Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

best ever live album?

What's Hot

Comments

• johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    edited September 2013
    Some great ones mentioned already. As a huge fan of live recordings, I've discounted live DVD's, as that list would have me here all night, but here's a few I don't think have been mentioned yet 

Good call on Depeche Mode. Did you watch the film BBC4 showed of that tour a whole back?

Simple Minds not too shabby too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Funnily enough my niece booked the tickets and has to go to China with work when gig's on...

Anyway, he's been a Gabriel fan since the Genesis days, so I've offered him the ticket. Happily, he's well enough to go... Otherwise, I would have been happy to oblige!
    I hope you both enjoy it. :)
  • Dream Theater - Scenes from New York for me
  • ddlooping;41395" said:
    I hope you both enjoy it. :)
    Thank you.
  • Im a big fan of Opeth's Lamentations
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28330
    Big fan of Steve Vai's Alive in an ultra world - very ambitious project, writing tracks with a flavour of different european countries, and then recording the tracks live in those countries. One of his best CDs in my opinion, regardless of the live aspect.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    edited September 2013
    ooh,  El Mocambo  -    cracking DVD
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • TPReggieTPReggie Frets: 22
    edited September 2013
    Some really good ones listed here. 
    My favorites are may be slightly different......

Love these
    Joe Bonamassa live at the Royal Albert Hall. 
    Pink Floyd - Pulse. 
    Deff Leppard - In the Round in your face.
    Metallica S&M Live is also awesome.
  • BB King - Night of Blistering Blues
  • Late to this as usual...
    + 1 for Space Ritual & Dr Feelgood- Stupidity & Live at Leeds & Neil Young- Weld
    I seem to have a "thing" about live albums, even though I'm often a bit disappointed by them.
    Some that certainly aren't disappointing, in no order-
    Lucinda Williams- at the Fillmore
    Velvet Underground- 1969
    Dr Feelgood- As It Happens & On The Job
    Pirates- Out of Their Skulls
    Live Rust
    Cramps- Rockin N Reelin in Auckland New Zealand
    Chuck Prophet- Homemade Boot.

Also...
    Not a huge fan of Pearl Jam but I really admired the way that they put out a CD of every(?) show they did on a tour back in the early 2000's, so you could have a souvenir of when you saw them. I actually saw them then, but for some reason bought a different CD, think it was because I prefered the set list.
  • rprrpr Frets: 309
    edited September 2013
    Cramps-Smell of the Female

The Birthday Party-Drunk On The Popes Blood
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    If this thread lasts long enough it will list every single 'live' album ever released.

Recently I have been listening to Unplugged by Eric Clapton. Hard to believe it was recorded in 1992, it sounds as fresh as ever especially on headphones (Superlux).
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Sheik Yerbouti - FZ

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • MickMick Frets: 98
    Another vote for Thin Lizzy, Live and Dangerous. Either way it's one of my favourites. ;) 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72297
    Rocker said:
    If this thread lasts long enough it will list every single 'live' album ever released.

No, there are some real stinkers that you wonder why they ever saw the light of day, even for contractual reasons.

The Evanescence one springs first to mind...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band had a live album out way way back in the 1970s.  Just Googled it and it is called 'Live Bullet'.  If my memory serves me right, this was a good album.  That was when I had my first Linn LP12 turntable, Rega arm and Supex moving coil cartridge. Happy times...........  
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• If we are allowed TV recordings as well the Stax Volt show in Norway circa 1967 is worth a watch too - it was on BBC4 a few months back, so will likely be repeated soon.

Worth it to see Steve Cropper and Duck Dunn playing through Marshalls. :)
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26943
    edited September 2013
    Just remebered David Gilmour's Remember That Night Albert Hall gig. Absolute belter start to finish, and worth it for the best versions of Comfortably Numb and Shine On.. alone
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • A lot of my favourite "live" albums are collections of highlights from more than one concert rather than a document of a single performance.  Also I'm struggling to think of any rock stuff to include.  Other genres seem to work better for me as live music.  

Van Morrison: "It's Too Late to Stop Now", I think his first live album and still easily his best with better versions of some of his contemporary material than the studio albums.  My favourite track is St Dominic's Preview. The ever subtle John Platania was an underrated guitarist.

Miles Davis:  "My Funny Valentine".  I love Miles, but I'm not the type who has the stamina for the complete Plugged Nickel box set and similar.  The is a great single album collection of the slower stuff from a single concert with the second classic quintet and maybe my favourite Miles album these days.

Marvin Gaye:" Live".  Actually I think this material has been recycled in various formats but I had the original album. Marred by only so-so sound and tasteless use of overdubbed audience response but get past that and the band and singing are stellar.  Distant Lover is unbelievable.  The bass playing is as good as you'd expect.

Sinatra (with Count Basie): Sinatra at the Sands.  The showbizzy side of Sinatra but on peak form and with a great band.  

Diana Krall: Paris Concert.  A lot of people are sniffy about Krall, thinking of her the kind of safe, middle-of-the-road music your granny likes. She hasn't got the dangerous intensity of Billie Holliday or the chops of Ella or Sarah Vaughan, but but I find her more enjoyable to listen to at album length.  And she has a great track record of hiring brilliant guitarists.

Mingus at Antibes: Mingus and  Dolphy at the top of their game.

B B King: Live at Cook County Jail.  Night of Blistering Blues or Live at the Regal might have bigger reputations but this was my introduction to King and still my favourite of his albums.

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    If we are allowed TV recordings as well the Stax Volt show in Norway circa 1967 is worth a watch too - it was on BBC4 a few months back, so will likely be repeated soon.

Worth it to see Steve Cropper and Duck Dunn playing through Marshalls. :)
    Yeah, I enjoyed that. Quality stuff.

I want a Norwegian MC for our next gig!