Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Yamaha THR

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3875
    Philly_Q said:
    I had one and didn't find it anything special.... which maybe speaks volumes about my inability to get the best out of it.

I'm starting to wish I'd hung onto it longer.

:-S
    I went through that phase, managing to get it to sound gritty every time I used it. Almost sold it at that point.
    I played with the mids a lot and it solved my woes. Don't ask me why.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Not sure about the 10 but the 10c sounds really farty if you don't turn the bass down at volume. The speakers are too small to deal with it.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4692
    I chose a the little Blackstar ID Core 10 over both the 10C and the Blackstar HT1 after a morning in Andertons.  With the Dot the HT1 needed a lot of volume to come alive and generally sounded a bit muddy.  The Yamaha sounded nice but very polite and not quite loud enough..  The Core 10 sounded good at low volume and the crunch tones really worked with the Dot, so here we go.....
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • I think people sometimes miss the point of the THR and expect a bit too much from them. It is at the end of the day a desk top practice amp with a few extra bells and whistles and it excels at being just that. If you need more volume then you need a proper amp of some description, if you want to practice at home or on the go at quiet to moderate levels then the THR is your man. Just my opinion though!
    The Swamp City Shakers
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Another + for the THR, love mine, using it all the time. Highly recommended
  • bandmaster188;439033" said:
    I think people sometimes miss the point of the THR and expect a bit too much from them. It is at the end of the day a desk top practice amp with a few extra bells and whistles and it excels at being just that. If you need more volume then you need a proper amp of some description, if you want to practice at home or on the go at quiet to moderate levels then the THR is your man. Just my opinion though!
    I agree, I was initially disappointed with the gainy tones on one, but then I remembered how dinky and non room filling it is. A bigger amp could put out less volume but still fill a room and the bass would carry. The thr, and (my preferred choice) Id core range are just great practice amps for when you don't want to annoy anyone else outside the room you're in.
  • Thanks folks. 

I've just bought a THR10 through my local FB guitar page, £150 perfect condition (including the original box). I collect it on wednesday & I'll let you know how I get on.
    From what you've said, it sounds like I've made the right choice- I'll mainly use it for low volume (and frequently headphoned) practice while the kids are in bed. I've liked the tones I got when messing with it in the shop, and am excited to see what I can achieve when given time to REALLY get into it.
    The fact that it looks nice and can double as an MP3 speaker merely sweetens the deal.
  • My letting you know my thoughts may have to wait... The wife has declared it to be a Christmas present (she's chipped in some of the budget) and as such has confiscated it until the 25th! I checked it worked, then it was gone!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    /\... I wish I had a wife....
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Be careful what you wish for mate.

• I've had the amp almost a month now… And absolutely LOVE it! 
    The difference having the amp out and available at all times makes to the amount I practice is incredible! 

It sits next to my computer acting as speakers for that- the wife likes the way it looks and even appreciates the improvement in sound quality!
    The range of tones available is nice and broad- Jangly cleans from my 12string electro acoustic right through screaming metal from my LP are all a dial twist away. Modifying the sound is easy thanks to the intuitive controls. It's perfectly possible to get a heavy rock tone at a volume tolerable in a small flat.
    I've not dabbled in the editing software yet, but can see how that could potentially open up a further range of useable tones.

Sound through headphones is excellent, and the aux in is a godsend for anyone trying to learn a cover song. 
    Compared to my previous practice tool- a line6 pocket pod, the sound quality is vastly superior. I always liked the Pod, but it could sound a bit processed. Particularly at high gain. The THR sounds more natural.

I can see that it wouldn't necessarily be loud enough for some people, but for my home use purposes (and for smaller jam sessions) it's perfect.
    I highly recommend it to anyone looking for an aesthetically pleasing home practice amp.