NGD - Gibson mini-mini Jumbo

What's Hot
ICBMICBM Frets: 72314
edited November 2014 in Acoustics
Finally managed to find enough money to buy a guitar that I've had on loan/trial from a friend for a couple of months, today...

It's a Gibson CJ-165. If a J-185 is a mini J-200, then a CJ-165 is a mini J-185 or a mini-mini J-200!

Maple back and sides and neck, spruce top. From pics online, most of them seem to have a different pickguard or no pickguard, but this is definitely original.

It's very deep for such a small guitar - almost the same depth as my full Dreadnought-sized Dove (which is also all-maple/spruce). Tone-wise it's possibly not at all what you would expect for a small all-maple guitar - it's not bright. The Dove is actually a lot brighter, as well as deeper - more even, almost scooped. This is the opposite - almost all midrange, very thick and punchy - which is quite odd considering they're built so similarly, and was even made in the same year (2008).

It really complements the Dove perfectly - which is funny, since I didn't think the Dove needed complementing until I heard this guitar! So there is still no 'perfect' acoustic. But possibly there is a perfect pair :). I tried not to want to buy it for ages too - I don't really 'need' it - but it really just would have been too hard to let it go.

Another interesting fact is that now I own the same number of acoustic guitars as I do electrics, which is the first time that's been true since I was 18. Must be getting old ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    edited November 2014
    Ooh, that looks purty!

Good that you got to try before you bought it, too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lovely. I wold have liked to try one of those when I got my Dove but couldn't try one. Looks like it'll have to stay on the list :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Happy NGD. A friend of mine has a J185.

I really like the balanced tone and projection from those smaller Gibbos.

Enjoy! :)
  • Ding dong!

• CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4258
    Nice one man! Have read many times about your love for the dove, hopefully this matches up to that.

The 'belly up' versus 'belly-down' bridge thing always intrigues me. Was it a structural decision, or just designed to be different?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72314
    CloudNine said:
    Nice one man! Have read many times about your love for the dove, hopefully this matches up to that.

The 'belly up' versus 'belly-down' bridge thing always intrigues me. Was it a structural decision, or just designed to be different?
    No idea. Martin always did them the other way round. Structurally, it probably doesn't make a lot of difference. Gibson always bolted their bridges anyway!

I think the Dove will always be 'my' guitar, and in truth it is 'better' than this in the sense that it has a more 'universal' sound - you can do more with it, it's more even across the frequency range and very balanced. I actually thought it was totally even until I played this one next to it, and it turns out the Dove is slightly hollow in the mids, which is OK since I tend to like that sort of sound.

What this one ends is my search for a 'cheap-sounding' guitar. I don't mean that in a bad way - I was looking for something more middy, smaller-sounding and almost boxy in some ways, and I expected it would be a cheap guitar that did it best. Actually no - I tried several and was never happy - but this one does, it's the same sort of sound but just much better.

It also happens to be an extremely comfortable guitar to play - more so than the Dove, which demands you hold it right, at least if you're my size! - this one is small enough that you can just slouch on the sofa with it. The neck is marginally smaller too, as well as shorter scale (24.75" vs 25.5 for the Dove).

The only disadvantage of it being an 'expensive cheap guitar' is that I can't just chuck it around at open jams like I was hoping to be able to! Unlike most Gibsons I'm sure the neck will stay in one piece, being maple, but it's still a lot more fragile than my resonator so I'll probably keep that as well if I can afford to...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GassageGassage Frets: 30903
    Mini Jumbo?

Would that make it a mumbo?

Or a MumboJumbo?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2014

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    !!!

Nice.  Always wanted a Dove too.   I need more guitars.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30903
    Gorgeous. Simply lovely.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thank you :).

The funny thing is that if I saw a PRS with that much flame on it, I would be the first to say it was horrible! It seems OK for the back of an acoustic, but not for the top of an electric for some reason. No, I don't know why...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22788
    Gosh, that's lovely.  It's not often I get acoustic GAS.

• Ooh yeh, that's nice!
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    What a fantastic looking guitar

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM;430316" said:
    Looks lovely.

Do you have to move your sofa when you want to read a book from one of the lower shelves?
  • The Tube Amp Book - what a surprise! ;)
    richardhomer said:

Do you have to move your sofa when you want to read a book from one of the lower shelves?
    Yes, but it's very light and on felt pads - I actually turned it round for that pic, in fact. It certainly weighs less than my amp, anyway ;).
    thermionic said:

The Tube Amp Book - what a surprise! ;)
    Signed by Aspen Pittman, too :).

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428

Beautiful looking guitar @ICBM  ;

I thought I wouldn't like maple bodied acoustics (assumed they would be too bright) until I tried a Lowden in GG Edinburgh recently, beautifully balanced tone it had.