Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Of all the ways to recover from a broken string...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    I broke a string at a gig a while ago luckily it was the track with the breakdown introduce the band section so I rushed off stage at that point and one of the guys in the support band passed me his guitar (I only owned one at the time). I came back on stage with a very flash PRS just in time to play my solo. 

After the gig everyone kept coming up to me and saying "Flash bastard" as they thought I'd changed guitar to play the solo!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    Funny, I love that performance from Clapton. To me, his Soldano rig on this and 24 Nights is actually my favourite Clapton tone. The suit is amazing! 

Phil Palmer takes an extended solo while Eric gets his backup guitar. Note that the strap changes. From Orange/white/black to multicolour with a different pattern. He has two identical Pewter Strats. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    edited December 2014
    Niallmo;443252" said:
    Funny, I love that performance from Clapton. To me, his Soldano rig on this and 24 Nights is actually my favourite Clapton tone. The suit is amazing! 

Phil Palmer takes an extended solo while Eric gets his backup guitar. Note that the strap changes. From Orange/white/black to multicolour with a different pattern. He has two identical Pewter Strats. 
    You are clearly a proper EC fan.

Love you bro!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IMO there's not much wrong with El Clappo's performance. It's obvious he doesn't have to try too hard and those licks come easy to him.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    Niallmo;443252" said:

Love you bro!
    I'm probably one of the few who thinks Eric was better in the 90's than the sixties and, for instance, think the 24 Nights version of White Room is absolutely better than the original. If there are people that believe he lacked passion around that kinda era I would point you to the absolutely stunning version of Don't think Twice, it's Alright from the Bob Dylan Tribute Concert. Master of his art and his current tour version of Pretending is a thing of beauty.
  • Niallmo;443321" said:
    people that believe he lacked passion around that kinda era I would point you to the absolutely stunning version of Don't think Twice, it's Alright from the Bob Dylan Tribute Concert
    Wow! I remember seeing (and recording on VHS) this at the time ('93?) He was on fire.

I remember reading an interview with Gary Moore - he was in the audience and said pretty much the same. He was blown away by how good EC was.

I'm hugely biased - EC is a childhood hero - he's been extraordinarily significant in my life.

But those who write him off after Cream are just wrong....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • But those who write him off after Cream are just wrong....
    That's as maybe but IMO The Bluesbreakers and a lot of Cream were his finest hour.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    edited December 2014
    impmann said:
    That Clapton clip reminds me *exactly* why I can't stand anything he's done since Cream. Pedestrian, going-through-the-motion, whiney, white-boy blues... more fire in an extinguisher.
    I'd draw the line a little later than Cream, but that performance was appalling. I couldn't take any more after just seeing that he'd changed guitar. The other guy's solo didn't help either, it was horrible too. It would have reminded me why I hate electric "blues" so much, if SRV hadn't just reminded me why I don't always...

I actually like much of Clapton's 70s output, even though it doesn't always have the same fire as the Cream stuff. For me his finest hour was Derek & The Dominos, and his last good album was Another Ticket, but I may be in a minority here.

And I still think While My Guitar Gently Weeps is probably his single finest piece of playing.

(Actually Unplugged is good too, but completely different.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Cream had a lot to do with Jack Bruce, and I don't think Clapton has worked closely with such a talented songwriter since. He was also a better singer which helped.
  • Showed the SRV clip to my mate, his reply was "nearly as slick as Jeff Beck"

So i bit, he reckons that JB changed a broken string while he was still playing!!

Yeah right, of course he did, he swears it is true, sounds like an urban myth to me. Either that or my mate has been nudging the turps

Anyone else heard of this?
  • Niallmo;443321" said:
    richardhomer said:

Niallmo;443252" said:Funny, I love that performance from Clapton. To me, his Soldano rig on this and 24 Nights is actually my favourite Clapton tone. The suit is amazing! 

Love you bro!

I'm probably one of the few who thinks Eric was better in the 90's than the sixties and, for instance, think the 24 Nights version of White Room is absolutely better than the original. If there are people that believe he lacked passion around that kinda era I would point you to the absolutely stunning version of Don't think Twice, it's Alright from the Bob Dylan Tribute Concert. Master of his art and his current tour version of Pretending is a thing of beauty.

"24 Nights" is great along with "From the Cradle", I also like "Journeyman".
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26749
    Showed the SRV clip to my mate, his reply was "nearly as slick as Jeff Beck"

So i bit, he reckons that JB changed a broken string while he was still playing!!

Yeah right, of course he did, he swears it is true, sounds like an urban myth to me. Either that or my mate has been nudging the turps

Anyone else heard of this?
    I can't find a video, but I'm fairly sure I've seen a video of that. Not even sure if it was JB or someone else, but I don't think I imagined it.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBM said:
    I actually like much of Clapton's 70s output, even though it doesn't always have the same fire as the Cream stuff. For me his finest hour was Derek & The Dominos, and his last good album was Another Ticket, but I may be in a minority here.

And I still think While My Guitar Gently Weeps is probably his single finest piece of playing.

This. 
    Derek & The Dominos is my favourite Eric stuff. 

Stevie is awesome.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    ICBM said:

This. 
    Derek & The Dominos is my favourite Eric stuff. 

Stevie is awesome.
    The Dominos Live album is pretty much my favourite Clapton record. 

The jams disc on the Layla boxset is also great to hear.