Value of a Gibson R7 Goldtop

What's Hot
Hi all,

Looking for some advice re a value of a gibson r7 gold top.

It's in very good condition, minor marks which are unnoticeable unless you look very closely but even so this doesn't bother me.

It's a 2009 and comes with the little booklet with the cert and checklist.

The sticking point is no original case however the seller is going to source one, whether it's going to be original or not I'm unsure.

Basically I'm after opinions on the following:

Price as is
Price with a non original gibson case
Price with a genuine custom shop case

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Iain
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited November 2014
    What's the story behind the case? Always baffles me when the case is missing, damaged I can understand but missing?

£1500 if it's a good guitar, the case would bother me if it wasn't a "keeper" though.

With non original case it'd be £1500 plus cost of case.
  • Apparently the guy who got rid imported a gibbo from the states which came in a flight case for shipping but knowingly bought it without the gibson case hence keeping it.

It is a lovely guitar and I doubt I'd get rid. If I did I have another R7 which I will never ever get rid of so I could always use that case in a worst 'case' scenario. Sorry for the pun!

Cheers for the response.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Looking on eBay lately they fetch around £1800 with everything present and correct, so I think my guess was pretty close sans case :D

I'd love one, I almost bought one, but it had the pick guard fitted, and I couldn't live with screw holes showing when I removed it. Stupid I know
  • This one has the pick guard fitted too but I'd remove it and not be bothered :-) each to their own.

I know he's asking too much for it but he's also giving me a part ex deal which is way better than I'd get on a new one and given the recent price increases I don't think I'd ever be able to justify paying that much new, even with a part ex.

I'll see where I go tomorrow with it... after speaking to the wife!
    Ah part ex makes it different, what's he asking for it?
  • Basically he said £2000 with a case which made me a bit nervous. The px is my 2012 Les Paul Classic Plus in trans ebony burst. So that plus a £1000 with a case. It's a small independent shop local to me and I'd much rather trade locally but also I don't want to get shafted :-)
    edited November 2014
    Your guitar has to be worth a grand any day, it's lovely colour too, I honestly think 2k is too much without case.

I'd sell your guitar and keep watch on eBay you'd be at least 400 pound better off.

Edit: if he's not got a case tell him your guitar plus £750 and you will sort the case yourself, I'd then go spend on a case for your requirements (if it's not getting gigged a thomann case, epiphone or even no case)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Nice one cheers underdog. I'm going to have a word with him tomorrow and see where I get to.

Unfortunately in this current climate it's pretty much impossible to sell anything of that value from my experience. I've posted it on the forum and not even a sniff!

I don't think the gibson 23% price increase is helping matters either :(
    Like you said in this climate it's hard to shift things, especially expensive things, even more so expensive things with missing cases, use it to your advantage :)

He'd sell your classic 3 times over before an R7, due to the fact people have less cash, and the standards/classics/traditionals are where "real" Les Paul's start (and end) for a lot of people.
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 846
    The pick guards are fitted as standard on R7's, I'd double check to make sure it's not a 1999 as the serial numbers are the same. Get us some pics so we can take a look.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • I've jsut bought a 2010 R7 from Coda for £1899 secondhand (Under @Koss59 's instruction as he's the font of all knowledge on Historic Les Paul's!). Mine is in excellent condition with original case/cert/hang tags/warranty e.t.c.)
  • I got a mint 2008 VOS Goldtop /Darkback R7 last year with case and cert for £1500.  I'd wait, you will find a better deal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I got a mint 2008 VOS Goldtop /Darkback R7 last year with case and cert for £1500.  I'd wait, you will find a better deal.
    That's well cheap! Especially if you consider the new standards cost £2,500! Ha!

Pics?
  • I've got three gold topoptions on the go now:

1. 2010 VOS with all documents and case for £1899

2. 2012 VOS aged with all documents and case for £2500.

3. 2002 unplayed non VOS 57 RI with all documents for £1899.

Obviously one is a £3300 guitar and the other is £4500. And the 2002 I have no idea retail wise as its older. I like older guitars. I like newish guitars. I like aged guitars. What to do?!?!
  • In my experience, Gibsons vary hugely.  Do you have an opportunity to try each one... and buy the one that's most resonant or especially speaks to you?

Also... when did Gibson start (and stop) using laminated rosewood fret boards? I'd try to avoid one of those.

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3961
    edited November 2014
    I got a mint 2008 VOS Goldtop /Darkback R7 last year with case and cert for £1500.  I'd wait, you will find a better deal.
    That's well cheap! Especially if you consider the new standards cost £2,500! Ha!

Pics?
    It was a great deal but I don't have it now, got a Custom.  Here's a pic...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Panama_Jack666Panama_Jack666 Frets: 2989
    edited November 2014
    iain_psb said:
    I've got three gold topoptions on the go now:

1. 2010 VOS with all documents and case for £1899

2. 2012 VOS aged with all documents and case for £2500.

3. 2002 unplayed non VOS 57 RI with all documents for £1899.

Obviously one is a £3300 guitar and the other is £4500. And the 2002 I have no idea retail wise as its older. I like older guitars. I like newish guitars. I like aged guitars. What to do?!?!
    2010 one ;)

Have a look at the weights, make sure the model you have has the features you want (Historically accuracy, best neck profile, best pickups) e.t.c.

2010 had some pretty significant upgrades I think... @koss59 could tell you more!
  • 2013 was the year they did the major upgrades, otherwise they're all fairly similar. 2012 was the year of laminated fretboards, if that bothers you. It wouldn't me from a player point of view, but it might hurt values/saleability in future if that's a worry.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 846
    2009 had the biggest upgrades to historical accuracy but my 2005 is still the best one I've ever come across.
    Go and play them all and judge them separately.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • iain_psbiain_psb Frets: 79
    edited November 2014
    Thanks everyone. I've pulled the trigger and for me I've made the right decision:

http://worldguitars.co.uk/used-2010-57-goldtop-70102/

And I have to say Jeff is an incredibly nice bloke having spoken to him three times today only to miss the courier for tomorrow!

Thanks again all
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom