tom morello

What's Hot
racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 996
edited November 2014 in Technique
bloody awesome video from him here 

i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    Moved to technique.
  • I must have watched that about a hundred times when I was younger. I love Tom Morello's approach to the guitar. 
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    i've never listened to RATM or Audioslave....interesting video - will now go and fire up spotify

• FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    He's one of the few guitarists of that era which you can spot from a mile off on tracks, even if he's playing fairly normally.  There's just something about the way he writes a big chunky repetitive riff which is just right.

I also get a bit of a kick out of the fact that he produces probably more weird noises out of a guitar than anyone, yet uses the bare minimum of gear to do it.
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited November 2014
    nickp said:
    i've never listened to RATM or Audioslave....interesting video - will now go and fire up spotify

Neither have I really. I really enjoyed that video though, very cool. 

I watched that then watched on of the recommended vids about the same guy. Interesting that he says he recorded a song (which seems to have been a big hit) on some cheezy old guitar he bought for 40 bucks and a 20w solid state amp.
  • This one, about 2.50.
  • Great player when electric.

Though avoid his acoustic folk stuff. I saw him do one song on TV on a Glastonbury Studio set, it put me off music for a whole year.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I had always loved Tom Morello (and still love his playing) but when you read about some of the ways he behaved to Chris Cornell in Audioslave I find it really disappointing.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    I had always loved Tom Morello (and still love his playing) but when you read about some of the ways he behaved to Chris Cornell in Audioslave I find it really disappointing.
    Linky?
  • I had always loved Tom Morello (and still love his playing) but when you read about some of the ways he behaved to Chris Cornell in Audioslave I find it really disappointing.
    Linky?
    He hid his crisps on the tour bus ;-)

I never really got RATM that much, but certainly saw he was a pretty unique player. Saw him support Springsteen with his solo "Nightwatchman" set. Musically I was a bit disappointed with that, I was expecting some jaw dropping acoustic playing, but it was quite ordinary, and BIlly Bragg's much better at writing modern protest songs.

Then when he's guested with Springsteen it's been great. Awesome versions of "Ghost of Tom Joad" with a Morello trick bag/kitchen sink solo.

Linky?
    It's scattered across several articles but basically the Cornell angle is that they agreed to make a new band.  Then when they started working together Tom made it clear that he wanted Cornell simply as a replacement for Zack.  At that point, feeling a bit conned, Cornell wanted to walk so they negotiated a new band.  Part of that was that all four would contribute and take equal royalties.  Cornell then says that from that point he was left to write solo and the rest of the bands involvement was just to record parts - despite all earning the same.  They then took a lot of shit for playing in Cuba and the others just left him out front to tackle it - which when you consider what a political activist Morello purports to be is quite sad.  His final claim is that are do all the writing they Morello kept dropping hints that he might want Zack back so Cornell quit.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    I didnt know about any of that either but imho cornell is by far the more interesting player. Not a huge fan of tom morellos riffing style.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