Using a reso as a normal guitar

bertiebertie Frets: 13567
anyone any experience of using "non piano grade strings"  so it can be tuned and played "normally"  ?

Just interested in gauges and general experience
just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
 just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72262
    edited September 2013
    Yes, I use my Ozark like that, with 12s on which it came with - I was going to change it to 11s but I haven't got round to it yet! I did set it up nicely for fingerstyle - nut and bridge slightly lower, neck straighter than I would normally for slide - but that's the only change I made and it wasn't much worse before really. (No worse than most normal acoustic set-ups.)

It works perfectly, and "makes friends" everywhere I take it. It doesn't sound as much like a biscuit tin with strings as you would think, especially from out front - I've heard other people playing it and it sounds better when they do. (Or it might be just them ;).)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom