Where's the love for Warwick?

What's Hot
xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
Hello all, so I have been doing a bit of trading recently as a way to get what I need sound wise without spending any money!

I traded this brilliant German made, swamp ash Warwick Corvette.
And its so good it has now replaced my old faithful status.

Looking online, there is a lot of respect for the German Warwicks especially as most of the new models are now made in Korea. But the resale is really poor on them and would certainly stop me from buying a new one, does anyone know why?
They used top quality woods and hardware, have pro players play them, the corvettes are no longer made in Germany, are a dedicated brand unlike all the other guitar manufacturers, and last for ever, so what's the deal? :-)
http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag268/mrmatthewharper/Mobile Uploads/20141205_234531_RichtoneHDR_zpsewnprxeg.jpg
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17588
    tFB Trader
    Baffles me too. 

I have a German Streamer $$ and it cost bugger all SH. 
  • I knew someone in the late 80's who named his son "Warwick" after these Basses. I've noticed they are not as lauded these days, no idea why, they are beautiful Basses.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7753
    personally I've never liked them :)

they sound ok, but most I've experienced have very chunky necks, and I don't like the shape of them at all

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6123
    tFB Trader
    My favourite bass style, I thought they were the PRS of the bass world.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    @thorpy6 maybe that would explain the resale value :-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    edited December 2014
    Oh I don't know I reckon the wee guy is alright.

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i474/johnnyurq/Silly/warwick-davis-dw-1-460x258_zps1d217823.jpg

Only joking the Warwick basses are very lovely things to play.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • In 90's I've had terrible gas for W,and bought old Streamer,probably prototype,because there was no serial No,Spector headstock.Played nice,sounded very good.But,bridge was bad,while G string could not get far from the edge of fretboard,slipping G string annoyed me so much,I traded for Thumb 5 string BO.On Thumb neck badly warped,was heavy and really bad neck dive.Always had 78 Jazz with me,and realized stupid to have W while I prefer much more Jazz.
    @telestratjazz you had some bad luck there then, every one in have played has been a corker
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17588
    tFB Trader
    Paul_C;436765" said:
    personally I've never liked them :)

they sound ok, but most I've experienced have very chunky necks, and I don't like the shape of them at all
    You've probably played older ones then. Mine has a massive neck but my mates modern one is skinny like a jazz bass.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    I used to have a streamer. I'd always fancied one and loved the looks and sound but it wasn't an easy bass to play - huge neck and awkward playing position with the neck too far to the left so it was a stretch. My Geddy Lee Jazz is way more comfortable. I still fancy getting a thumb at some point tho :-)
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    John_P said:
    ... I still fancy getting a thumb at some point tho :-)
    Brave! The streamer is a much more ergonomic design than the thumb. I love my thumb, and got rid of the streamer I used to have, but I'll admit that the balance and playing position were much easier on the streamer.
    You've probably played older ones then. Mine has a massive neck but my mates modern one is skinny like a jazz bass. 
    The old ones were quite thin, and the bodies too back in the '80s. I think they went to thicker necks in the late '90s, but then went thin again about 2009/2010. The recent ones that I've tried also had a lovely rolled edge in the fingerboard.
  • I remember thinking one model had a horn that looked a bit like a sex toy.

Glad I could contribute. :)
    ThePrettyDamned;437465" said:
    I remember thinking one model had a horn that looked a bit like a sex toy.

@ThePrettyDamned The first thing I said to the missus when I took the Corvette out to show her was not fun you don't like the sound you can always sit on the upper horn... No lie
    edited December 2014
    mrchi said:
    ThePrettyDamned;437465" said:
    I remember thinking one model had a horn that looked a bit like a sex toy.

@ThePrettyDamned The first thing I said to the missus when I took the Corvette out to show her was not fun you don't like the sound you can always sit on the upper horn... No lie
    And if you thought the Corvette was phallic, you should have seen the Fortress:
    :)
    That's the bloody Germans for you!
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    I had a Warwick yeaaaaars ago.  Lovely neck, one of the few basses that really made me want to pick it up and play whenever I walked past the stand.
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • Warwick does seem to be an unusual case in that they were very popular and have now fallen away badly. There are plenty of great brands out there across guitar and bass that have appalling resale value - Godin, and Cort are two good examples, but they never had the popularity of Warwick in the first place. It is also not as though as in the case of Fender in the 70's they went off the boil so badly either. So yes, a real mystery.
  • mrn1989mrn1989 Frets: 240
    There is love here too, only had it 3 months and its fantastic...fkin heavy though

Fretboard Feedback https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58705/  ALSO Over 500+ 100% feedback eBay transactions 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom