Ideas for a 12 year old guitar player...?

What's Hot
My niece is 12 years old and has been playing acoustic guitar for 10 months now. It's her birthday soon and I'd like to get her something guitar related :) any recommendations for a 12 year old Girl, book or CD or accessory?

All my work is with adults so not sure whats around that's good for kids :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited November 2014
    John Martyn - Solid Air to show her what's possible with practice.

The Beatles - No.1's to give her songs she can play fairly easily and give her a good idea of musicianship plus there are plenty of play-along books with their own cd to help her learn and tons of tab / chords online.

The Complete Guitarist book by Richard Chapman. Still got my original copy from 1985 and it's been a constant resource for me on every level.

Hope that's some help to you and your Niece.

:)
  • Do you know what music she's into?  Kid at that age are normally taught what the tutor or parents want or expect them to learn, might be nice to get some books with the songs she might actually want to play.  Nothing inspires kids (or impresses their friends) more than being able to play something current.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • How about some customised picks? These guys are very good and reasonable choice/prices too.
    http://www.mybadges.co.uk/custom-printed-guitar-picks-hot-foil-celluloid.htm
  • Musicwise, she is not into anything per se, she is at that stage where she like the odd song she hears on the radio, rather than albums. I was wondering about a Disney book though, was maybe worried that she is slightly too old for that...

Beatles no.1s might be a good idea as her dad is into the beatles and plays them a lot, so at least she would know the songs.
    I think with the school she is doing some fairly dry classical / tune a day type stuff. 

All ideas welcome, especially if you have a child that reacted really well to something :) 

I'm all for supporting more guitarists in the familly!
  • How about some customised picks? These guys are very good and reasonable choice/prices too.
    http://www.mybadges.co.uk/custom-printed-guitar-picks-hot-foil-celluloid.htm
    Ohh, that could be cool!
  • The most useful thing anyone bought me when I was starting out was a reliable clip on tuner- being able to tune the guitar properly removed at least one of the options as to why it sounded bad!
  • Also a good idea - will see if she has one already, nothing worse than the struggle to tune by ear when you start out!
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    edited November 2014
    Musicwise, she is not into anything per se, she is at that stage where she like the odd song she hears on the radio, rather than albums. I was wondering about a Disney book though, was maybe worried that she is slightly too old for that...
    My daughter will be twelve next week, and is supposedly learning the flute. Just about the only thing that inspires her to play is a book of Disney tunes, and some stuff from Frozen. To be fair most of the teenage girls I know of are also pretty keen on Walt's stuff. Of course, your niece might have very diffferent tastes, but a Disney book is probably a safe bet.
  • Alnico said:
    The Complete Guitarist book by Richard Chapman. Still got my original copy from 1985 and it's been a constant resource for me on every level.
    IMO "The Guitar Handbook" by Ralph Denyer (PAN) is an even better resource especially for the beginner. I have both, btw.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    edited November 2014
    57Deluxe said:
     Link to the shop please!! :)

She has a stand already, but not a tuner, so she will soon have a nice clip on one, and a Disney song book. Going to order some personalized pics for Christmas :) 

Some good suggestions - Will leave the guitar handbooks for another year I think - maybe if she keeps going and starts to develop a real interest! 

• IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    Cool strap or something? If she's only got the standard-issue black nylon one from a starter pack a sparkly / flowery / coloured one might be a nice touch...
  • Rather than enforcing gender stereotypes, why not get some cds with just some absolutely blamming female musicians? Haim immediately springs to mind, but if you want to really start her off on the path to righteousness how about Sleater-Kinney, Marnie Stern, Speedy Ortiz, that sort of thing?
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    stimpsonslostson;419843" said:
    The most useful thing anyone bought me when I was starting out was a reliable clip on tuner- being able to tune the guitar properly removed at least one of the options as to why it sounded bad!
    Definitely agree with this if she hasn't already got one. Wife needed a cheap item to qualify for free amazon postage so threw in a tuner. Eno clip on (was£14, currently £5). Can be chromatic or guitar, vibration or mic. Nice and easy and has stopped me grabbing the iPad every time i want to tune up, although saying that Martin LXM doesn't go out of tune very often.
  • A capo is nice to have for acoustic.
  • Alnico;419806" said:
    John Martyn - Solid Air to show her what's possible with practice
    Tell her to listen to 'Easy Blues' off it and that she needs to have learned it note-for-note by the time she's 13!
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    edited November 2014
    littlethoughts said: Rather than enforcing gender stereotypes, why not get some cds with just some absolutely blamming female musicians? Haim immediately springs to mind, but if you want to really start her off on the path to righteousness how about Sleater-Kinney, Marnie Stern, Speedy Ortiz, that sort of thing?

Good idea :) Although I already got her First Aid Kit's new CD Stay Gold, might also get something by Kaki King - she can get into the more alternative stuff a little later I think (so her mum says)
  • Good call on Kaki King! To be honest when I was that age my music taste was all over the place. Some of my first tapes were David Bowie - Scary Monsters and Super Creeps, Michael Jackson - Dangerous and Shaggy's Boombastic ;)
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    edited November 2014
    57Deluxe said:
     Link to the shop please!! :)

Sent you a PM

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>