Twisted Cable

What's Hot
FaffFaff Frets: 29
Just wondering if anyone's got a solution for my guitar cable getting twisted and curled up. I have a 4m cable down into the pedal board and in no time it seems to be twisted curled up on itself. I have to unplug and straighten it. Maybe I shouldn't jig about as I'm playing - no not a solution.
Guitarist for...  HEY PIXIES - The UK's most gigantic PIXIES tribute band
http://www.facebook.com/heypixies
"We don't actually own any of this gear - we're just looking after it for the next Fretboarder."

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    Yes - a wireless.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Divine noise 50/50 great cables
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited November 2014
    How do you coil your cables?

Try it this way:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    edited November 2014
    Definitely go wireless.

An added benefit is you can stand anywhere during a sound-check and gain an idea of how you will sound to the audience....
  • FaffFaff Frets: 29
    edited November 2014
    Wireless is the obvious solution. Maybe I'll look into that - what sort of cost do we start at for something decent. 

I didn't realise they were so cheap - but is it any good?

"We don't actually own any of this gear - we're just looking after it for the next Fretboarder."

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    If you do stay with cables, Fender Custom shop Tweed cables are very good and don't misbehave.
    I've been using them for years.
    I have one of those somewhere. I'll try it next time

• koss59koss59 Frets: 846
    Pete Cornish cables don't ever get tangled and are bomb proof
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549
    Alnico said:
    If you do stay with cables, Fender Custom shop Tweed cables are very good and don't misbehave.
    I've been using them for years.

I've got one of them and agree (I call it my Gucci lead). The plain black PVC(?) covered ones are good as well.

I use this method for coiling...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuRm5wYEvLs

When I plug in, it goes into the pedal/amp first, then I pay out the cable from that end until I get to the guitar end and plug into the guitar. That way, there are some big loops on the floor next to me, with the loops nearer the guitar at the top - if I move away, I'm not dragging the loop from the bottom first.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

koss59 said:
    Pete Cornish cables don't ever get tangled and are bomb proof
    For the price, I would hope they're proof against asteroid impact and the zombie apocalypse.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    They pretty much are, and have a lifetime guarantee, which unlike the Fender custom shop/ planet waves and all that other stuff you won't ever need. I don't think £60 for a cable is unreasonable if you play professionally and want something reliable.

• 1nten5e1nten5e Frets: 245
    Stop turning the same way :D
    Probably not - and to be fair, they get proportionately cheaper the longer you get them, it's just the short ones that look a bit silly. I know a lot of the cost is in the labour and not the cable!

I'm not sure about him using Switchcraft right-angle plugs on speaker cables either - they're notoriously crap, and charging extra for them is really the wrong way round. Should be Neutrik as standard on all speaker cables.

I've not bothered with his speaker cables but my right angled plugs on the guitar cable is Neutrik.
    My cable is reliable - its decent Van Damme & Neutrik. I like it because it's thinner and more pliable than off the shelf cables but maybe that's the very reason it twists so much.
    With xmas coming - I'm getting tempted by going wireless. I'll give the AKG a punt as it's cheap but has nothing but good reviews everywhere. I'm also wary of buy cheap - buy twice so I'll see.