Rehearsal Techniques

What's Hot
Hi all,

After years of doing nothing, I find myself in a 4 piece bind of like minded individuals.

We enjoy playing and we are now getting serious about making the best noise we can with our available (limited) talents.

This week, rather than just run through the songs that we know, we stepped back and spent time on four of them. Basically we worked on the backing vocals but we also found ourselves discussing arrangements and how we end the songs.

It was a great night and those 4 songs are massively improved.

So it made me think.

How do bands rehearse?

Do you all turn up and run through the set or do you have any tips to pass on about practicing?

Cheers
Mike
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've found it's best to decide beforehand what to work on and come prepared. Do a couple of looseners, then spend some targeted time working on specific songs - like you did last rehearsal!

Running through a set is something you should only really need to do to prepare for a gig. It's important though - make it as real as possible, don't stop for anything, it's not the same as a real gig but that extra pressure can tell.

I find it's also worth planning song transitions, ie. how to get from each song to the next. Make it slick.

R.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    It totally depends.

I like to have a game plan based on what the band is currently up to. If we've not gigged for a few weeks I like to use both weeknight practices to run through setlists, generally get tight and confident for the show.

If we do two gigs one weekend then there's another gig the following weekend I'm more likely to suggest just a quick runthrough of parts of the set so we can concentrate on new songs.

If we're writing and there's no gigs scheduled for a while it's not uncommon for us just to work on one song over the whole practice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I can give you a long list of what not to ! ~X( It also depends to some extent on what type of band you are, an originals band may have different priorities to a covers band. Generally speaking rehearsal time is for what you can't do at home - it's not for learning songs, discussions about the band logo, reminiscing and fart jokes. Getting a song that sounds rough into shape, working on endings, transitions, BV's,etc are the kind of thing. For something like working out backing vocals if that's a lengthy process and doesn't involve the whole band would it be better done at a sub rehearsal ? I'm also not against the idea that if you aren't regularly gigging then rehearsal is a time to play and get tight as a band, actually enjoy the process. I do know, however, that not everyone in a band always agrees on that.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • In our weekly rehearsals we intersperse playing existing songs with writing new songs (typically via jamming over new chord sequences or basslines). We never have a plan as such, but there are only three of us and we are all really focused and into it.

If we have an imminent gig we make sure the proposed setlist is played through and timed. We also have tea and posh biscuits.

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • The general plan we use is to run through the whole set of stable songs (as an originals band, that's not a huge list - 10 songs at the moment, plus three covers). Once that's done - and assuming there weren't any issues we need to look at - we tend to move on to new stuff. Never more than two new songs per week, until they get incorporated into the full set and we move on to the next two.

Right before a gig, we'll usually do two runs through the set, just to make sure.
    <space for hire>
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    As a covers band we use rehearsals for arranging new songs, and running through the current set list to keep it fresh in our minds.  I say "arranging" because sitting at home each of us can easily learn how the original, and any covers of it, were played on recordings and live.  However rehearsal is where we agree beginnings and endings, and which of the lines and hooks from the original we are going to use.  So, similarly to @PermanentWaves, we warm up on a known song, focus on a couple of new song arrangements, and finish off blowing through some more of he set list.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    I should add that we all contribute ideas to the arrangement. Each of us has a view of what works from the audiences perspective, as well as our own capabilities.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    I've found it's best to decide beforehand what to work on and come prepared. Do a couple of looseners, then spend some targeted time working on specific songs - like you did last rehearsal!

Running through a set is something you should only really need to do to prepare for a gig. It's important though - make it as real as possible, don't stop for anything, it's not the same as a real gig but that extra pressure can tell.

I find it's also worth planning song transitions, ie. how to get from each song to the next. Make it slick.

R.

Wisdomz :) my last 'proper' band also used to have the odd acoustic session to work on vocals etc, saves booking out a rehearsal room and actually makes you focus more on what you're singing when you're not amplified (particularly as you're not straining to even be heard over a full-bore band through a rehearsal room PA, let alone to pick out potentially complex harmonies).
  • nickpnickp Frets: 182
    Do the difficult/new songs at the beginning of the session not at the end when you are all tired.

helps to reverse the order of songs sometimes - if you practice songs in the set in order then you are rehearsing the final songs again when knackered and wanting to go home - so start on the encores sometimes and work backwards.

I agree with others that I don't find it acceptable turning up to rehearsal not having done a significant amount of work on new songs (we are a covers band) so that we can work on arrangements and difficult bits in the rehearsal - there is some dialogue between me and the other guitarist to sort out who does what (just easy most of the time - i'll do the low bits, you do the high, or leave me to the chords while you do.....)

learning new material and getting good at it has proved to be much quicker now we have been playing together for a while.