Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gibson neck breaks

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    In fairness a Martin acoustic would break in exactly the same way - back pitched headstocks are a very well established part of guitar design - it isn't a peculiarity of Gibson.
    Yes, but it takes much more force because Martins have a lower headstock angle and no truss rod cavity. You do see Martins with broken headstocks occasionally.

The difference is that you probably see more Gibsons with broken headstocks than *all other brands put together*. It's not about whether an angled headstock is a poor design or not, even in mahogany - it's that Gibson's take on it is about an order of magnitude worse than anyone else's - unnecessarily so.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ^ Your average high end acoustic probably get treated rather better than a lot of electrics do too....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    richardhomer said:

Your average high end acoustic probably get treated rather better than a lot of electrics do too....
    Not sure about that having seen the way folkies treat them!

There's also another problem with Les Pauls in particular - they're so heavy that the inertia of the whole guitar puts a lot more stress on the headstock if it hits anything. Acoustics are much lighter.

But still, when you see a cross-section of a Gibson neck showing how short the grain is across the angled part and how much of it is removed by the truss rod cavity, it's no mystery why they're so weak. It's really surprising that anyone would think it was an acceptably strong design.

On the other hand this is the same company that originally designed the double-cut LP Special with the pickup so close to the fingerboard that there's only about half an inch of endgrain wood holding the neck on. SGs aren't much better either!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I take better care of the Gibson's I've had than the Fenders, my Tele is on my rug now and my little boy is pissing about with it, whereas my Les Paul is in its case when I'm not using it. Same at gigs, I make sure the LP is safe, but the Strat or Tele can be lent against an amp or in a corner.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    A Tele can survive a hissy fit and being slung at a rehearsal room wall... My SG would not have survived.

And there is the deal - if you play an SG or a Double Cut LP Special, you look after them differently to a Fender. If not, they break. End of.

If you really feel strongly about this, why not write to Gibson showing them pics of the Feline upgrade. Even if you don't get anywhere this time, there is more potential for change and improvement than keep writing the same things in the same forum (look up Einstein's definition of insanity). Eventually, if enough people keep the pressure up things change - and if it means that much to you, then good luck to you.

The above isn't meant as a snipe - it's an observation about this and a few topics that come up time and again on here. Writing on here will change nothing - writing to the manufacturer, whilst not instantly successful, has more potential for change.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • there is no sense in contacting the manufacturers with suggestions or complaints. 

Its much better to post multiple threads on here berating the same things over and over again whilst passing off your opinion as fact. You get bonus points if you can throw in speculative figures about things you have read on other reliable forums like TGP. 

:-P
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Remember the Alex Lifeson sig 335 debacle? Gibson put a volute on them, but in the wrong place :) good old custom shop luthiery...
    Yup. Remarkable.
  • Tele is on my rug now and my little boy is pissing about with it,

Careful, water and electricity shouldn't be mixed ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11593
    tFB Trader
    We build with a 3 piece neck with the grain alligned in a quartersawn orientation (as much as possible) for both strength and sonic reasons.
    • The stiffness of a quartersawn construction gives a quicker response to quick tansient notes.
    • The 3 piece build style should interupt the "whiplash" of a blow to the guitar from tearing itself acoss the woods grainline, and I believe it is the whiplash effect rather than the initial strike that completes the damage. 
    • Gibson necks do break at the weakest point where the very short grain runs out onto the headstock.

As discussed the large recess for truss rod adjustment and lack of extra wood via a volute do make for the perfect conditions for a head break. 
    A scarf jointed neck will be much harder to break prvided the joint isn't right at the weak pint as the grain runs parallell to the headstock in that section.

One of the reasons that maple necks break less is that the grain in maple is made of much longer strands, and you get fewer junction points of grain strands in a localised area (which is why a maple break is characterised by longer more splintery fibres)

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    I appreciate opinions are divided on this but personally I could never see myself buying a Gibson which had a headstock repair, regardless of how well it had been done. Knocks and dints don't bother me, but for me a headstock break is just a bridge too far. I'd just feel I was playing with damaged goods, and resale would be badly affected.

