I-Rig for Android arrives

2»

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404
    Danny1969 said:

The thing is even if you can get get your iRig low latency enough in Android to support recording it still won't help you playing live. Just about every single desk now has an ap that supports remote mixing with the ipad and personal monitoring mixing with your iphone. Having the right phone can be the difference between having a great monitor mix or putting up with what someone thinks you want these days. Shame cos Android devices are cheap as chips in comparison
    Funnily enough, I've not played a single gig (or been at a single gig) where an iPhone was required to get a decent mix, on-stage or off.
    Do you use IEM's ? whole different world and an iPhone puts you in control

For FOH mixing I do tons of gigs where they won't let me run a multicore out front so I mix on the iPad. Been a real game changer
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Ipad \ phone  is killer for mixing wedge  monitors as well as you can jump onstage and actually hear what they are hearing rather than 30 metres away FOH
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Danny1969 said:

For FOH mixing I do tons of gigs where they won't let me run a multicore out front so I mix on the iPad. Been a real game changer
    Indeed, but there are a couple of key points here:

1 - Building a remote control app for mixing is - basically - trivial, as compared with actual audio processing. In fact, desk manufacturers already support Android (Behringer and Allen & Heath are two that come to mind) for exactly this purpose.

2 - IEMs are very much a minority niche product, and remote-controlled IEMs even more so...to the point where they really have negligible bearing on whether music apps on Android will become more popular or not.
    <space for hire>
    Danny1969 said:

Indeed, but there are a couple of key points here:

1 - Building a remote control app for mixing is - basically - trivial, as compared with actual audio processing. In fact, desk manufacturers already support Android (Behringer and Allen & Heath are two that come to mind) for exactly this purpose.

2 - IEMs are very much a minority niche product, and remote-controlled IEMs even more so...to the point where they really have negligible bearing on whether music apps on Android will become more popular or not.
    It's not the IEM's that are remote controlled it's the desk. All the phone is doing is controlling the aux sends. Allen and Heath have their ap for the iPhone, there isn't an Android ap as far as I can tell

Behringers X32-Q personal monitor mixer is iPhone only too 

It's an Apple world in the live arena and in music making in general but that could change in the future. At the moment though I would only pick Android products if price was the deciding factor. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Huh...I stand corrected on Allen & Heath. Can't find the article that mentioned it, and it's clearly wrong since the only one out there is open source and has been abandoned in the last week or so. Behringer, however, do support Android for their Xenyx desks:

Look down near the bottom of the page. There's also AirFader for Yamaha desks, M32 CUE for Midas desks, uMiX for SM Pro (browser-based, since the actual functions of a mixer interface are so simple they can be done in Javascript), and countless other apps for systems that support MIDI (mainly DAWs, admittedly) from a cursory search. The same search also reveals a lot of calls from customers for manufacturers to support Android with their apps.

Just for completeness, I actually meant remote-controlled IEM mixes, but I was somewhat distracted at the time ;)
    <space for hire>
  • Will this work with a galaxy s4
  • I have lollipop on my nexus 4 so mobile recording may be within my grasp soon.

:o
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Will this work with a galaxy s4
    Doesn't sound like it's coming to S4,there's mention of 'S5 soon', though maybe they'll release android 5 for S4 eventually.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited November 2014
    My little one got a hudl 2 for Christmas and had a play with it while setting parent controls and it's quite nice, so if they get lollipop I may pick up one of those for guitar. Providing of course that everything works as it should.
  • underdog said:
    My little one got a hudl 2 for Christmas and had a play with it while setting parent controls and it's quite nice, so if they get lollipop I may pick up one of those for guitar. Providing of course that everything works as it should.
    Again...you'll have to wait for somebody (Positive Grid?) to release a product which works with something other than Samsung devices, since Amplitube appears to rely on Samsung's own audio toolkit and I doubt they're going to release that toolkit for anybody else to use.
    <space for hire>
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited November 2014
    Yeah I get that, but I'm sure someone will do it pretty quickly to try and establish a name for guitar players on android before others catch up. I'd be amazed if I-rig isn't already being worked on for non Samsung android devices, it's a huge market they won't want to miss out on.

They are using Samsung as they found a way to solve latency issues, these have since been solved by Google, so they don't have to rely on Samsung now.
  • underdog said:
    Yeah I get that, but I'm sure someone will do it pretty quickly to try and establish a name for guitar players on android before others catch up.
    You'd hope so, wouldn't you? :)
    <space for hire>
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    Meanwhile.........
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4135
    edited November 2014
    I had a chat with IK Multimedia on Twitter when the Samsung I-Rig was announced. They obviously wouldn't tell me their corporate plans - but the implication was the Samsung support was just the beginning.I think companies know the way the wind is blowing in hardware terms and it's time to get on board with Android. Line 6 already supports Android with its new (cough) Amplifi line.

Audio support with Lollipop should mean more audio gear support. Though some devices have worked well for a while. My Asus Transformer TF101 tablet, which is a few years old now (running Ice Cream Sandwich), will happily plug straight into my Presonus VSL22 recording interface and record low-latency audio in a four-track app.