Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Advice please - small, light, amp. Has to be loud...

What's Hot
impmannimpmann Frets: 12641
I currently have a ZT Lunchbox that I use for rehearsals and as a back up for catastrophes live... but its just not loud enough in a band mix. The little speaker just farts out at high volume and it doesn't fill the space with sound...

So I'm looking for suggestions for a small, lightweight amp. The band I play in is LOUD (that ain't changing) and we play mainly old school punk covers (Pistols, Clash etc), plus some new wave stuff and some Ska. I use pedals for OD and Distortion, plus I have a booster for solos (so could use some headroom).

I'd prefer it to be a small combo - but may consider a small head and cab. Plus not hideously expensive/boutiquey etc...

Ta!
Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Pretty sure there's an R&R SOLO amp up for sale around here somewhere...50W two-channel valve amp, weighs about 5kg. Sure, you have to put it in a rack, but ABS ones are light enough.
    <space for hire>
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12641
    I just checked out Chappers' review of that on YT. Interesting piece of kit, but maybe a bit 1) pricey and 2) gain-tastic for what I need... 

...Unless someone has one for a couple of hundred spons they want to shift, that is!!

• The one for sale here is actually the very unit that Rob reviewed - I had it first, then sold it on in a fit of stupidity. Brilliant little amp.
    <space for hire>
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 911
    Someone was selling a Wharfedale TCT35 a couple of weeks ago. 35w valve combo. I bought one a few years back when they were knocking them out cheap following the rebranding to Albion. It's a versatile and well built amp and very loud for a 1x12 combo.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9550
    ZT Club - basically a Lunchbox but with a 12" speaker. 10db louder according to the specs. You're probably already aware, but just in case, each additional 10db should give a doubling of perceived volume.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    I am aware of the Club - I'd love one, but they £200 dearer than the normal lunchbox... 

• welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1808
    edited November 2014
    my Egnater in classifieds?

Here
  • I think if you put your budget in you'll get a more tailored response. HTH.
    edited November 2014
    Very nice... Pity you aren't closer - I'd like to try one out... :-) 

OK - in terms of budget, possibly up to £400 BUT (BIG BUT) I'd rather spend a lot less as this is a back up/rehearsal amp. I only paid £400 for my HRD which is my main amp.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    40 *LOUD* watts, 2x6L6 3x12AX7 1x10" - Bassman/Marshall tone....

Pignose G40V

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Roland Cube - 60 or 80XL. Very compact, plenty loud, lots of clean headroom, sound good and take pedals well. Both are now discontinued (they've updated the range) but are easy to find used. Both also have a line out to run straight into a PA if required - I've never needed to though and our drummer hits hard! Shouldn't need to spend more than £160 tops for the 80XL
  • Have you considered getting a proper cab for the Lunchbox? I ran my Eleven Rack into a Lunchbox for a while - sounded fantastic with a 2x12" or 1x12" (and a lot louder).
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    HAL9000 said:
    ZT Club - basically a Lunchbox but with a 12" speaker. 10db louder according to the specs. You're probably already aware, but just in case, each additional 10db should give a doubling of perceived volume.
    10dB is a doubling of power (or possibly sound pressure level, can never remember whether it includes the factor of two), it doesn't sound twice as loud, dB intervals are supposed to sound equally 'louder' i.e. 100dB should sound as much louder than 90dB as 110dB does compared to 100dB, despite the fact the power difference from 90 to 100 is smaller than that from 100 to 110.
    But yes, it's should be a big difference in the actual volume out, 6.5" to 12" higher efficiency speaker. It's pretty amazing the difference in speaker efficiency makes.
    Like @digitalscream suggests, using a proper cab would do the same thing.
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 911
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/26108/ Found the Wharfedale mentioned above.
    Thanks for the suggestions - I have thought about a cab but it kinda negates the grab n go point of the ZT. If I'm dragging a 1x12 cab to rehearsals plus the ZT, I may as well take the Hot Rod Deluxe. In a live situation, if the HRD goes down (it has done!) then I can plug the ZT into the pedal board and the HRD speaker (Celestion) and off I go again... its just the rehearsal thing.

Maybe I should think about the ZT Club, then...

I think I may be going around in circles!!

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Have you considered getting a proper cab for the Lunchbox? I ran my Eleven Rack into a Lunchbox for a while - sounded fantastic with a 2x12" or 1x12" (and a lot louder).
    This. 

Check out the YouTube videos of ZT Lunchbox via a 4x12
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    @digitalscream

The R&R is indeed for sale, but not for £200 :)

The standard answer for light, loud and cheap (and also good-sounding and reliable) is a Peavey Bandit.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2014
    LIGHT????????? The last one I owned weighed the same (roughly) as my HRD. 
    I'll give you good sounding, loud and cheap though... :-)
    Edit: Book weight for a Bandit is 44.6lb. Book weight for a HRD is 45lb. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I have that Laney head mate
    You would need a cab (Harley Benson???)
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    impmann said:
    LIGHT????????? The last one I owned weighed the same (roughly) as my HRD. 
    I'll give you good sounding, loud and cheap though... :-)

Edit: Book weight for a Bandit is 44.6lb. Book weight for a HRD is 45lb. 
    Exactly. Light.

I'm actually surprised Bandits are even that heavy, they don't feel it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson