Which one of these 2 do you reckon i should have a go at?...

What's Hot
i`m a troubled man. i want to break my `guitar-build` virginity, have decided on a "PRS-alike", and after much deliberation have narrowed it down to these two candidates-

and,

i`m leaning toward the second one mainly because of the veneer on the top being more spectacular than the first. but i would appreciate any input from you chaps on here.do you see any probs with either, the electrics are not a consideration as i may well replace, both of them have the prs `birds` on the fretboard so nothing to choose there. any thoughts?...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'd say the second too. It looks rather better quality, and appears to be made in the same factory as 'Spear' guitars, which were roundly praised a few years ago! Should be a nice, solid kit. 
  • how do you know which factory it comes from?!!. i`ve stared at that ad for ages and didn`t see anything, maybe i was looking too hard. i`m thinking of going for high gloss finish in either a deep blue, or a ruby/dark red, how d`you reckon that veneer top will take it?.that was one of reasons, as i said that i veered toward it.
  • Just had a look around the shop- only those kits and Spear guitars for sale, so it was just a deduction! In theory, that sounds beautiful, but i'm not the best person to ask about that. I'm only just about to tackle my first kit too! There are lots of people around here that know their stuff though, so i'm sure some experts will be along soon!
  • ah, fair enough!. :)
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    I'd say the second one. I'm also popping my building cherry with this at Christmas http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o717/adamward3015/Mobile Uploads/20141204_123836_zpsxsuyqxrd.jpg
  • looks like you found your prezzy early. were you ferreting around in the wardrobe?.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    I was allowed to check it to make sure it was ok. Plus I dropped elephant sized hints so the Mrs bought it me
  • If it was me, I'd also go for the second one. I quite like some of the features on the first but buying from the States - although usually OK - just adds an unwanted complication.

Also, if it was me, I'd use red ink as the veneer stain if you want a ruby-look.  You've probably seen it before, but this is red ink and Ronseal:

Andy
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515  you are just the man i was hoping would pitch in on this thread!!, i`ve read your `quink` posts on here in the last day or so, and that look you`ve shown there is EXACTLY what i hope to achieve. how many applications did that beauty take?, was it neat ink or did you add anything?, and when you say `ronseal`, did you spray/dilute/apply by hand?, so many questions!!  
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    edited December 2014
    Hi, @cacophony
    I've got a few threads in various forums of how I go about things...I'll try to dig out the links when I get a moment.  Bear in mind that I do it the way I do it because, with the limited facilities I have, I've found it works for me.  There are other members who produce STUNNING results using completely different methods...

Ref the ink - the veneer colour will affect the tone of the colour and the varnish will darken it significantly...the closest it will be to the final colour is when it is still wet with the stain.  Great thing about using ink is the variety of colours and shades available.  As long as there is no PVA on the veneer - it should soak in just fine.  I apply with a cloth.

Ronseal Hardglaze, I thin down by 30-40% with white spirits and wipe on with a microfibre cloth.  

There are, of course, loads of tips and tricks just like any other method but that's the headlines...  
  • brilliant. thank-you! any links to further reading would be appreciated.i think it may be a trip to the pmt here in norwich for a few sneaky pics of the prs`s this weekend!.
  • well, i `pulled the trigger` on the second of those two kits. it was the one that in my heart i knew i`d go for. probably a little more than i wanted to pay for a first attempt, just in case it goes totally tits-up, but nothing ventured... doubt if i`ll get it before christmas now, so it`ll give me time to plan and scheme. excited and nervous at the prospect, and really looking forward to it. 

keep any suggestions and tips coming please, i will need all the help i can get. and expect lots of stupid questions over the coming weeks and months!. starting with- Andyjr1515, which particular make or type of ink do you recommend please?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • For the SG I used this red calligraphy ink:   But permanent red Quink (Parker) will do.  

Also - if you want lots of choice of colour shades, Diamine do a great range and also do samples (which is useful because often the colours aren't quite like the swatches or are affected by the veneer colour and you need to consider a slightly different shade).

I used Diamine ink for this green bass:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3875
    Second one, without a doubt. Looking forward to hopefully seeing your build on here
    ;)

btw that bass is gorgeous @Andyjr1515
  • thank you for those links, superb.so many shades of red on the diamine one!. and deadman, hopefully i`ll stick some piccies up as i plough through the process.
  • Deadman said:
    Second one, without a doubt. Looking forward to hopefully seeing your build on here
    ;)

btw that bass is gorgeous @Andyjr1515
    Thanks @Deadman  The owner has just picked it up this evening - he's delighted with it...it's why I like doing this stuff!
  • had a mooch on the diamene site. not too sure about which colour i may go for now!. haven`t even got the bloody kit yet and already i`m in a quandry. might still be `ruby red`, but then again `imperial purple` and `sapphire` look pretty handsome. choices choices.
  • cacophony said:
    had a mooch on the diamene site. not too sure about which colour i may go for now!. haven`t even got the bloody kit yet and already i`m in a quandry. might still be `ruby red`, but then again `imperial purple` and `sapphire` look pretty handsome. choices choices.
    Be aware that they sometimes differ greatly from the swatches and also that they will stain differently depending on the veneer colour and grain characteristics.  

Note that Diamine do samples at a very reasonable price...try a few on a bit of pine strip - it will give you a rough approximation (and you can pop a coat of varnish on top too which will give an even better idea...).  If you order a few samples from them today, you will probably get them through the post by mid next week! 

Also, obvious I suppose, the more coats you put on the darker it gets...
  • "Also, obvious I suppose, the more coats you put on the darker it gets..."

nothing`s obvious to a berk like me who`s never done this before!! :) so, if when i apply the very first `coat` of ink/stain, does that mean that you have to be pretty quick and get it all covered before the first bit you did starts to dry?, because if it does dry-off a bit then any further application or overlap will be effectively a second coat?...

that green bass up there ^ is a pretty handsome beast btw.
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Looking forward to seeing the build progress @cacophony and the best of luck with it. They do look like excellent kits - I unfortunately spotted this one, and it's causing me some problems resisting: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Electric-Guitar-ML-Factory-Headless-Hollowbody/dp/B00GZ38WME/ref=sr_1_8?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1418469258&sr=1-8&keywords=ML-Factory :D