Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Cringeworthy Lyrics.

What's Hot

Don't know if we've done this yet?

There must be loads of lyrical pearlers out there. Which songs do you know that contain the most Cringeworthy lyrics?

I'll give you these 2 beauties to start.

1. ABC -  That Was Then But This Is Now.

Lyrics contain:

Can't complain, musn't grumble. Help yourself to another piece of Apple Crumble.

2. Shakira - Whenever, Wherever

Lyrics contain:

Lucky that my breasts are small and humble, so you don't confuse them with mountains.

Were they pissed?

PS: This is just a bit of fun, in case the more artistically sensitive among you disapprove

Only a Fool Would Say That.
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Razorlight - shite in every way possible.

"Somewhere Else" contains this: "And I met a girl / she asked me my name / I told her what it was".

Jesus wept.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72300
    I'm a big fan of Shakira, she's quite brilliant :). I'm not offended by you thinking she was pissed though!

I actually think that song is very clever as well as funny - as is a lot of her material - but her songwriting looks even more impressive when you realise English isn't her first language and that she often writes versions of the same song in more than one language. She does admit to keeping a thesaurus to hand, but there's a lot of very unusual wordplay in her songs that frankly is far more literate than most songwriters whose first language is English... ;)

Laundry Service is one of my favourite albums ever, and a couple of the others aren't far behind.

And I really liked ABC back in the day too... Lexicon Of Love is one of the definitive albums of the 80s.

I'm totally with Lixarto on Razorlight though!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 681
    The two that spring to mind as always making me shake my head in disbelief are, 'the world is just a great big onion' and I forget the other one. I'll get back to you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @ICBM

Quite right, praise where it's due for someone writing in a foreign tongue.

I should have actually added that I too like both artists.

One thing I wasn't sure of was who actually wrote the songs in question. A lot of "Pop" artists(for want of a better word) have a lot of songs written for them. 

There's probably loads of howlers by other bands I consider my favourites too.

B-)
  • The whole of SYMM by the Manics. The subject matter* deserved far, far better.

*Hillsborough, more specifically South Yorksire Police's response to it.

• The whole of SYMM by the Manics. The subject matter* deserved far, far better.

*Hillsborough, more specifically South Yorksire Police's response to it.

Yeah, not groundbreaking lyricwise, but credit to them for saying something at least.

I'm only 2 miles from Hillsborough as well. I've heard a lot of things said about that day. I don't have anything good to say about how it was handled by S.Y.P.

I'll just leave it there.

:)
    edited September 2013
    One thing I wasn't sure of was who actually wrote the songs in question.
    I'm sure it's Shakira. She claims to, and from the way they're written and the type of lyrical content I don't doubt it. I do agree some of them come across a little 'mangled' by the language barrier though :).

My favourite on Laundry Service is actually Poem To A Horse... which has some bits which also sound like they might be cringeworthy until you hear where it goes and how she delivers it. And do you know another song which contains the word 'hydroponic'? :)

The ABC one is definitely by Martin Fry too.

There's probably loads of howlers by other bands I consider my favourites too.

For sure. Quite a lot by some of mine too... one of the worst is Heather Nova's 'Paint The World', and she's one of my favourite ever artists.

"This is so stupid
    This is so lame
    This is so stupid
    Playing these games
    Everything is out of focus
    Everything's in pain
    This is so stupid"

Er... yes.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• @ICBM

Yes, I could safely say I have never heard the use of "Hydroponic" as a lyric. But I dare say she most likely made it work ;-) 

Damn, there is another Unique Lyric on the tip of my tongue that is in a popular song, it's not coming to me ~X(.

It's probably in a Beatles song.

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1302
    After trying again today to like Random Access Memories, lyrics that I cringe at are:
    1. If you do it riiiight
    Let it go all niggght
    Shadows on you brreaak
    Out in to the liiiight.

Right, night, light. Creative. I think I just hate that track though, although it promises much more with the robot backing voice intro.

2. I just keep playing back,
    These fragments of time,
    Everywhere I go,
    These moments will shine.

"These moments will shine"? Seriously?
    And that one ends with what feels almost like the TV Burp end of show song thing too, which makes it infinitely worse.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Culture Club with 'War Song':

'War. War is stupid,
    And people are stupid
    And I heard them banging 
    On hearts and fingers'

So there.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    surely these are just "silly" lyrics, not cringeworthy ?

cringeworthy is Toto's attempt at trying to get "Serengeti"  to fit the melody
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • Good thing there doesn't seem to be many country fans here, lots of material there.  Like George Strait, "The Fireman"  -  

They call me the fireman 
    That's my name 
    Makin' my rounds all over town 
    Puttin' out old flames  

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RichRich Frets: 18
    Agreed on the country thing, but that's part of the charm! Was just listening to Teenage Queen by Lonnie Baron this morning. Great song, but the first two lines are:

Teenage Queen, now eighteen
    A year ago was seventeen.

OK.

If you listen to those old country and rockabilly compilations, lots of the lyrics there are absolutely terrible. And yet great, in another way...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Tumbling Down by Cockney Rebel:

Hail! to the monkey; we're having a funky reunion
    Wasted and sunk, he can only have Sunday communion
    He's got nicotine stains in his eyes
    He's got nothing to protect but his pride
    Oh! smother the kiss or be drownded in blissful confusion
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17599
    tFB Trader
    Life by Des'ree

End of thread. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • snakemanStoosnakemanStoo Frets: 1708
    edited September 2013
    Thanks to Bill Bryson I heard the wonderful 'Dropkick me Jesus'

Dropkick me, Jesus, through the goal posts of life
    End over end, neither left nor to right
    Straight through the heart of them, righteous up rights
    Dropkick me, Jesus, through the goal posts of life
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
    Katy Perry

"Do you ever feel like a plastic bag"
    Life by Des'ree

End of thread. 
    Not quite... she has a lot more songs that that.

:)

• bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    Life by Des'ree

End of thread. 
    That was the one I first thought of. The 'toast' line especially
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    ZZ Top, 'Sheik' - never let geography get in the way of an obvious rhyme:-

I met a sheik
    in Mozambique