Yamaha Acoustic Advice

What's Hot
andyozandyoz Frets: 718
edited November 2014 in Acoustics
I have a nice Yamaha LL500 but since starting to play electric guitars a year ago, the dreadnought shape is just too big (or maybe it's a Jumbo size). Anyway, I can barely get my arm over the thing and am completely lost in terms of picking hand position now.

I'm looking at a thinner body version or something around that quality level, with or without cutaway. I do like Yamaha but their range confuses me! Another brand is Taylor recommended by another forum member.

Budgets about £1000 second hand or a new guitar in offer. Electro acoustic considered as well.

Any advice appreciated as I miss playing the acoustic sometimes.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24791
    edited December 2014
    Taylor Grand Concert ('12' suffix) models are very comfortable for electric players. David Gilmour used a 712ce for the acoustic version of Shine On You Crazy Diamond on his 'In Concert' DVD.

They only make US GCs, so the entry point into the range is the 312ce (with Sapele back and sides) at £1300 +.

You may well get a used one for under £1000.

My favourite is the 512ce (cedar top with mahogany back and sides). It's very much a finger-style guitar - rather than a 'strummer' - but they are really well balanced, with the hallmark Taylor clarity underpinned by a lovely warmth.

They are a lot more expensive but if you get to play one, you may well decide it's worth saving up for one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited December 2014
    The shape/size of the Taylor looks really nice.

I need to research what all the model codes actually mean!

I assume that yamaha don't do a posh version of the APX line?

• GassageGassage Frets: 30814
    Google the APX1000 or 1200

The 1000, a great guit, was available for £600 recently. However, it is at its best amplified.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71864
    Larrivée.

You'll get one second hand for under a grand since they don't seem to hold their value well compared to some other brands. They do a variety of body styles including OM and parlour sizes, with or without cutaways and/or electrics, have that more modern bright/clear tone and the quality is above even Taylor and the better Yamahas in my opinion.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Totally agree with ICBM, Larrivees are a bargain second hand. I have owned both Taylor and Martin in the past and now have 3 Larrivees. Great build quality, very modern sound, not dis similar to Taylors on some ways, but more subtle tone. Even sold my Santa Cruz D to fund my last Larrivee, an SD50 12fret dreadnought. Should be able to get a series 3 or 5 for around a grand second hand, these are spruce/mahogany models, you need to go to a Series 9 to fet rosewood back and they might be outside your price range although there are a few 3 and 5 made with rosewood and they have an "R" after the number.
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited December 2014
    I am checking out the Larrivee's as I like gunning for the underdog.  Out of the models listed in this link, which should I be looking at as a slightly smaller version of my Yam LL500?  I can't find the equivalent dimesnions listed for the Yamaha:  http://www.larrivee.com/instruments/acoustics/compare.php
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1198
    I have an old dreadnought sized Yamaha (L-25A) but it is, as you say, big and it's pretty heavily built too.

I've had a few smaller bodied guitars as well, including a Brook Taw and Larrivee OM. I've settled on a Stanford OM (made in the Czech Republic by Furch).

I'm surprised that you are restricting yourself to so few makers as there are some great guitars out there. A friend has just bought a cracking new Eastman OM (adirondack top IIRC) for about £800.
    Keep an eye out for used bargains in anything Furch build, either in their own name or as Stonebridge or the higher-end Stanford models.

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Lowden LS 1 second hand.
  • andyoz said:
    I am checking out the Larrivee's as I like gunning for the underdog.  Out of the models listed in this link, which should I be looking at as a slightly smaller version of my Yam LL500?  I can't find the equivalent dimesnions listed for the Yamaha:  http://www.larrivee.com/instruments/acoustics/compare.php
    The LL500 looks lime its a jumbo; the C or L Larrivees will be closest to this. I have a C09 and its a bit of an all rounder but def performs better strummed than picked. If you are a fingerpicker and or, you use open tunings, then I would go for an OM. I have an OM9 and it is a very different beast to the C09; the OM9 really shines for finger picking and open tunings - Ive had it in DAAEAE, DADGAD, CGCGCD - and it handles all of these as well as EADGBE. The C09 does not lend itself to these tunings nearly as well