Irig users - advice wanted

What's Hot
I am looking at getting one of those irig Hd gizmos. The idea of just being able to plug and play appeals to me. I currently use a axe fx 2 but it can be a pain sometimes having to set it up so having another option will appeal to me - also my wife is at a loss as to what to get me for Christmas so this will be a good toy for her to buy me.

I have a couple of questions - first do i get an apple one or android. I would rather android but dont know whether it will work on a my galaxy s4. I own a xoom tablet and also a surface pro (great with the axe fx 2). If it does not work with the galaxy i assume it will work on my surface

I dont have an iphone but my daughter is an apple fan and i have promised her she can finally have an iphone for christams so she has a spare ipod touch 5th gen and also a ipad 2 which she will sell to me.

I assuem if i get the ios version then i am limited to the ipod touch.ipad only and that it wont be compatible with my surface pro.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    As it stands I would guess Apple version would be trouble free, android may have some issues to work out. Depends how serious the issues and how long they take to resolve I guess.
  • I use Irig with Apple a lot - everything works great right off the bat with no faffing - not sure how the Android version would compare, but I'd go ipad/pod everytime
  • can the apple irig also work with a pc ie I have guitar rig 5 on my pc - will the irig work as a standard audio adaptor
  • what i ideally want is something that is not tethered so i can just plug my guitar in with set of haedphones and have a display with some basic sounds etc
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 454
    Sounds like you want a line 6 miniPod. I can't remember the proper name but they look like a red kidney.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Pocket pod? I have one of those, I like it a lot for when everyone is in bed, it means I can play outside of my guitar room and not disturb anyone.

I agree it's much more simple idea than irig as long as you don't want to record.
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    An iRig with a 3.5mm audio out? Just bought a chinese copy off evilbay for £2 :)
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • sunshinewellysunshinewelly Frets: 731
    edited November 2014
    Hertz32 said:
    An iRig with a 3.5mm audio out? Just bought a chinese copy off evilbay for £2 :)
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Multimedia-IRig-Guitar-Adapter-Interface-AmpliTube-For-Iphone-Ipad-Ipod-R2-/281495254192?pt=UK_Musical_AudioMIDI_Interfaces&hash=item418a6cb4b0

do these actually work - i am not interested in recording anything - just want a bck up for those moments when i cant be arsed to set up my main rig. Just realised i actaully own a ipod touch 3rd gen - will that be powerful enough for these devices

• Hertz32 said:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Multimedia-IRig-Guitar-Adapter-Interface-AmpliTube-For-Iphone-Ipad-Ipod-R2-/281495254192?pt=UK_Musical_AudioMIDI_Interfaces&hash=item418a6cb4b0

do these actually work - i am not interested in recording anything - just want a bck up for those moments when i cant be arsed to set up my main rig. Just realised i actaully own a ipod touch 3rd gen - will that be powerful enough for these devices

Might be just me but I actually found the irig a pain in the neck ( mainly due to jack issues). The irig- hd was much much better for me.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    I've gone Apple route and it's been trouble free. I have the iPad at home with GarageBand and I have my iPhone for when I'm traveling with work again with GarageBand, cliche I know but to quote Apple everything just works!
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24265
    I had a mk1 irig, noisy crappy thing.

No doubt the HD is much better but I went with a Line 6 sonic port instead
    Mines the bog standard iRig, bought about 5 weeks ago. No noise issues here
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774

The standard Irig works fine for me too but id like an HD one just to use the Ipad as a mini practice/tool around on amp. i dont always feel like wearing headphones you know?

Im not imagining it am i - the point of the HD is that it doesnt go through the headphone socket so the sound comes out of the speakers?

Take care that you dont get too involved in it's own Amplitube app! The add ons for stuff like that can be expensive and some of the amps and effects models are poor. I find that sounds wise Garage Bands is great but much more limited. Bias and its sister pedal app Jam Up has really good sounds ands some good effects modelling. Also, you can design your own amps which is great fun and then use them with the pedals. Lots of pedal licenses too (Boss/Electro Harmonix/Fuzz Face - i think/ Cry Baby) so you can pick and choose what you want.  

• I am tempted just to get the copy irig device - does anyone know whether that will work on a PC or is it MAC only
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    edited November 2014
    It'll work on anything with a combi 3.5mm jack in theory ie. Phones and iPads

Dont quote me on it but i should work on 3.5mm audio in jacks as well, as long as you can find an alternate way of getting the audio out.
    I could plug it into the soundcard on my PC and use my m-audio monitors in combination with BIAS desktop or similar.
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    I've not liked the amplitude software either and have been more than happy with GarageBands own amp and pedal sims. I've not looked into the hd iRig but if you can hear through speakers that'd be good
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    grungebob said:
    I've not liked the amplitude software either and have been more than happy with GarageBands own amp and pedal sims. I've not looked into the hd iRig but if you can hear through speakers that'd be good

A couple of the Fender amp sims were ok in Amplitube but the vast majority of them sound pretty ropey. The Hendrix effects are atrocious.

Check Bias out. You can mod amps with different tubes/pre-amps/cabs/mic positions even. Its a lot better imho.

• I'm amazed at the quality of Bias. That plus JamUp Pro XT and you have a really useful tool for not much money. Currently money off for Black Friday too.

R.
  • whats the Bias tool - cant see that anywhere. Also noticed that there is product called apogee jam as well.

I also have come across line6 version called sonic port - that looks good as it comes with complete software package and its only £53 at thomann. 

is the sonic port as good as the others as i am tempted by this
  • I'm amazed at the quality of Bias. That plus JamUp Pro XT and you have a really useful tool for not much money. Currently money off for Black Friday too.

R.
    can seem to find a uk seller with a discount on the jam