Oil City Christmas/New Year offer

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    The tapping single coils thing is something that I'm surprised is not done more often. The P90 I've messed about with that had a tapped coil was like having two different pickups. From 50 s rock to Leslie West at the tap of a button. The note separation was very good as well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10240
    tFB Trader
    Fiddly for big manufacturers to do .... sells more pickups to if you only do a high and a low output one. The poor guitarist has to have two guitars with two different pickups. It's all about the buck!
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• Oooo exciting.....I'll be getting new Oil City Pick-ups for my Strat in January!

:)
  • What would you recommend for a Lester-style (Michael Kelly Patriot Custom) - to bring it into vintage territory, but with a usable coil tap?

Bearing in mind the fact that the current pups are fixed to the body rather than in a pickup ring.

Speculative only at this point, but you never know...
    tFB Trader
    I would have a tendency to go for a pair of my new 'Forces Sweetheart' alnico 4 humbuckers. Very Clapton/Peter Green. To get any lower power pickup to work well with a coil tap, follow the PRS way of putting a small resistor in the line to the tap switch ... making it a partial tap. All the goodness of single coil without the thinness. These don't come as standard with four conductor wiring ... but I am happy to make a pare like that for you!
    Ash
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• horsehorse Frets: 1568
    That reminds me - I dropped you a pm a couple of weeks ago Ash - just checking if you got it?
  • TheGuitarWeasel;437928" said:
    I would have a tendency to go for a pair of my new 'Forces Sweetheart' alnico 4 humbuckers. Very Clapton/Peter Green. To get any lower power pickup to work well with a coil tap, follow the PRS way of putting a small resistor in the line to the tap switch ... making it a partial tap. All the goodness of single coil without the thinness. These don't come as standard with four conductor wiring ... but I am happy to make a pare like that for you!Ash
    Still making new designs! Love it.

But staaaahhhhhhp. I won't have any money left - I'm already looking forward to a diesel tap.
    tFB Trader
    horse said:
    That reminds me - I dropped you a pm a couple of weeks ago Ash - just checking if you got it?
    PM'd sorry for the late reply!

• horsehorse Frets: 1568
    I'm now looking forward to putting two of these:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-QCjK-xJK3G8/UjsX9yTUemI/AAAAAAAAApY/HuLqSjZuPiE/s1600/ASH_0031.jpg

into this old friend, which I think I've had for nearly 20 years now:

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h411/tramp5/IMG_20141208_203646874.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    All scheduled for a build :-) 
    Mighty Nineties will be coming at ya in the new year :-)

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Hey ash, I've sent you a request. Hope you're not too bogged down by the amount of work you have.
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    This turned up on Saturday
    And got fitted at the weekend. Now, it's replacing the super cheap bridge pickup from my 2014 kit build, which was a 16k humbucker (wound very hot or wound with the thinnest wire known to man? bit of both?). So there's a low bar to clear, and it's cleared it by miles. At full volume it gets aggressive but doesn't loose top end (contrast the old humbucker which just got indistinct and growly). I can actually use the tone control. Dial it back and I can get the bell sound from harmonics that I'd begun to think I couldn't get from this guitar. I had been fretting (ha ha!) that I should maybe have gone for a topless P90 design and a covered one might still be a bit woolly, but this has turned out nicely, thanks!
    Haven't used a real P90 to be able to say whether or not this h/b sized one sounds like the real thing, but it's nice and definitely somewhere between single coil and h/b. Have to find some way to get this into the same room as my tele...