Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Your DOB guitar

What's Hot
robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3039
edited November 2014 in Guitar
I read an interesting comment in http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/24636/fs-original-1969-gibson-sg-2500 where McToot talks about buying a guitar dated to his birthday.

That got me thinking two things:

1. What would your ideal DOB guitar be? ie. a guitar manufactured on the day you were born (or at least in the same year)

2. If I were looking for such a thing, what sort of guitars are available from (some time in early) 1968 ?

R.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    edited November 2014
    I've posted this before:

http://www.es-335.net/335/66202.html

Gibson's numbering is such that I don't know how close to my actual date of birth it is - but it's definitely the right year.

1968 gives you plenty of options. 335s (and variants) from this period are decent value - as are SGs. Necks tend to be narrow (particularly at the nut) - so you need to try before you buy.

There are plenty of Fenders around from this period - though as its the 'Hendrix' period, Strats in particular are more expensive than they ought to be.

If you are prepared to look beyond these two brands, Rickenbacker, Gretsch and myriad American acoustics would also fit the bill.
  • Funnily enough, I've found that site too in the last 20 minutes. And I've always wanted a 335. So it might as well be a 1968! :)

R.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22739
    I has a 1964 SG Special for a while, but didn't really get on with it at all.  Ultimately I regretted buying it (but not as much as the stupidly low price I sold it for...)

If I were to buy another '64.... it's a shame Gibson weren't making Les Pauls for most of the Sixties.  So I guess it would have to be a Fender, at least it'd be pre-CBS.  And well out of my price range.

Les Pauls came back into production in '68, but later than your birthday I think.
  • Yes, I learned that too in the past half hour - that Les Pauls were re-introduced mid-to late '68 so I won't get a DOB Les Paul. Shame. But I think I'd prefer a 335 anyway.

R.
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    I'd love to get a DOB guitar...but 1981 was hardly a glorious year in guitar production!
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3876
    April 1970 here.
    It'd have to be a Tele for me, what it'd be like though is anyone's guess.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6898
    edited November 2014
    I think you would be very lucky to get a date of birth guitar. Year of birth is more realistic.

It's something I obsessed over for a while. Got my own YOB guitar then got one for my daughter.

For me I think I would have to concede that it was all about the thrill of the chase. Checking online and researching/reading etc but...

My YOB guitar is now for sale because I ended buying a guitar that doesn't fit. My mistake was buying a year and not the guitar. It is only three days off being a DOB though!

Also other priorities came along which made me decide there's no point having 4 figures tied up in a guitar that happened to be glued together the year I was born.

My ideal DOB if I went down that route again would have to be something that I already play. Therefore a Tele, SG or 335. Late seventies isn't really a great year though.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    I bought a 335 mostly due to the fact it was a '76, and I quite fancied having a guitar from my birth year.  Thankfully, I lucked out, and it turned out to be one of the few awesome guitars that escaped from Norlin.  Also the one guitar above all others that I regret selling - had a bit of a financial emergency, and the 335 covered it nicely.  Two days later, I came into a bit of unexpected money, so went straight back to the shop I sold it to to buy it back regardless of the cost, and some bugger had already bought it.  :((
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3616
    I don't think I'd ever get one as my DOB is the year the Les Paul came out.  :(
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6898
    Fuzzdog;429225" said:
    I bought a 335 mostly due to the fact it was a '76, and I quite fancied having a guitar from my birth year.  Thankfully, I lucked out, and it turned out to be one of the few awesome guitars that escaped from Norlin.  Also the one guitar above all others that I regret selling - had a bit of a financial emergency, and the 335 covered it nicely.  Two days later, I came into a bit of unexpected money, so went straight back to the shop I sold it to to buy it back regardless of the cost, and some bugger had already bought it.  :((
    That is so unlucky :(

If my YOB was a 335 I might feel different...

Previously known as stevebrum
  • I was born in 1990 so mine would be a top quality Japanese Ibanez superstrat.

:D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I was born August 1956 , so going to be difficult or seriously expensive. So my idea is a R6.
  • December 1982 for me - again, not a vintage year for guitars; maybe an old Ibanez or something...
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    I commissioned a Les Paul Junior replica from @JXG Guitars and had my new born son's Date Of Birth as the serial number, so, if he becomes seduced by Rock n' Roll and the 6 string temptress thus negating any ability to earn....at least he'll have one!
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • The website doesn't work for me. 

But I'd love to find a Gibson Les Paul Standard made on my birthday!! 

What are early 90s Standards or Classics like compared to recent days'? 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • 1984 for me. That means an early R7 or white Custom (maybe MIJ) will probably come my way eventually, but I'm not actively looking
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    December 1982 for me - again, not a vintage year for guitars; maybe an old Ibanez or something...

A great year for Japanese 'vintage' the first JV Strats & teles, and companies like Greco, Tokai and Burny producing what is considered to be their best work. Or if your guitar has to be made in the USA the dan Smith reissue strats from the early '80s are corkers
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    I have never considered getting a 1980 yob guitar, even tho it was a magical year for the world by me being born, im so fussy about guitars it would probably be sold within a month!
  • MattGMattG Frets: 170
    92 for me so probably a PRS :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    edited November 2014
    My YOB works out quite well for me, as it's '69 and I love big headstock Strats. Finally tracked one down last year at a price I could stomach, and it has really worked for me. I feel a real attachment to it that inspires me to play it more and play it better.

Well, until I browse the classifieds in here and start lusting after something else ... 8-|