Christmas songs in the setlist - when, which & how many?

What's Hot
bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
Got a Sunday afternoon covers gig in a pub this Sunday, 30th November. I've argued that folks will want a Christmas song or two by that stage (but not many) so we're ending the gig with I Believe In Father Christmas followed by Fairytale of New York. What's the wisdom of TheFretboard hive mind on Christmas songs in covers band gigs?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• We've done the Slade one a few times over the years....and right at then end. Best one was a town centre pub that was packed the weekend before Xmas...brilliant drunk singalong.

End of Nov might be a bit early for that though.
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    I think if I heard a band playing Christmas songs in November, I might actually start murdering people.  

I might step down to maiming about two weeks before Christmas, and progress to grudging acceptance a week before.
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    No. Not ever. Saves a lot of 'carry on'.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701

At this evening's rehearsal I lost the argument about doing Christmas songs. I wanted to limit it to the Slade one.  Apparently Christmas songs encourage punters to buy more drinks, which means that the landlord is more likely to re-book us. So that's at least five Christmas ditties to learn for next month: Slade, Wizzard, Wham, Shaking Stevens, plus some other crap.  At least they agreed that Gary Glitter was not PC, and our singers have drawn the line at Fairytale of New York.

Bah, humbug

Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Nah, too early for Christmas songs in a set, I reckon.

• It depends if they involve vikings.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    edited November 2014
    yes, get them learnt and get  them in the set. Give people what they want so they can a good time. You're not Pink Floyd :D

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• Unless anyone on here actually is in Pink Floyd. In which case I know you can take a joke and all that stuff I said about you being pretentious wankers was, y'know...although a Pink Floyd Xmas single might make you appear less serious...it's a thought...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • "Floyd the world, let them know its Pinky time"

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • that works ^ . Shared songwriting credits for @Col_Decker I think now; I'll be happy for a mention in the sleeve notes.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    My sentiments presactly.

People go out in the Pre Christmas period to party, if you're only there to be too important for your customers needs then leave them out. Simples.

Now how you interpret those time tested classics is where your artistic talent gets used.

Just my £0.02

• Originals band, no. Covers band, fuck yes. Second week of December until NYE is fair game imo. Earlier if you're booked specifically as an Xmas party.

Slade, Pogues, Wizzard all essential. Fairytale is BRILLIANT if you have 3 part harmonies. 

Darkness, Coldplay, Pretenders and Mariah all great if you are the right sort of band with a good enough singer.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires