Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

best ever live album?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
Not 'the' best ever, but the one that you like best. 

I've found a lot of live albums a bit disappointing, particularly more modern ones. For me, a lot of the really great ones seemed to come out of the 70's. One that stands tall out of the pack in my opinion is RAINBOW - On Stage. I just love that album, it's a proper rock band playing awesome music, and the whole vibe is "LIVE" rather than 'here's a faithful reproduction of something we put together in the studio'. The only thing missing is Stargazer - they really should have put that on.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Dire Straits Alchemy
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3875
    Damned live at Shepperton 1980. Has to be The Who Live at Leeds after that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    There are too many. If DVD's count, Live At Pompeii by Pink Floyd is feckin' UP THERE!
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    "Made in Japan".
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • If I had to chose one, it would be 'Philentropy' by John Martyn.

In my youth 'Frampton Comes Alive' was constantly on my turntable and I loved to live tracks on 'Moonflower' by Santana.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I likes Weld by that there Neil Young
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    Dire Straits Alchemy
    +1   I wore out my vinyl copy of that.

Live and Dangerous is superb

Exit Stage left was great at the time but for me it has been eclipsed by more recent Rush live albums.

• Focus - Live at the Rainbow - May 1973   -  that's *the* one for me.

I was there and very impressionable, and was very impressed, a gig and an album that changed my life.

Live always had that extra energy that gets produced out of studio mixes.  Like @axisus says as long as it is not "a faithful reproduction of something we put together in the studio", because then it looses some of it's soul.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72244
    +1 for Made In Japan, Alchemy, Live At Leeds and Weld.

I'll add...

The Killers - Live From The Royal Albert Hall

and

Heather Nova - Wonderlust

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• vizviz Frets: 10681
    Wow what a list. I have never given so many wisdoms in such a small thread. I would add Iron Maiden's Live After Death "Scream for me Hammersmith!!"
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    edited September 2013
    Another +1 for Thin Lizzy's "Live & Dangerous" although having read various things by their producer, Tony Visconti, I'm not sure how much of it is actually live! But nonetheless, a classic.

Santana's "Moonflower" a close second

And something a bit different are:-
    Paco De Lucia's Sextet - "One Summer Night" & Paco De Lucia, Al Di Meola and John McLaughlin's "One Night in San Francisco".
  • Pulse
    Kebabkid said:

Paco De Lucia's Sextet - "One Summer Night" & Paco De Lucia, Al Di Meola and John McLaughlin's "One Night in San Francisco".
    Friday night in San Fancisco is a superb album -  there's a lot of notes on that recording and I loved the way you could pan to hear individual players.
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    John_P said:
    Kebabkid said:

Friday night in San Fancisco is a superb album -  there's a lot of notes on that recording and I loved the way you could pan to hear individual players.
    Yep, great album that.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Slade Alive, loud, exciting and fun. Everything that a rock band should be.

Status Quo Live, don't be fooled by the modern day Quo that appears on every other TV programme playing the same old songs. This double LP shows why they were regarded as a great rock band back in the day
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    Thanks John P and sorry, yes, "Friday Night In San Francisco" :)
    Have a Norman for correcting me
  • Another +1 for Thin Lizzy - Alive and Dangerous, even if it is supposedly half a studio album.
    Pulse
    +1   although it doesn't sound as good, I slightly prefer Delicate Sound of Thunder
  • Usually anything with Fillmore in the title is pretty ace.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• The Stranglers - Live x Cert

And since Pulse was mentioned already.

Marillion - The Thieving Magpie (La Gazza Ladra)