Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Yamaha THR

What's Hot
I'm in the market for a home practice amp & have settled on SOMETHING from the Yamaha THR range... either 10, 10C or 5.
I tried em out today and they seem pretty perfect for what I want to do- quiet home practice/small jam sessions.

I gather the C is targeted at more classic rock/blues players and the 10 is an all rounder.
Is there much difference between the 5 & 10? My budget is in the ground between a new 5 and secondhand 10, I'm leaning towards the 10 as I DO dabble in bass playing and it has specific settings for this (the 5 doesn't).

Who has them? Do you recommend them? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I have the 10 and love it. Great to play at TV volumes when my kids are in bed. Also great to record with. Highly recommended.
  • I prefer the sound of the 5!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a 5 and will be selling if you're interested.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    I have a 10,  It's quite handy being able to store patches which iirc, the 5 can't do.   If you don't need to for that then the 5 is probably fine. 
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1590
    I have the 10. I'd say go for that. Got it second hand. I find storing the patches really handy, unless it will be linked permanently to a mac or PC. And having a control for your audio in, ipod, laptop whatever is handy. It's the best piece of kit I've ever owned as I actually play more now I have it. Sounds great at low volume and I prefer using it with headphones.
  • The 10 is great for all of the above and also works really well as an acoustic amp too. I've found it works best when you fine tune your sounds using the PC editing suite and store them as presets. They really are fantastic little practice amps.
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    Another vote for the 10.  I've got the 10C and love it.  As all others have said it's really versatyle, sounds brilliant even at low volumes, great as an acoustic amp.  Also good for recording either mic'd up or direct.
  • I have one and loved it and have eulogised about how good they are here in the past.

I recently tried to do the v2 firmware upgrade a power glitch (lights flickered) crashed the upgrade and the only way to get it back is to buy a new circuit board and get it fitted at their service centre, as it is out of warranty. Bit disappointed Yamaha UK reckon there is no way to take it out of upgrade mode, certainly not Apple level we are awesome support, had a perfectly good working THR till I bothered to do the upgrade.

I am  probably going to replace it with another but going to wait until after the NAAM show as I see they are dumping stock in the US lot of heavy discounts on THR. So maybe a new or revamped model in the works.

As much as I am pissed off I am going back for another round as I had a couple of years out the unit and I still reckon there is nothing much to touch it for the money in the home  practice recording market. I am staying away from Line 6 which I used to be a fan of but of late they seem to have lost their way.

• martmart Frets: 5205
    ... I am staying away from Line 6 which I used to be a fan of but of late they seem to have lost their way.
    Er, you do know that Line 6 are now part of Yamaha? :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    I have a 10 I'm not really using, if you're after a used one.
  • Yes new line6 were now yamaha and at the moment any positive effect of that takeover in my mind has not be revealed. Other than dumping old products for little money. Which as products were all pretty weak IMHO.

I have been a line6 fan over the years just felt they lost their way

I am hopeful we will see a new Yamaha based Variax at some point and some advances in Line6 modelling as what they have currently is pretty much the pod recycled and recycled.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    10C user here. One of the most useful bits of kit I've bought in years. I use it a lot more than my mesa and find it a lot easier to use than plug ins for recording.
    I usually spend ages setting up sounds with amplitube or waves gtr but can dial in great sounds very quickly with the thr.
    It's definitely worth getting the 10 for the bass settings if you record.
  • 10c here too. Highly recommend!
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 845
    edited December 2014
    I have a 5 and borrowed a 10c to see if I wanted to buy it, I thought the 5 sounded better so didn't bother. They also sound about 10 times better sat on the floor which is very annoying as they're designed to sit on your desk but they just sound too annoying up there.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4671
    I was toying with the idea of a 10C but my tutor reckons the 10 is the dogs bollocks.  Would buying a 10C limit me to strictly blues orientated sounds or is it more versatile than that?
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    It's more versatile than that though it wont do metal.  I'd say clean to heavy rock is the range rather than blues.
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1590
    I went into try 10c, I was going to flog my 10 and get it, I'd say whatever you can find cheapest go for. They are both good, the 10 might be a bit more of an all rounder. here's my late night practice set up. I live in a London flat and have a small baby. He likes it a bit loud :) ... but the neighbours, not so much.

• ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2014
    Had a 10C (which I sold here) and missed it so much I bought a 10 - really just because it's a little (just a little, mind) more versatile but both are great. 

I struggling to see how they sound better on the floor, as per the comment above, but everyone's different I suppose.

I reckon it's the best bit of home kit I've bought. But, and it's a big but, some others can't see what the fuss is about so, as always, best to try before you buy.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3853
    Another 10C owner here. And I love it. Perfect home amp.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    I had one and didn't find it anything special.... which maybe speaks volumes about my inability to get the best out of it.

I'm starting to wish I'd hung onto it longer.

:-S