifeless" and bland.

I replaced them in my ESP with DiMarzio's (Fred/Virtual Hot PAF) which are much nicer to my ears (even though I like metal)

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12664
    I don't like them - too 'flat' for me. Quiet when using monster gain, tho

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10402
    I've been using EMG pickups since 1988, had em in loads of guitars including my current one. Yes there are better sounding pickups when it comes to recording and playing at home but for playing live they are very hard to beat as they solve a lot of problems you come across in live environment. Nothing cuts through a mix as evenly as an EMG equipped guitar in a typical rock band lineup. It might not be the most inspiring tone but it's even and has a presence that allows you to hear every note without needing excessive volume. Personally I like the tone of the Les Paul I have but the guy mixing the band says mixing the EMG'ed guitar is so much easier because it's so even and well defined. 

There's other benefits as well, your immune to shocks as they don't use an earth. There's no buzz from lighting rigs, you can drive long cables with no tone suck because their own internal impedance is very low. So a good "Live " pickup but there are nicer sounding pickups to record with or goof around with at home.

My faves are the 85, the 89 and the Gilmour set
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • The het set is awesome. And I think is exactly what you want.

It's designed to roll off better and have nicer cleans iirc, it sounded huge though.
  • Danny speaks the truth - i would agree if you want "note bloom" and "overtones" on a beautifully recorded album then stick to passive, but for live use in a heavy band they get the job done superbly.

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Might also be worth talking to the resident pickup builders. I'd imagine all of them would take a different approach to winding a pickup specifically for downtuning. I got on fine with EMGs when I had them, and live they are great. But I suspect there are better things out there.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    edited November 2014

i recently joined a Metallica tribute so bought an EMG loaded guitar. I'd never used them before, (I have used Suhr Aldrichs for a number of years now) and I have to say i'm pleasantly surprised.

Pros:
    Consistency - they always sound the same when you plug in - the feel and EQ at low and band volumes is very similar to my ears, this might be all in my head but...
    Compression - They make playing heavy fast picked stuff a breeze, it's easy to see why EMGs are used extensively for metal, they just work
    Flat EQ - they sound very even to me, i'm used the Aldrich/JB mid spike but the EMGs are very flat sounding to me
    Sing for leads - As above they make playing solos, especially fast passages very easy, you don't have to fight them
    They are quiet - zero noise even at high gain

Cons:
    Not very versatile - they do one thing very well and that's about it...
    Not as "natural" sounding as passives, there's less nuances and subtlety

I would go for it - you can pick up a set used pretty easily and they usually have solder-less connections so are easy to install.
    You're welcome to borrow my LTD for a couple of days if you pick it up and bring it back ( i need it on Friday night though!)

Rik

Thanks for the detailed post Rik.  Are you using an 81 bridge?

The offer is really generous but I'm guessing you're in standard tuning with fairly standard sized strings?  I wouldn't want to mess with the setup of your guitar if I tried it out, I'm in C#/Drop B using 11-56s.

Danny1969 said:
    I've been using EMG pickups since 1988, had em in loads of guitars including my current one. Yes there are better sounding pickups when it comes to recording and playing at home but for playing live they are very hard to beat as they solve a lot of problems you come across in live environment. Nothing cuts through a mix as evenly as an EMG equipped guitar in a typical rock band lineup. It might not be the most inspiring tone but it's even and has a presence that allows you to hear every note without needing excessive volume. Personally I like the tone of the Les Paul I have but the guy mixing the band says mixing the EMG'ed guitar is so much easier because it's so even and well defined. 

There's other benefits as well, your immune to shocks as they don't use an earth. There's no buzz from lighting rigs, you can drive long cables with no tone suck because their own internal impedance is very low. So a good "Live " pickup but there are nicer sounding pickups to record with or goof around with at home.

My faves are the 85, the 89 and the Gilmour set

Thanks Danny.

For recording I've always got my Les Paul but the reason I love the CU22 is it just fits me spot on and it weighs bugger all. The tone being even and well defined would really help translate the way I'm playing, I think.  Plus I reckon it'd be nice to have the option for recording certain passages.

I actually like the neck pickup on the Singlecut it just needs a more appropriate bridge pickup, so I'd be pretty open to staying passive here and getting something with a bit more power and openness.  My first thought would be a Duncan Custom but I'd be up for trying new things.

With the Strat I've been wondering if my best solution is to have two pick guards.  Have one with noiseless pickups and another some nice passive real singles.  But I reckon I'll come to that later... it is an ongoing frustration but not a priority.  I just miss loving that guitar, it has been a little disappointing ever since I started messing with it!

I guess first port of call would be to try some EMGs in the CU22 and see how I feel about them.

The het set is awesome. And I think is exactly what you want.

It's designed to roll off better and have nicer cleans iirc, it sounded huge though.

Got to admit - the 57/66 and Het set are what got me interested in trying EMGs this time around.  I've done a lot more research into the 57/66 set but I'll look up some more reviews/clips of the Het set.

Cheers guys 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11889
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/15449/

I like EMGs, fitted to 30% or so of my electrics
    You'll have to try them, people have strong opinions, but it's down to personal taste really

They sound more like an acoustic tone than normal HB passives, and many passives add various distortions and gritty artefacts. I find EMGs are easier to use wuith active EQ. Mind you, passives would be too
    My steinbergers have 81/85 with active bass/treble, can do most tones

89s are a good option to cover strat and HB tones
  • Yep 81/60 in my LTD, not tried the 85 or the Het Set...

I do play in std tuning indeed so maybe not the best idea :D

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24242
    impmann said:
    I don't like them - too 'flat' for me. Quiet when using monster gain, tho

85 in the bridge isn't very flat. Sounds like a massive PAF in that position.
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    Have a guitar with 85, SA, 85. Echo what most have said. Not the most inspiring clean tones, but good EQ'ing and use of reverb/fx can fix that. For live, they are a dream. No hum, no noise, a consistent tone, consistent output across all strings, the list goes on. I did the mod w/ the two 12v batteries instead of a single 9v and that cost less than a tenner and improved the clean tone a lot.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11889
    I love the clean tones
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    I have 81 85 SA etc fitted to 2 Strats and my Ibanez RG, they really come alive when run at 18v :) It is also worth noting that you need to run them a lot closer to the strings than passive pickups, remember virtually no string pull at all, I love the black critters ;)
  • ToneControl;415816" said:
    I love the clean tones
    Same here.

It's a super clear, bell like thing going - almost piano like.

Not my favourite for funk, but they're ace for arpeggiated stuff. Apparently good for jazz, too, but I'm no jazzer.
  • gjonesygjonesy Frets: 145
    The EMG 81/85 is best when used the "wrong" way round.

85 at the bridge and 81 at the neck.

The 81 can be shrill and is lowered powered than the 85. When the 81 is used at the neck if becomes a superb pickup.

The 85, being higher output was always a stupid choice for the neck position as the extra string movement gives a higher output anyway. But in the bridge position it's a full and clear pickup that never gets painfully cutting.

Definitely worth trying that way round.

completely agree with this, hated the set the right way round. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hmm, well if someone buys my VS pedal I might grab the ZW set and give that a go first both ways round to see what I prefer.

Thomann do it for £115 which seems pretty reasonable.  A set of the Hetfields or 57/66s is going to be at least £180+ depending on colour.

On paper it looks like all of them might work, I'm just going to have to try them out!