Martin dealers doing deals on Martin LX1E

What's Hot
darcymdarcym Frets: 1297

After prodding around for a replacement for my parlour guitar that has a neck to wide, I found the Martin LX1E pretty much fit the bill almost perfectly, there where others better/worse better value/worse value, but this ticked the boxes best and balanced against price, close against it's sigma rival very close,

Found it online for £409 which seems a fair price, anyone aware of any martin deals that may get a few quid off or better deal ?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TinLipTinLip Frets: 368
    Nah mate, I did the same dance about 6 months ago. £409 is the best I could find (in Europe) - unless you have someone coming from the USA...

• That's all
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • smigeonsmigeon Frets: 282
    Yep. I tried the Martin and the Taylor GS Mini side by side recently in a shop. Came out with the Taylor. It's a bit uncanny how such a pint-sized guitar can sound so rich and full and grown-up.
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    sorted haggled a display model down to sub £300 :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Shit !! What a deal

How do you find it? I'm so close to pulling the trigger on the Taylor but the Martin keeps calling me

What's the playbility like? I have a light touch so can't deal with big high actions!
    edited November 2014
    so I'll give you a proper feedback when I get it home and actually sit down and play with it properly, but basically great little guitar and for the money very good.

The Taylor is a better guitar, no question of it, bigger sound little more full, however, for what I wanted thats not actually good, I've got full size Taylor / Martin to cover the standard acoustic stuff, I wanted something a little brighter/snappy to try some clever picking stuff and also pickup and go when I'm up north.

I had this covered with a Sigma but as you probably saw in my other thread the finger board was just too wide for me (I'll be selling that shortly) as good as a guitar as it was, I needed something small.

The martin has a full sound, for it's size amazing, little dull in the mids compared to the Taylor, but I'm more than comfortable with that.

Action is pretty good out of the box, I "may" drop the bridge a little but it depends, the strings on it at the moment are way too light, so I'll put my strings on it and see how it feels.

give me a few days or so to settle it in and find out the good/bads of it but I think it will tick the box of what I wanted perfectly.

Body is small and I'll change the strap pin position as on the underside of the neck join, I think it makes it neck heavy.

Lets see how it is.

I'd be interested how you got on with it and would possibly suggest the Martin maybe better for you as you are a bit bigger than me and had bigger hands, I think I'm probably at the limit of the size for the smaller body, but as my hands aren't big I can get away with the neck, the taylor was more like a comfortable electric neck, so as you're a little bigger I'd suggest you may get on with the neck/body a bit better on the taylor, don't know though.
  • what sigma model are you selling Matt

Wide necks suit my sausage fingers!

edited November 2014

00015-s I'll get all the info on it when I get home

pretty certain it's this one

http://www.sigma-guitars.com/index.php?id=305

• Hmm, i think too small Matt

would prefer something woth built in electrickery too.

yeah, to put a pickup in it worked out about £120 including the pickup, as I only wanted it for home stuff I wasn't bothered, I planned to put a bridge pickup in if it got used, but due to the neck, it doesn't work for me, so never put one in. I think you'd be surprised at the body/neck size on it, but it's not a sales pitch, I'll do that later in a different thread, really good guitar, but the fingerboard kills me.
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    I have the LXM and it's great, small, decent sound, kid proof (so far), doesn't appear to mark or dent. Very pleased.

My only reservation is that a LX1E would have allowed me to mess around with looping, but hey ho.

ok, so after a little bit of playing, basically - this guitar is exactly what it says on the description exactly.

The onboard electronics / pickup isn't great (tuner is quite useful but not as accurate as say a TU3) certainly good enough to do a pub gig.

Acoustic sound actually really good for a guitar it's size, really snappy to play.

The visual look on the woods is actually really nice and it seems well put together.

If I'd paid £400 for this I'd think "fair price" perhaps even "could be a bit more expensive", however for just under £300 it's fantastic it really is.

The small scale is cool for doing some clever things that are a bit tricky on full scale acoustics,  

Small scale also works really good with slide.

I chose to move the strap peg to the back of the neck rather than the taylor position on the underside of the heel.

it's never going to replace a full size martin or taylor as a recording guitar, or even as a gigging guitar, but it really is exactly what it says in the description and very much excellent value.

If you have big hand/big guy then the body is way too small for you and you'll struggle with the neck too