Sight reading

What's Hot
Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4631
edited December 2014 in Theory
I've put it off for 25 years, a string I need to add to my bow to help me improve.
Any body know of any good resources, books, web sites, etc.

Most sites just take you through the basics and stop there rather than progressing to
things more interesting.

I understand the treble clef, and what the rhythm mean, basically I need a resource to start of simple 
and then take me through intermediate to advanced reading, ideally not classical, but maybe jazz orientated.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• koss59koss59 Frets: 847
    If you want it to be Jazz then buy a real book and read the heads. If you put that together with something like Ireal pro apps backing tracks so you read in real time then you'll get good quick.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I suggest getting a chord book, or PVG book, of a band you like and trying to work out simple chord melody versions of the songs. That way you're learning to play songs you like and improving your sight reading.  You can also see where the notes of the chords lie in the clef and the names of the chords above them so your brain will make the connection between the two easier.  
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    The Berklee College of Music has several books they publish which are aimed at developing reading skills - it's solid stuff, maybe not the most fun you can have playing guitar, but as long as you have the determination to work at it:

I've also had "Develping Modern Sight Reading Technique" by Tom Bruner (an American studio guitarist) for ages, which uses deliberately unpredictable and atonal music to read, so that you really have to learn where the notes are, and play what you see, rather than predicting what is next. It's a bloody good, and quite tough, book - I think sadly out of print. But there seems to be this one available now, which is maybe an improved version:

I'm not the world's best sight reader, but I do know that it's one of those things where you have to put in the hours of practice to get results. There must be other good books out there also, and I agree with the other suggestions on this thread also. :)

• koss59 said:
    If you want it to be Jazz then buy a real book and read the heads. If you put that together with something like Ireal pro apps backing tracks so you read in real time then you'll get good quick.
    This...especially the reading in real time thing.