Possibly if I saw a headstock repaired custom shop 59 les paul in honeyburst going ludicrously cheap, I might think about it.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Voxman;437837" said:
    I'd just feel I was playing with damaged goods, and resale would be badly affected.
    Precisely! As I posted earlier in the thread, a headstock repair enabled me to buy my genuine '64 335 - which was a dream guitar - for reissue money.

If I ever sold it, I'd probably make money on it.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    As long as the price reflected it and the repair was good, I'd have no issues with buying a headstock repaired guitar.
  • Voxman said:
    I appreciate opinions are divided on this but personally I could never see myself buying a Gibson which had a headstock repair, regardless of how well it had been done. Knocks and dints don't bother me, but for me a headstock break is just a bridge too far. I'd just feel I was playing with damaged goods, and resale would be badly affected.

Possibly if I saw a headstock repaired custom shop 59 les paul in honeyburst going ludicrously cheap, I might think about it.
    I used to feel that way until I took a punt an SG. It's one of the best guitars I've ever played and I won't ever sell it. Only 400 quids!!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Yes, re-resale value is affected, exactly because your potential buyer also doesn't want a guitar with a repaired break, and knows that *his* future buyer won't, etc - but only for that reason, basically "fear of fear itself".

A proper repair is stronger than the unbroken neck was - even when not done absolutely perfectly, check out that Feline thread again and you'll see that the final break before they rebuilt it did not go through the previous repair, the wood shattered elsewhere.

If more people understood that a proper repair actually improves the strength, and that the value can't then fall any further even if it somehow did get broken again because it's already 'taken the hit', what's not to like? You get a stronger guitar for less money. If you buy into it at the right price, you won't lose anything and you stand less chance of having to pay for a repair...

I've owned several Gibsons with repaired headstocks, and never sold one at a loss - and a couple at substantial profits. I'd happily buy one again.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    edited December 2014
    Pyroman said:

I'm guessing the reasoning behind Gibson sticking with the original problematic design, is that when they do attempt to fix it, the vintage purists scream bloody murder.

I own 2 Gibsons, and 2 Epiphones, all with Mahogany necks.  Love em, but esp in the case of my Firebird- I'm afraid to take it out of the house! 

I seem to recall reading that Gibson did indeed reduce the headstock/neck angle to 14 degrees some years ago and you're absolutely right; the purists screamed blue murder.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited December 2014
    I don't understand how Gibson have managed to change everything else over the years except the one biggest issue with pretty much all their designs. If I had my cynical hat on, I'd wonder if it was planned obsolescence because they know people will still come back...

This is me speaking as a Gibson owner who would have serious reservations about gigging his Flying V in case it got broken.

I don't smash my guitars about like Pete Townshend or whatever, but I think an electric guitar should be able to take a knock or several.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31577
    Bucket;439385" said:

This is me speaking as a Gibson owner who would have serious reservations about gigging his Flying V in case it got broken.
    Seriously?
    :/
    edited December 2014
    Seriously me too. I would have reservations about gigging with a valuable Gibson with a mahogany neck that hasn't been broken and repaired already. I've just seen so many that I know it's a significant risk.

I have gigged with Gibsons - my '57 LP Junior which had never been broken but clearly had an unusually strong neck because the top edge of the headstock looked like it had been used to demolish things, my '57 LP Special and '73 LP Deluxe both of which had previous repairs, and my Dove which has a maple neck. Possibly others, I can't remember. But it does make me think hard about them as a possible gigging guitar.

Partly it is because of the potential loss of value, but mostly it's because I try to avoid taking a spare guitar to a gig if at all possible - I take strings and tools, and I can repair most likely potential electrical or hardware issues, but a broken headstock is a show-stopper.

I try to choose all my gigging gear for reliability first and foremost, so a guitar which has an inherent weakness compared to others which do a similar job is not an ideal candidate.

• hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    I'd consider a broken-necked Gibson but the price would have be low and the repair perfect.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• I suppose if you own a guitar that you wouldn't use for fear of breaking it's no longer an instrument it's a conversation piece.