Spend my £550. On me. Not you.

What's Hot
ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
As per my other, frankly ignored, thread, I have some cash to spend.

I will be keeping an eye on gumtree and other local sites for anything used that comes up and tickles my fancy but, I'm not entirely averse to buying new for the right guitar. I'm a bit wary of eBay for guitars, having been badly bitten once before, and since I live in Northern Ireland some of you mainlanders (although, obviously not you mainlanders, my comrades on this forum!) seem to think its fair game to pick a random (large) number when it comes to postage 

I have a Tele and Strat - both vanilla , with single coils. I primarily play at home, through unremarkable gear (HRD, Superchamp x2 (although that might go to fund a Yamaha THR) and a smattering of pedals).

I pretty much only play blues and classic rock with occasional forays into Americana (Drive-By Truckers, Midlake, Decemberists - not sure if Americana is the correct term, but it'll do) and Prog.

I'm not averse to another Tele or Strat with a different pickup config. I discovered recently, I don't like SGs. I'm on the fence about LPs and semi-hollows.

Some suggestions would be nice from anyone who's been in the same situation. 

The cash is available and must be used to buy gear before it disappears into school uniforms, car repairs, a new shower etc.

Help me.

P.S. I reserve the right to ignore all advice and buy something I think I'll like but will discover within a month that I don't and resell, probably at a significant loss. For example, one of those Epiphone LP Tributes with the Gibson pups etc.
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader
    I recently bought an ASAT Special for £500. I think you would be hard pushed to find a better bolt neck for that kind of wedge. 
    If you are more of a set neck guy then you could probably find an SG1000 for that sort of money.
    You could of course buy my awesome CV Tele and have loads of cash spare!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    CVs are great but I have a Tele, I'm afraid.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

How about a Tele with 'buckers?

Or, if you can find one, one of the Koa Strat's or Tele from a few years ago. I love my Koa Strat.

I won't bother suggesting what I'd get as I doubt Floyds and high output bucker's are what you want......

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Tele Black Dove (it's a Tele Deluxe with P-90s effectively). You need P-90s in your life.

I am seriously considering one for myself once funds allow.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    Yes, a Tele with buckers or P90s remains an option
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    What about a yamaha 611?  They're about £530 with a humbucker + p90.  Win + win = win  ;)

Though admittedly you'll lose about £200 of that when you inevitably come to sell in a month... or two
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7142
    P90s.

Just something with P90s.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yes, the 611 is very, very tempting. It's only the inevitable loss if (when) I sell that's delaying me! There's one on eBay... Could be worth the risk... It's in Root Beer too!

And P90s are almost inevitable, Stonevibe. It's about time I manned up.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    edited August 2013
    Chuffola said:
    Yes, the 611 is very, very tempting. It's only the inevitable loss if (when) I sell that's delaying me! There's one on eBay... Could be worth the risk... It's in Root Beer too!

And P90s are almost inevitable, Stonevibe. It's about time I manned up.
    Definitely time to man up p90s are awesome and i'm acutely aware that I no longer have a guitar with some anymore.   :((

Oh Oh just realised if you do get one... dibs when you sell 
    ;)
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    How about a Squier Cabronita? :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Or an Epi ES-339?
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    It seems everyone is suggesting P90's and I'll go with the crowd and suggest them too. I recently got a budget Yamaha with 2 humbuckers and frankly it has no right to be this good for the price I paid, it's getting more attention than guitars costing 5 times as much.
    The only thing stopping me going for the Yam 611 is the loss on resale. I might have a look for demos on the 311 which is only around £270, same sort of thing but with lower end hardware... Which could all be upgraded in due course if its a keeper. 

Thanks for suggestions so far but I'd like to hear from people as to why they are suggesting particular guitars. Even better if you own one!

Cabronita with the bigsby is a contender too (sorry Bucket).  Had a 339 before and didn't really gel with it.
    Adam_MD said:

Oh Oh just realised if you do get one... dibs when you sell 
    ;)

Cheeky!
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Go for a Jazzmaster - plenty of options for that sort of dosh and if you buy second hand you might pickup one of the original purple Mascis ones

• streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631

JookyChap said:
    Go for a Jazzmaster - plenty of options for that sort of dosh and if you buy second hand you might pickup one of the original purple Mascis ones
    Was considering selling my purple JM a while back but I've just started to get her properly sorted, keeping hold of it now. I'm back over to Northern Ireland in a couple of weeks and could've saved him the postage too.  :P

Re postage: I bought one of those new affinity strats while over there last month, got it sent from Germany, was cheaper than buying from mainland UK and the local shop was OOS. 

This one looks to have been returned, £100 cheaper than new. 

These look great fun too!

• streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    Or save yourself some money and try a Danelectro 12 string... I've got my beady eyes on one myself.  :|
    Had a quick blast on one of those swirly design strats at lunch. sounded good and looks suitably Jookyish! Its a contender, albeit no P90s.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2356
    Chuffola said:
    I'm a bit wary of eBay for guitars, having been badly bitten once before, and since I live in Northern Ireland some of you mainlanders (although, obviously not you mainlanders, my comrades on this forum!) seem to think its fair game to pick a random (large) number when it comes to postage 
    LOL

I'd probably get something with humbuckers or p90s (unless the classic rock and blues stuff you play doesn't use them)
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    A Dano is a good idea - one of the hand painted ones is up cheap new at the mo Here