A/B switching

GuitarseGuitarse Frets: 165
Hello peeps

Anyone recommend an A/B switch so I can stamp on one switch to go between two distortion pedals? One's set with a little bit of gain and the other is set higher for solos and stuff. Getting tricky having to switch one off and one on all the time. I'll never be a tap dancer!

Ta

Al
Never ever bloody anything, ever!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 27965
    Boss LS-2, or I imagine there are any number of AB loopers on EBay. Try to get one that uses a 4PDT foot switch so that the send to the unused loop is grounded.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Thanks Sporky. Good advice mate!
  • Just thinking about options / flexibility for the future, having my coffee, and a question popped in to say 'hello'.

Mr @Sporky, do you know if the Boss LS-2 switches in a way that would allow it to be used as an - input to AB out (& Y out too?) -or- using the returns - return A &/or return B to output - is there anything precluding this working OK do you know?

• Ive been using an EHX switchblade+ to good effect.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • GuitarseGuitarse Frets: 165
    edited September 2013
    The LS-2 has volume controls though Polarityman, and I have the Zvex Mastotron fuzz pedal and it doesn't have quite enough volume, so the LS-2 would give it the boost it needs (I hope), as well as enabling me to switch effortlessly between that and my Rat.

• SporkySporky Frets: 27965

Mr @Sporky, do you know if the Boss LS-2 switches in a way that would allow it to be used as an - input to AB out (& Y out too?) -or- using the returns - return A &/or return B to output - is there anything precluding this working OK do you know?
    Not sure to be honest - I think the manual can be had online. It has several modes.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72210
    I'm fairly sure it can't be used as an A/B/Y out - I think the A and B sends are active at all times, it's the returns that are switched (but I could be wrong) - but it can definitely be used as an A/B or A+B (though not at the same time) to output. It can be used as an A/B/C out though - that's the 'Line Selector' function.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Thanks chaps

• Have a look online at this one: MXR M196 A/B I found it to be awesome when running two amps.
    Now I only have one amp I don't use it anymore and if it tickles your fancy it is right here: 

:)

• BenSirAmosBenSirAmos Frets: 408
    edited September 2013
    @ChrisMusic

ICBM is correct (I think) but sometimes confusion creeps in because of abstract terms (A/B/Y)and the different ways that the LS-2 functions are described (Bypass/A/B).

I usually find a solution to my switching issue so you should think about what you need to do in more practical terms.

For example if I want to have a dry signal, one through the fuzz, one through the echo and one through the fuzz and echo together, I would still use the LS-2.

The dry signal is Bypass on the LS-2, 
    the echo and fuzz together is A+B on the LS-2 
    and if I want just the fuzz I use A+B on the LS-2 and I turn off the echo using its own switch. 

Simples. If I'm awake, I switch off the echo before I switch from the dry signal. 

There are additional options on the rotary switch so changing what you need between songs is fairly simple too - once you get your head round what it can do. I think the LS-2 will do what the OP asked for easily.

I didn't really understand your initial question to Sporky, @Chris, but if you explain what it is you want to do in real terms, we could probably come up with a solution. Using more combinations than the LS-2 can deal with in one song might be possible (and I'm sure people here will try to find some)