That ol' acoustic pick up question

I've decided to stick with my Epiphone Texan for the time being for the acoustic work I have lined up. Main reason is budget but the other reason is that I have yet to find another acoustic that plays as easily as this one.

I need a pick up for it but don't have uber bucks to blow on the likes of LR Baggs, fishman et al. Is there a decent budget pup that I can whack in there to get me through the first few gigs ?

I was looking at the seymour Duncan woody?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
    First thing you need to figure out is what kind of thing you're after. Soundhole? Undersaddle? Other? If you don't want to spend a lot, then soundhole is probably a better bet, and the SD is a good shout, as is the Shadow equivalent.

Secondly, you'll want to factor in some kind of preamp. I've got two Zoom 504 II's which can be had for pennies and sound very good.
  • It'll be sound hole Any thoughts on the fish an neobuster
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72313
    The Duncan Woody isn't bad, but it's quite low output and a bit noisy (the humbucking one obviously less so, but more expensive), and will probably need a preamp, so doesn't work out that cheap - although Bidley's Zoom suggestion is a good one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• If you decide you want a Duncan Woody I have a Woody XL SA-3XL I'd sell, I've used it about 3 times.  I ended up getting an electro acoustic but before I did what I did was run the woody in to my iPad via a Sonic Port and use the acoustic amp models in Jam UP.  Worked fine for the acoustic gigs I did but I found it more practical to just have an electro acoustic for open mic type stuff as you don't get very long to set up.
  • yeah - how much bud?
  • Have PM'd you :)