Composition Challenge #6 "The Rank Stench of Those Bodies Haunts Me Still"

What's Hot

Comments

• samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    cheers @TTony...i have a mac, and have used garageband...i have found that to be the most user friendly...and i still had problems. admittedly, i could spend more time with it...or make life easy for myself and actually play riffs to drum loops...but sometimes i have no patience with technology!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27346
    I've used PCs and all sorts of software since the mid-80s, and played guitar since the late-70s.

I really should have cracked making music and recording guitars on PCs a long long long time ago.

It took the iPad, a simple cheap interface, and these challenges to get me to do anything though.  With that set-up, everything is so easy, it's easy to create something simple and half-decent and learn a lot from doing it.  With those basics sorted, and with the inspiration of listening to what others have created, I'm now looking at moving on to full-fat GarageBand on my MacBook, or trying out Reaper.

The first step is probably the hardest ....
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    what do you use on iPad? garageband?
    Yup. JamUp Pro is another great iPad app, but that's more for guitar alone. GB obviously allows you to add drums, keys, etc.
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    If you get bored of garageband and want to grow without leaving your iPad, check out Cubasis. Great bit of kit, and as long as you think of it as a program/software rather than an App then the cost is actually pretty reasonable. Plus, if you want to move to Mac/PC then you can pick up Cubase Elements for £80 and import all your projects from the iPad with no issues at all. You get a great crossplatform DAW :)
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • As hinted at earlier, it was music challenges that finally got me into the dark recesses of DAW-dom. But, once there I learnt a lot and very quickly and then all sorts of stuff becomes your oyster.

I now run a bunch of drums and synths. Hell, I even have an Eastern European Orchestra on tap should the mood take me! ;)

Warning: VST's can be very addictive - It's a whole new realm of GAS!!!!!!
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    edited January 2015
    ok...so i had an hour or so today to play guitar, between my son sleeping and 9month pregnant wife sleeping too. So I recorded the song on guitar only...and although i would like to polish it off, time is not on my side. 

I guess Sheldon will post it at some point...the song is an instrumental, but has a story behind it...so when listening to song, please read this along with it...each segments is part of the store. Its a fictitious (but probably could have been true) of an Australian soldier who fought in Gallipoli and was part of one of the many failed landing campaign that the Ottomans repelled.

It starts by arriving in Turkey, unknown and exotic location for him who has no idea what his getting himself into. But there is still a sense of adventure and belief that he is fighting for his country.

They arrive, and from the moment they hit the beach they are fighting with the enemy. He scrambles to get to safe position, where ever he can. There are soldiers falling around him and he can help some, but some he has to leave behind. He shoots his way through the barage of gun fire and drags an injured friend with him. He sees a large rock and heads there and pull his friend behind the rock and they are safe for now.

The fight is still raging on, but for a few moments they can rest and take stock of whats going on. His friend is not badly injured, looks like the bullet went straight through his shoulder, didnt hit any bones. His in pain, but he'll be ok. He helps his friend wrap some cloth around the injury to stop the bleeding. 

But they need to leave, they need to move to safer grounds, they start to motivate themselves and get their energy up to a point where they can run out without fear.

They leap out, but they make slow progress trying to stay out of range of the enemies bullets. They find other vantage points that they can hide behind for moments before they have to move on. As they look on they can see the fighting ahead is much worse. The enemy forces have changed focus and have canons firing up ahead. They have to leave, they have to keep moving. 

The men share a look, and they both know whats at stake, they look forward and only forward and they make one last run, their rifles by their sides, no time to shoot just run and avoid bullets.

Bullets spray towards them as a few enemies have spotted them and they are aiming and shooting but they are missing.

One enemy soldier yells at the another, and the Canon moves and changes aim slightly

The canon fires....

...once....

...twice...

...three times...his friend is hit...he stops and turns back...

The Canon fires again...

He's hit, he can't feel his limbs, he can still see around him, guns firing, cannons firing. Explosions and falling bodies.

He has no strength to move, he knows he will die on this foreign land, only moments left now and all he can think of is his home on the other side of the world...his family and his girlfriend who he'd hoped to marry when he got back.

Everything starts to get hazy as time stops still. Dead bodies surround them, as his vision blurs and fades to black.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Wow, that was quick!

Can I suggest that this story gets copied into the SoundCloud track notes so that people can read them while listening on to the entries on SC?
    It was quick, but not a great take. Its probably the last time i can play out loud for a few months, so had to do it today. Not making excuses, but its not perfect in anyway.
  • steamabacus;421439" said:
    Wow, that was quick!

Can I suggest that this story gets copied into the SoundCloud track notes so that people can read them while listening on to the entries on SC?
    steamabacus;421439" said:
    Wow, that was quick!

Yep no problem can do
    Old Is Gold
  • Really looking forward to getting my teeth into this once ive decided what direction to go in.

I cant decide whether my guitar playing can do justice to the weight of this one, but if I go classical I'm wary of being too cliché...decisions decisions!
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • How are people getting along with this?
    Old Is Gold
  • I've got a pretty good outline, I'm just waiting to hear back from Helen Mirren about doing the voiceover.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've not had time to think about this much. Hopefully I'll get time to record something - maybe an improvised live looping piece or something like that?

When's the deadline, again?
  • I've not had time to think about this much. Hopefully I'll get time to record something - maybe an improvised live looping piece or something like that?

When's the deadline, again?
    15th jan is the deadline
    Old Is Gold
  • I've got a couple of weeks, then.
    :bz
    How are people getting along with this?
    I've almost finished thinking about mine.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Really hope I havve time for this one.......
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • PolarityMan;459451" said:
    Really hope I havve time for this one.......
    Gotta keep the faith babe!

Old Is Gold
  • I've had ideas, hope to get something in by the 15th (ooh err)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic