1/4 size for 5 year old

What's Hot

Hi all, newbie ! I've been learning about a year or so, but my five year old lad likes to join in. I said I'd get him his own to 'play' with, and who knows, he might take it up in years to come.

The thing is, I don't want to get anything which is just a toy more of a mini learning machine. I've decided it has to be 1/4 size as he's only little or his age.

Can anyone recommend anything?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    I bought one from Argos for my son when he was 5. It's an electric with an amp built in, but can also use an external amp. It's half size so standard tuning just doesn't work.

It's crap to play for a guitarist but my boy loved it, he's now 12 and my 4 year old has it and it still works and looks new even though it's been through hell.

It's was 25 pound so well worth the money.
  • I've just bought a half size guitar (which are easier to source) each for my two sons (3 3/4s & 5 3/4s) and the both get along fine with them so it might be worth checking.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • My wee one has a ukelele, it's tuned GCEA. and is perfect for her small hands. They're cheap too, so you don't need to worry about it getting a bit bashed.
    When she's a bit bigger I'll look into a small guitar for her.
  • http://loogguitars.com/

I've heard positive things about loog guitars from a friend of mine who got one for his daughter. As in, she's learning pretty well on it, and it is a fun enough instrument in its own right that he likes to play it too.
  • I considered a ukulele this orning.. it might be the way to go  (plus I wont be ale to resist having a play). the makala dolphin has been suggested.. might pick one up. Thanks :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Welcome btw. :)
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    When mine were 5 and 3 I got them a 1/2 size classical to bash about on. It was about £25 from Thomann. I did have to reattach the bridge after a bit of "alternative tuning" experimentation by them but it's survived so far and at that price I'm not exactly fussed.
    Eldest one is now 8 and playing a 3/4 classical, and I now have toddler who's nearly 3 and is quite happy with the 1/2 size.
    The middle one has a piano, in case you were wondering :)

TL/DR: I'd say 1/2 size for a 5 year old.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    IMHO a 5 year old child is too young to start playing guitar.  We all saw the videos of Far Eastern children, most of whom found it hard to look over the top of a guitar, playing very complicated pieces on the same guitar.  The child should be out playing hop scotch or skipping or following a football.

Leave the music until they are 8 or 9.....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    At 5 they treat it like the rest of their toys. I didn't start teaching mine till he got to 8 and expressed an interest.
    But if you give them a guitar at 5 and show them how to hold it, they soon start making noises with it and working out how to play it. So that when you teach them properly they're already comfortable with the instrument as a "thing".
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • I started playing at 4 because a teacher encouraged me as an outlet and felt I might take to it.  There is a vast difference between giving a 5 year old a guitar and showing them how to play their favourite nursery rhymes and the images portrayed of oriental parents refusing their kids supper until they've mastered Pavane for a Dead Princess.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I've got a video of my boy at 3 years old playing his half size electric through my mini stack rocking the wah like a pro :D
  • adibranch said:
    I considered a ukulele this orning.. it might be the way to go  (plus I wont be ale to resist having a play). the makala dolphin has been suggested.. might pick one up. Thanks :)

That's EXACTLY the one she has! It went camping with us "to keep her amused" I spent quite some time messing around on it in the evenings!

• GruGru Frets: 339
    I bought a Yamaha guitalele when my son was 5. I think they are £59 new. He is now 6 and picks it up and makes noise, but has yet to show any interest in a note or a chord, I have tried. I thought as a backup I could always use it, but find it very cramped for adult fingers.

I have tried to get him interested with changing strings, but it is only a small window of interest.

Maybe when he gets a little older he will become more interested? Who knows.
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Rocker said:
    IMHO a 5 year old child is too young to start playing guitar.  We all saw the videos of Far Eastern children, most of whom found it hard to look over the top of a guitar, playing very complicated pieces on the same guitar.  The child should be out playing hop scotch or skipping or following a football.

Middle child is 6. Dad's in a band. The dude wants to learn. Getting his second (destroyed last year's) one this year.

He's v much into AC/DC.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • adibranchadibranch Frets: 2
    edited December 2014

Rocker said:

Rocker, trust me, I'm fully aware of what a child should be doing at his age believe me. He isn't going to be locked away in a cupboard and not let out until he learns his scales. That's not what this is for. 

When children seeing their parents do something, they want to do the same. To him (and me) its a toy, nothing else. Its so he can pick something up make noises with it in the same way he plinky plonks on his toy keyboard with random notes. However, should he decide he wants to start playing or learning the names of individual notes in a year or two, I'm not going to stop him.

The reason why I'm asking on here as opposed to going out and buying a £10 argos guitar, is that I'm not a believer in buying junk.. even if it is a toy. Lets face it, any toy for £10 isn't going to be great, a guitar is no different. The other advantage is that if I buy a reasonable one, I can also mess about on it as well... especially if its a uke (which its most likely to be now).

Honest man the one I got from Argos has been battered and still works perctly.
  • I don't doubt it underdog :) but I think its going to be a ukulele now.. makes more sense. Less strings, smaller, and its a real instrument at the same time.
  • Got the 5yr a Uke, loves it, the 3 yr also now getting it and giving it a go.  They are having fun copying Dad.  All good fun.
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Ukulele at 5 great size easy to play and make different sounds
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6898
    stimpsonslostson;440953" said:
    adibranch said:

I considered a ukulele this orning.. it might be the way to go  (plus I wont be ale to resist having a play). the makala dolphin has been suggested.. might pick one up. Thanks :)

That's EXACTLY the one she has! It went camping with us "to keep her amused" I spent quite some time messing around on it in the evenings!
    I got the pink Makala for my daughter a while back to keep her off my guitars...

It's the perfect size for toddlers to pick up and run around with. And...

Lots more fun for parents than a small guitar!
    Previously known as stevebrum