What do you think of the neck on this Gretsch?

What's Hot
jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12294
I've never seen an Electromatic with block inlays like on this one thats for sale, what do you reckon?

"OUR TOSSPOT"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• yeah, I would say they were block inlays :-P
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72245
    I'd never have guessed how awful and wrong they would look on a Gretsch.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12294
    but is it real?

"OUR TOSSPOT"
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Nothing unreal exists.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7824
    edited November 2014
    It's an old pro jet, but these usually have the 'thumb nail' fret markets.  Later models have hump block markets. This is the only one i've seen with Gibson style markers.

Is it the bolt neck version (special jet) ?
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12294
    It's a G2557, pre Fender Korean, has Electromatic in gold on the headstock rather than Gretsch, I like it.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    It looks like a pre 2003 (Fender) Electromatic Pro Jet. I'm pretty sure the original ones had a full length Bigsby tremolo tailpiece and block inlays. They were also unchambered bodies so quite heavy.
    Also the earlier models have only two height adjusting screws for each pickup. The later (Fender) Gretsch Electromatic models that use humbuckers have three for each pickup, two at the top by the bass string and one at the bottom by the treble string.
    It looks quite genuine from the photo you posted.
    I think the block inlays suit it but the scratch plate is what ruins it IMHO.
    These guitars look incredible without that scratch plate.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7824
    I had an early Pro Jet.(but with thumb nail markers).  I thought it was a POS, I hated it immensely.  I got shot of it asap.

I've also had the newer version with the Blacktop Filtertrons.  That one I liked.  Great guitar.

I've got six Gretsches at the moment.  The Corvettes are my favourite Electromatics, along with the Tim Armstrong model.

I'm after a 99 Setzer Hot Rod, or 6120RHH.....should you know anyone who wants to offload one.....

Marlin

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    At least the necks where it should be.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    Looks lovely Jonny (might have to shift my 60s Baja soon since the new arrival)