Announcing three new pedals from Fredric Effects

What's Hot
timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
I guess this is the place for this sort of thing. Apologies if the following reads a bit press-releasey... that's because it's a press release I sent to a few guitar mags and blogs earlier this week.

Fredric Effects are proud to announce three new pedals. The 'West Germany Vintage Tremolo' is one of the best sounding classic tremolo effects, with a warmth and musicality lacking in many modern trems. The 'Foxrite' is a new version of the late 60s abrasive fuzz. Lastly, the Mutant Fuzz is an updating of the fabled Os Mutantes Regulus VIII fuzz pedal.

All three are available now. West Germany Vintage Tremolo and Foxrite are £90. The Mutant Fuzz is £80. They are available direct from the builder and selected shops and online retailers.

About Fredric Effects

Fredric Effects have grown in the last five years to become one of the best regarded UK effects manufacturers. Offering high quality boutique pedals at realistic prices working musicians can afford. Fredric Effects pedals have found their way onto the pedal boards of many well-known and ground-breaking guitarists and bassists around the world. 

----------------------

Foxrite
The Fredric Effects Foxrite is a clone of the late 60s Silicon Fuzzrite. It is a reconstruction of the original circuit, improved with the addition of a boost stage to bring the volume up to modern expectations. The Foxrite is a uniquely abrasive effect - offering sounds from garagey distortion to full-on octavey, velcro-ripping fuzz.

http://www.fredric.co.uk/foxrite-improved-fuzz-rite-fuzzrite-clone

-----------------------

West Germany Vintage Tremolo
A new version of one of the best sounding classic tremolo circuits.

The Fredric Effects West Germany Vintage Tremolo reworks the classic West German pedal, with a neat MXR-sized enclosure, a flashing LED rate indicator when the effect is engaged, and a more useful depth control. This circuit is famed for it's warmth, with a smooth waveform (not choppy or stuttery like some trems) akin to that found on vintage Fender amps.

http://www.fredric.co.uk/west-germany-vintage-tremolo

---------------------------

Mutant Fuzz

The Mutant Fuzz is Fredric Effects' version of the Os Mutantes (Regulus VIII) fuzz.

The Regulus VIII is similar in topology to a silicon Fuzz Face, but with a more gritty and trebley character. The Mutant Fuzz is pretty much a straight clone with some added power and RF interference filtering - so it won't pick-up the radio like the originals sometimes do! The level of gain is fixed at 'just right', although you can roll back your guitar volume pot to clean up a bit. The tone control is a switch for hi/low. The hi setting sounds very 60s, whereas the low is positively doomy.

http://www.fredric.co.uk/mutant-fuzz-os-mutantes-regulus-viii-8-clone

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• So I presume you are paying for this advert then?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    No, this area of the forum is for UK businesses to write about their shit, but thanks for the constructive comment.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27969
    This area of the site is for UK builders to share knowledge, not for press releases.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    edited September 2013 tFB Trader
    Ah fair enough. I saw the 'Made in the UK' category and people selling stuff and must have leapt to conclusions. It's a good job you guys are here to set me straight.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    A build thread for a pedal would be a great contribution.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • A build thread would be cool but I can't see what's wrong with what's been posted so far?
    There are other threads in this section showcasing member's products with prices and pictures etc. How is this any different? 
    Are we not trying to encourage UK builders etc so that they may contribute to other parts of the forum? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    We'd like to avoid being a place for copy & pasted press releases or we'll be flooded by people using the site for free advertising.

Content that's actually tailored to the site is much better. :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • So if he hadn't mentioned it was from a pre release it would have been fine?
    Just as an example, Feline's 20th anniversary post contains parts that have been copied and pasted from his website. Didn't see anyone complaining about that. 
    I'm sorry but it just comes across as a little inconsistent imo and could be regarded as being a bit cliquey.
    This place has so far shown to be very welcoming and I hope that continues. The more builders, modders,guitar jookifiers and sporkists we have contributing to the collective knowledge base the better. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I quite like the Basschat idea - if small volume builders want free advertising they ask to join the affiliates and they get a separate section of the forum. It also means they offer a discount to forum members on their products in return.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10227
    tFB Trader
    Personally I think the reaction to the original post was a bit harsh. We are meant to be welcoming new contributors and gently setting them straight if that's needed.
    Personally I was never particularly in favor of a trade 'ghetto' on the forum, as that really does encourage posting pure adverts. I have contributed less to other areas of the forum since the UK makers area was introduced as I almost feel as if I'm trespassing in areas where it is supposed to be 'amateurs only'.
    Forum members already get a lot of value added from my own products .. as they have pretty much seven day a week access to me via PM and there are many members who have had cheaper jobs ... one off designs ... or free potting that would have cost them an arm and a leg elsewhere. Were a system of fixed discount in return for 'advertising' introduced I would leave the forum immediately. My margins are too small to consider making a fixed commitment like that and I think a 'special trade section' cuts us off from everyone to the detriment of the whole forum.

