Mesa Mark V Owners/Previous Owners

Si_Si_ Frets: 384
Just after some real world feedback on the Mark V. Watched a load of Youtube videos and reviews but would like to hear from actual owners, past or present.

How does it compare against the mark IV? and other Boogies?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Hi, I had one for a while but got rid of it due to crap build quality.

Constant issues with hiss, buzz and hum, frying bacon noises in the background, etc.

Even after several trips to a decent tech it would be ok for a while and then return to it's frying pan ways.

I was especially upset as I'd sold a nice Mark IV with the EV speaker to get the Mark V, one of the biggest mistakes I've every made with amps.

The tech I use has seen a lot of boogies over the years and reckons the new ones are not put together anywhere near as well as they used to be...

So from my experience I'd go looking for one of their earlier models.

Apologies if you know already, but the Mark series amps are very different to the Rectifier range in terms of sound - I liked my Mark IV  combo but it wasn't so great at the scooped modern metal sounds you get out of the rectifiers.

If you get half a chance it's definitely worth demoing them before buying...
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    Looking to demo the one I'm looking at on Sunday.. I'm not too interested in the scooped metal tones, more of a standard rock tone. Just wanted something to complement my Marshall so wanted something American sounding. 

Dissapointed to hear about the build issues, Boogies have a reputation of being built like a tank..
  • Unless quality has dropped off massively since I bought my Lonestar Special, I'd be surprised if a MkV was wanting in the build-stakes department.

I owned a Mk111 that was tank-like. I loved the mid-heavy drive sounds from that and it's cleans (it had an EV12M) were stunning. It was, however, heavier than the moon....

Valves in modern Boogies have been a challenge. They don't seem to last long and are of variable quality.... I suspect that applies to most makes.
  • Perhaps mine was a Friday afternoon job, but it was definitely not a tube issue with mine.

Several components failed and it spent almost as much time in the repair shop as in my studio.

My Mark IV with the EV speaker was also heavier than the moon lol

I'm not anti-Mesa by the way despite having a really shitty experience with the Mark V - I'd definitely go back to one of the earlier Mark series amps. Lovely mids, fluid drive, gorgeous clean channels.

If you're looking for the American thing to complement a Marshall then a Boogie Mark-something is a good choice...I just feel really burned about the modern ones...
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2123
    They're awesome amps.
    Certainly no issues with the build, fit or finish, and definitely no hiss or hum to speak of. That said, mine is about 3-4 weeks old!
    I think it's an incredible amp really. All of it is very usable and intuitive if you read the manual and understand it.

But alas, I'm selling mine. It's in the classifieds here.

I'm selling because it's too much amp for me. I have a 1987 and a JCM 800 that just have like, 6 knobs and they never fail to deliver. They're both cheap and both do what I want amp to do. Deliver exceptional tones at blistering volumes!! Haha!!

The Boogie is no exception, it certainly delivers, I'm just scared to move the knobs!! Haha! Fantastic amp. When dialled in, the Mark V is an absolute monster.
  • I think you'll get a better response on American forums as Mark V's are still pretty rare in the UK.  Places like thegearpage.net have had quite a decent amount of discussions about them. I've not managed to try one myself as nobody stocks the Mark heads locally anymore, and I have zero interest in the combo.  I do think Rectifiers get a bum rep though, they're a lot more versatile than you'd expect (especially from youtube), but they won't sound like a Mark if that is what you want.  

Another avenue worth a look is the EVH 5150 iii 100 watter, which gets great straight up 'US' rock tones with very little faffing with the tonestack.  I was really impressed with the one I tried and very nearly bought it.  If you like Marshalls and want something to compliment it with a US flavour that isn't scoopy you might get on with the EVH more so than a Rectifier.
    edited September 2013
    Gotta say, the Mark V can sound great.. Super tempted to trade my AxeFX for one..

• The general forum chatter from various places is that you want the head because the combo is a bit boxy sounding.
  • I have a Mk V combo and it sounds fabulous. No issues with build quality whatsoever. It's just so flexible and can reproduce a huge array of tones. I also have an Axe FX 2 and have just switched to using that live for the extra functionality, but the Boogie is still a joy to play. 
    It's defo the head I've got the offer with..
    edited September 2013
    AlexToft said:
    I have a Mk V combo and it sounds fabulous. No issues with build quality whatsoever. It's just so flexible and can reproduce a huge array of tones. I also have an Axe FX 2 and have just switched to using that live for the extra functionality, but the Boogie is still a joy to play. 
    How do you find the AxeFX 2 compared to it? I'm looking at going the other way, currently using an AxeFX II live but looking to switch to a Mark V instead.
  • I find the tone of both to be excellent, in fact I did a tone match from the Mk V into the Axe to use for my dirt. With a Mini Amp Gizmo I could flip the amp channel, boost, verb, loop and everything via MIDI from my pedalboard so they're about as flexible as you'll ever get from a valve amp in my opinion. The only reason I chose the Axe was that I play in a 4 piece covers band and wanted a pretty broad selection of sounds, more than even the Mk V can produce.

I went for the combo as it can do everything the head can do, but the head can't do everything the combo can do. Jack it into a dual rec 4x12 and it's every bit a metal machine, but take it to rehearsal as a 1x12 combo and it's just so much more convenient, for me at least. I find the open back quite useful for pub gigs as it spreads the sound more instead of being so directional and brutal you get from a closed back cab.
    edited September 2013
    That's my only concern, the return to tap dancing instead of nice presets and scenes. I don't use a lot of effects but it's always handy to have a single button to kick in solo boost+delay or something like that.. I'll need to give that some thought. 
  • One Control OC10 dealt with the dancing for me. It was 1 touch for everything including amp switching when I played the Mk V live with a pedal board. Very cool piece of gear.
    Looks good, but not cheap!!. Starting to think I might stick with the AxeFX and just setup and nice Boogie style patch
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    edited September 2013
    Si_ said:
    Looks good, but not cheap!!. Starting to think I might stick with the AxeFX and just setup and nice Boogie style patch
    This way madness lies. ;)

What about a Bogner or Custom Audio head?
    Boogie style tone but better build quality.

2 years in I'm still extremely happy with the CAA PT50.
    I'd like a CAE head, but not many around. And I've got a good offer on the table for the Mark V Head + a Load of pedals, + Cash. Just need to think through the switching issue :)
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    edited September 2013
    There is a PT100 on this very forum.

I have the 50 watter and it is the best amp I've ever owned- I have absolutely zero desire to replace it.
    It's in London with no postage.. and I'm in Newcsatle.. Plus I've no cash :(
  • I have a Mk V head and can honestly say that build quality is awesome - the problem some people get with noise is due to using dodgy cables or noise from other parts of the signal chain.

I use the 3 channels as follows:

Ch 1:  Tweed - awesome SRV type tone with my Roadworn Strat and cleans up nicely with vol control

Ch 2:  Mark 1 - Great rock tone with the bass rolled right down and treble boosted with or without the EQ.

Ch 3:  Mark 4 - Great modern rock/ metal sound.  Also I use it with the gain right down for an alternative clean sound.

I have to add that I am using a matched EL34L set and the amp sounds better in my opinion than the 6L6s - earlier breakup and better crunch.

I have to get a Mini Amp Gizmo next to control everything from my midi pedal.

Hope this helps,

Jim