Slash last night

What's Hot
thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
edited December 2014 in Live
Anybody see it? 
There were two acts beforehand - 2200 (pretty good) and California Breed.
California Breed were great live.. in fact I thought they stole the show. Never heard of them (or their members) before - guitarist looked the part, bassist had such a vocal range and looked cool (if an older gent) and the drummer was like the Incredible Hulk. Strange though, having just checked them out on youtube, they seem to be a better live band.

The main act was good though there wasn't a break mid-way so had to skip out to get a drink etc. Main gripe was that Slash's guitar wasn't loud enough and it was like that the last time I saw him with Velvet Revolver! Now I've been a Slash fan for years but I just didn't feel it like I was expecting. His playing is probably as good as it's ever been but I felt the note definition wasn't always there, instead fast shreddy lines were often doled out. The best bit was Todd Kearns singing "You're Crazy" - what a voice. 

I took my ACS Pro 17s and I'm VERY glad I did... no ringing now whatsoever and I could hear it clearly. I must be getting old but I was standing for 4 hours and really thinking I needed a seat. There were the beer cups being thrown (ugh) and I always seem to have complete (tall) pyschos stand right in front of me - one guy who stank (lol) and another who pushed two women near to the ground to get to a better position. 

Anyway, an ok night. I think I'll try and see more "newer" bands as maybe it was the surprise factor of the first two bands that made me think "wow, cool". 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• California Breed is Glenn Hughes on bass and vocals.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    edited December 2014

California Breed is Glenn Hughes on bass and vocals.
    And Jason Bonham on drums. There's some serious rock pedigree there!
  • Ahh, forgotten that.
    Glenn was in good voice when I saw him with his solo band about 3 years ago. He supports the right football team as well. :)
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • jesonejesone Frets: 60
    Jason's not playing this tour sadly. Saw them all in Birmingham on Monday & it was great. Glenn's voice grates on me after a while though and the Back to Birmingham jam did my head in.
    Slash, Myles & the Conspirators were fantastic & their drummer is a monster!!!
  • Jason's jacked in the California Breed thing.  Didn't like the album, personally preferred Black Country Communion but..Glenn Hughes has an almighty set of pipes on him. For a youngster it would be impressive, for a guy his age with so much drug abuse behind him...just WOW.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    edited December 2014
    I saw Slash last month in Basel, with different support acts though, gotta say Slash was way better than I expected, on really top form, although his solo to Rocket Queen was way too long and dull. He looked like he was having a lot of fun and seemed to really enjoy playing.

Overall I think that getting Myles and the boys as his backing band has been a master stroke, they really seem to have gelled together and do the old GnR songs justice, the new stuff is good enough and sits nicely. 

Maybe you just got a duff sound as for me it was nicely balanced.
  • Must have just been me. Next time I'm booking seated and a level up as I think the bass thumping up was mushing the lower register guitar work. California Breed were great live - atmospheric and the singer, just amazing.
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Jason's jacked in the California Breed thing.  Didn't like the album, personally preferred Black Country Communion but..Glenn Hughes has an almighty set of pipes on him. For a youngster it would be impressive, for a guy his age with so much drug abuse behind him...just WOW.

You've been Wis'd.

Slash does nowt for me tho. Never has. Love the 'proper' G'n'R stuff, but that's more about the collective band effort. Fell asleep during two VR gigs. I was pissed mind.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 230
    I was on level 2 and i thought the sound was very good. Wife is a huge fan and dragged me along. I thought the show was superb but thought the support bands were rubbish.
  • His solo to Rocket Queen was 15 mins long... too long even in my book lol
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited December 2014
    jesone;436022" said:
    Jason's not playing this tour sadly. Saw them all in Birmingham on Monday & it was great. Glenn's voice grates on me after a while though and the Back to Birmingham jam did my head in.Slash, Myles & the Conspirators were fantastic & their drummer is a monster!!!
    Was at the same show, and agree that slash and co were brilliant, really didn't expect it all to be so slick and full of energy. I'd have happily had more slash songs and less GnR though accept I'm in the minority there.

@thomasross20 that 15min solo in Rocket Queen was the break in the set :D I sneaked in a smoke, but wasn't getting a drink as was 2 rows from the stage.

California Breed were poor, and his high pitch screams actually hurt. The 2200 were a bit odd was like a dad had got his kids to be his band.

Nicest suprise of the night was Ace of spades with Todd on vocals.

• GassageGassage Frets: 30868
    Agree re slash last night....I needed one too- desperate- crossed me legs for hours but then found somewhere.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Just a heads up that the gig from Glasgow will be on MTV Jan 2nd
  • Wow!! The whole gig!?
    thomasross20;452433" said:
    Wow!! The whole gig!?
    MTV live (i think it's called) are usually pretty good at playing whole gigs to be honest, so it should be.
  • Nice! Unfortunately I've not got Sky/MTV :(
    I think, but could be wrong, that you can watch it on the MTV site once it's aired.
  • Jason's jacked in the California Breed thing.  Didn't like the album, personally preferred Black Country Communion but..Glenn Hughes has an almighty set of pipes on him. For a youngster it would be impressive, for a guy his age with so much drug abuse behind him...just WOW.

Glenn Hughes was the best vocalist Deep Purpule ever had.
    vasselmeyer;452659" said:
    RocknRollDave said:

Jason's jacked in the California Breed thing.  Didn't like the album, personally preferred Black Country Communion but..Glenn Hughes has an almighty set of pipes on him. For a youngster it would be impressive, for a guy his age with so much drug abuse behind him...just WOW.

Glenn Hughes was the best vocalist Deep Purpule ever had.
    have to be honest his high notes were painful and unwelcome at the Birmingham show.
  • I thought California breed were excellent on the whole