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • So - what you are saying is that the Basschat affiliates profit levels are too high....

You might have a point there!! :D

tFB Trader
    Never been on Basschat, and not a clue who their affiliates are. My pricing policies are known to most of the old guard of MR people. I always try and keep my prices to the minimum to try and keep British buyers buying British goods. This is very much part of my own personal philosophy ... shop local and you help to keep the economy moving.
    I have absolutely no faith in 'paid for' advertising at all. Reputation in the music business comes from engaging your customers directly, producing goods that cause a buzz and get people talking, and above all walking the walk ... giving vale and service. The days when glossy adverts in magazines ... or even hard copy reviews 'shifted units' are past. People want direct access to information, and word of mouth is top dog once again as a selling tool.
    I could put up my prices to cover a larger than zero advertising budget :) but I prefer to have customers as friends rather than cash cows.

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537

I agree that it was a bit harsh, you can tell that Fredric Effects isn't a huge conglomerate, but a small enthusiast based (hobby?) busniess and I think we should be welcoming to such.

I would add though that where I think the likes Guitar Weasel, Feline, Bulldog, Jaden Rose etc have it right is that they still show personality in their posts, with some strong opinions here are there which makes it feel a lot less commercial minded than how timhulio probably came across.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17557
    tFB Trader
    To be clear we don't currently have paid advertising on this site and this section is for the promotion of UK builders.

I don't have any problem with people putting details of products on the site that exist in other places provided that the contribution is something more than just a verbatim copy paste of a press release. To be fair to @timhulio we haven't really been explicit about this in the rules and he has posted some interesting stuff elsewhere. 

I should also add that if you think someone is breaking the rules the appropriate thing to do is hit the flag button to alert the mods. 
    tFB Trader
    For a start I think that if a spam moderation contribution is thought to be required, it could be done via a PM to the contributor without a public slapped wrist being given. I believe strongly If you want to attract professionals to make contributions (and I do make my full living from pickups) then you have to behave professionally towards them.

• ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2025
    Definitely with Weasel on this one.

So, let's all start over. Friends?
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited September 2013
    TheGuitarWeasel said:   "Personally I think the reaction to the original post was a bit harsh. We are meant to be welcoming new contributors and gently setting them straight if that's needed."
    Agreed.
    But there is a point in differentiating between PR and overt advertising and the more 'informational' and inclusive approach encouraged here.  I think this whole area is a bit of a mine field, and there is no one 'right' answer.To his absolute credit timhulio (Fredric Effects) responded almost immediately with a build thread discussion >here< on the Grumbly Wolf pedal.  Generous with information, and interesting to follow, thanks.

Sorry to hold this conversation in your personal space here timhulio, but at least it's generating forum views I guess :)

TheGuitarWeasel said:   Personally I was never particularly in favor of a trade 'ghetto' on the forum, as that really does encourage posting pure adverts. I have contributed less to other areas of the forum since the UK makers area was introduced as I almost feel as if I'm trespassing in areas where it is supposed to be 'amateurs only'. 
    Speaking personally I too was concerned that this would be an inevitable outcome of adding in UK Makers.  The change in behaviour of several contributors changed immediately, and all those guys have something very positive to offer the whole community here.
    We are all the poorer if they are unsure what to share, or how to share their experiences, and they are arguably amongst the most valuable contributions here.

I think Ash has expressed those concerns extremely eloquently.  Personally, I am grateful that he has continued to contribute to discussions widely in other areas, it is a great shame that he, or anyone else on here should "almost feel as if I'm trespassing".
    A valid point to address I believe.
    I would also like to add my appreciation of his point about keeping margins and costs low in this difficult economic environment.

The FretBoard team have done an excellent job with our new home, and I can see there are many areas in developing how this place runs where there is no easy answer, and while an exciting journey, I guess it is a learning curve for all.
    I would like to think that maybe some clearer guidelines emerge as policies develop, and keeping that open and inclusive feeling, so that everyone is welcome and feels at home here, may be part of the way forward.

• @timhulio - Great informative post, thank you for putting it up. Have a Wow!

I like to hear about new interesting guitar related stuff, especially direct from the manufacturer. Would be nice if a few more manufactures posted stuff and this was encouraged rather than shot down in flames.
    >:)
    tFB Trader
    Anything that does not involve public rebukes for people who make their living from a 'public face' would be welcome. Personally I'm in favour of a 'Trade moderator' specifically for the makers section if we are keeping that on ... somebody who can act behind the scenes with a personal message rather than be confrontational. A message of welcome for new trade contributors with a set of basic guidelines would be good. Nobody likes rules ... especially all the maverick spirits we have gathered here ... but we do need clear guidance with a calm hand.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17557
    tFB Trader
    That's all very well, but @fretmeister isn't a mod. 

The rules are very clear that if you think a post contravenes the rules you flag it rather than wading in.