Ibanez Artist AR300 from 1981

What's Hot
Have managed to keep my GAS under control for the last couple of years, but couldn't resist this. Built in the year that my interest in guitars was blossoming. This instrument confirms all of my prejudices about the superiority of Japanese made instruments to their comparable US products - puts my 2005 LP custom to shame.

http://i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy85/Ageinggroover/IMG_7112_zpsc0beab95.jpg
http://i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy85/Ageinggroover/IMG_7110_zps118280fa.jpg
http://i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy85/Ageinggroover/IMG_7111_zpsf5e71607.jpg

Merda Tauri Cerebrum Confundit
0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• That's ace. The only thing that puts me off getting either one of these or a Yamaha SG2000 is that it would probably make my '73 Les Paul look a bit shonky.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    What a stunner! I have an Ibby archtop from 1980 - they were really building some serious guitars back then weren't they?
  • Very nice indeed. I have an AR100, also from 1981, and you're right about the quality.

I know they re-released the Artist model a few years back but the ones I've seen (the cheaper models, admittedly) don't compare to my 80s one.
  • Very nice! You'd better send that shonky LP back from where it came... ;-)
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27452
    They got it just about right back then.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • I Have an AR200 which I bought new in '79. Fab guitars
  • Very nice! You'd better send that shonky LP back from where it came... ;-)
    It may happen "Snake"... Snake: is that the trouser variety! Drop round for a diddle, but don't bring Snake, he and I won't see eye-to-eye.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2942
    edited December 2014
    NIce! Get yourself over to Ibanez collectors, if you haven't already :-)

http://www.ibanezcollectors.com/forum/

...and will take the opportunity to share my Ibanez Musician, 1979. Don't need to say anything else really.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc23/blobb1/Ibanez mc500DS/R0014062.jpg

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Beauty!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• AgeinggrooverAgeinggroover Frets: 16
    edited December 2014

blobb said:
    NIce! Get yourself over to Ibanez collectors, if you haven't already :-)

http://www.ibanezcollectors.com/forum/

...and will take the opportunity to share my Ibanez Musician, 1979. Don't need to say anything else really.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc23/blobb1/Ibanez mc500DS/R0014062.jpg

Very nice - reminds me of my 1979 Aria Pro II TS-600, bought new by my brother in 1980. The Aria looks like it has a through neck but it's not. Again fab quality, but over-complex tone controls, and a PP9 powered booster circuit that takes od to a completely new level (not one you want!) - the pick-ups are already heavy-metaltastic!!! Lovely slim but fantastically strong neck.

http://i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy85/Ageinggroover/IMG_6054_zpsa578b15d.jpg

• blobbblobb Frets: 2942
    I find the active eq on the musician a lovely and great thing, so much so It's relegated all of my other guitars to life on the rack! Let us know how you get on with the Artist. A Beautiful instrument.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11590
    tFB Trader
    Beauty of a guitar - the Japanese had their act together back then!

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22774
    Have managed to keep my GAS under control for the last couple of years, but couldn't resist this. Built in the year that my interest in guitars was blossoming. This instrument confirms all of my prejudices about the superiority of Japanese made instruments to their comparable US products - puts my 2005 LP custom to shame.

I go back to exactly the same period - bought my first few issues of Guitar Player and admired the Ibanez AR300, Washburn Falcon, Aria CS400... and the Yamaha SG2000.  Plus various BC Rich and Dean models, but they were destined never to be seen in the UK.

I always watch eBay for AR300s but I don't think I'll ever buy one, they all seem to be incredibly heavy as was the fashion I the '80s.  I suspect the necks might be a bit skinny too.

Lovely guitars though!

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27452
    Philly_Q said:

admired the Ibanez AR300, Washburn Falcon, Aria CS400... and the Yamaha SG2000.  Plus various BC Rich and Dean models

Everyone always forgets the main Jap brand of that era. 

THE brand.

You know, begins with "K"

;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Philly_Q said:

I go back to exactly the same period - bought my first few issues of Guitar Player and admired the Ibanez AR300, Washburn Falcon, Aria CS400... and the Yamaha SG2000.  Plus various BC Rich and Dean models, but they were destined never to be seen in the UK.

I always watch eBay for AR300s but I don't think I'll ever buy one, they all seem to be incredibly heavy as was the fashion I the '80s.  I suspect the necks might be a bit skinny too.

Lovely guitars though!

I started out looking for a Yamaha SG and almost bought one or two back on MR, but I think the Artist is a much more aesthetically appealing guitar. You're right about the weight though, somewhat heavier than my LPC.

The neck is fairly slim (21.5 at the first fret) but it's about the same width at the nut (44mm) as the LP. Don't ask me what shape the LP neck is but it's about 23mm at the first fret.

I find the Ibanez neck very comfortable but I like the very slim 60s type neck of my Tokai ES135 (42mm wide at nut, 22.5 thick at first fret). I've also got a 1968 Gibson J45 that belonged to my other (late) brother and that has a ridiculously tiny neck - it's lovely though.
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    edited December 2014
    Very nice, here's my 76 2618, a great guitar but the neck is a bit skinny.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2014
    Loobs said:
    Very nice, here's my 76 2618:

Lovely - a very great year 1976 - what a summer!

BTW, is that the original case? Mine's identical only with a brown exterior - no logo or writing at all on it.
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    I wouldn't know. I was but an itch in my father's boxers back then.
    edited December 2014

Loobs said:
    I wouldn't know. I was but an itch in my father's boxers back then.
    I think you mean Y-fronts - it was the 1970s :)
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    Some absolute beauties there. I've never actually owned an Ibanez but I'd love any of those.

Funny, but my first two humbucker guitars were both Japanese, a late 70s Yamaha SF1000 followed by an early 80s Tokai Love Rock.

In both cases, I always felt I was using cheaper, inferior instruments to the LP Customs that all the (better off) players in the (better) bands were using. I now know that I probably had stuff that was at least the equal of the Gibsons of the time.