Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

When will I be happy and say "no more"?

What's Hot

Comments

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    jd0272 said:
    Deijavoo said:
    It's the slime Washburn you disagree with isn't it?

I whole heartedly protest at the notion that GAS is ever satisfied. WTF would 'we' do if it was? Spend more time with the kids and Mrs? Pffffff.   ;)

Anyhoo, luthier made S-Type, and a Potvin Explorer Thingy, and that'll be me done (for a bit.......).
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22739
    edited December 2014
    Dave_Mc said:
    I think I can see an end in sight. Famous last words.

>:D<

The only things I'd say are that over time I've progressed to buying more expensive guitars.... I don't think I'll go back to cheap stuff (maybe with a few exceptions) so I'm a bit more careful about what I buy. 

And after a great deal of buying and selling over 35 years I have some pretty good stuff which I don't plan to sell, so there are some things I have "covered" and don't feel the need to buy again. 

So overall, the GAS hasn't gone but it is slowing down a bit.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    never be happy... will always be another beauty in another colour or a vintage or a sound I just have to have...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Does anyone else ha've a tendency to sell kit on after using it infront of an audience?
    I'll say I want some bit of functionality - but I rarely use the new functionality.
    I think Gear Acquisition gets in the way of Song Acquisition and Technique Acquisition...
    it's an addiction much like gambling - a way of passing time, certainly hasn't improved my playing.

I'd like to sell a lot of my stuff, but at present I'm stuck believing that I need to buy a more versatile guitar in order to do that. :D
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 557

I'm fairly lucky in that my "rig" is still in its infancy, it really only has one way to go and that is to grow, so for the moment GAS is my friend.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22739
    frankus said:
    Generally the amount of kit I've got is inversely proportional to the amount I'm playing.
    Does anyone else ha've a tendency to sell kit on after using it infront of an audience?

I've always thought that in the unlikely event I ever became a gigging musician, I'd have to reappraise my gear and probably change it completely.

I buy stuff because I like it, it doesn't really have to achieve a particular sound or purpose.  If I was actually using it to play proper music for other people to listen to, there'd suddenly be a whole different set of requirements.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited December 2014
    I'm learning new things about my guitars all the time. One of them, which I've had for years, I gave a wee fine adjustment to the pole pieces on the humbucking pick ups earlier today and it totally brought it to life again. Also the lacquer on the back of the neck is wearing down nicely and it's just getting comfier and comfier every time I play it. Really it sounds better every time I play it because I'm learning how to make it sound better.

I agree with Frank that new gear doesn't make you a better player. In fact it could have the opposite effect. Some people say that different guitars make them play differently. Try picking up the guitar you have and playing differently...imagine it's a different guitar, it's all in your mind anyway.

I get a kind of guilty feeling when I think I've got too much "stuff". While it's not a pleasant feeling I'm glad it's there. I just need to think about all the people in this world that have nothing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I think we all know the answer to the thread title.

http://media.gizmodo.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/man-woman-man.jpg

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1769

The day after your funeral.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    BigMonka said:

The day after your funeral.

There's a thought to cure the old Seasonal Affective Disorder.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    is that a necrophilia gag? - just kidding.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    BigMonka said:

The day after hell freezes over..............

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

there's something somewhat disturbing about that
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited December 2014
    For most people, GAS is pretty much what Bono said.
    And your best bet would be:  Look a bit harder.

(If you are the UK's most versatile and prolific Session Musician - I am willing to reconsider)

there's something somewhat arousing about that
    Good for you, Phil.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

It was only on the 3rd quote of that pic that I realised the guy was holding a parasol, and not as I first though, a drumstick! :|
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I know what you mean. I have pretty much all I need tone wise. However, I really fancy a natural finish guitar. However, I also fancy a HSH Strat. I can see me having to put a partscaster together because natural Strats are rare as far as I can see...

I also fancy a Chapman ML3 Traditional... Or maybe the ML1 CAP10 - but that's not in a natural finish...

It's an addiction.
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1596
    I know what you mean. I have pretty much all I need tone wise. However, I really fancy a natural finish guitar. However, I also fancy a HSH Strat. I can see me having to put a partscaster together because natural Strats are rare as far as I can see...

I also fancy a Chapman ML3 Traditional... Or maybe the ML1 CAP10 - but that's not in a natural finish...

It's an addiction.
    Fender 70's reissue can be bought in natural
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3616
    shaunm said:

And that is something I really fancy but I really don't need any more guitars cluttering up the place.  :-S
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1596
    Neil;441511" said:
    shaunm said:

And that is something I really fancy but I really don't need any more guitars cluttering up the place.  :-S
    We all need more guitars cluttering up the place, that's what this thread is all about
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom