Soloing on an acoustic

What's Hot

So, due to the rather odd departure of our bass player, my band has decided we should do a couple of our small Shows as an acoustic trio... now I have not really done an acoustic band before so I was wondering what sort of Setup you'd go for.

1st a good way of boosting solos and increasing sustain - I am thinking a compressor, eg Mad Prof forrest green (I can ge this cheap at the mo)?

2nd I use a lot of delay - normally I go for analog style delay, but a bit worried that it might get a but muddy?

3rd   Also worried that 2 acoustics and a Cajon will all Sound a but too similar any good ideas to get a bit of clarity in our PA mix?

4th normally we only add a tiny amount of reverb to the Vox - we are playing a couple of very small rooms/bars, so would you add reverb to everything?

Would welcome any thoughts as we only have 1 rehearsal opportunity before the 1st gig!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'd suggest that the "rhythm section" backs off a bit during the solo so that the solo instrument can be heard. Cooperation between musicians etc. Try arranging the music between yourselves ...

Less delay works imo
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2909
    Less is more, with acoustic setups. The faintest bit of delay should do you fine.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited December 2014
    Without having heard your music, but having had (sadly quite a bit of) experience of doing acoustic stuff because there isn't a full line up for a regular show here's what I'd do:

1st a good way of boosting solos and increasing sustain - I am thinking a compressor, eg Mad Prof forrest green (I can ge this cheap at the mo)?

Personally I'd keep it simple and either have the other guitarist back off a bit which will make you seem louder, or have them play a simpler version of the solo backing which will leave a bit more space (e.g. less notes in the chords etc).  The Cajon player probably won't have to sit back too much but may want to simplify beats so he's not playing over you too much.

2nd I use a lot of delay - normally I go for analog style delay, but a bit worried that it might get a but muddy?

I wouldn't worry about changing your delay it will probably be fine.

3rd   Also worried that 2 acoustics and a Cajon will all Sound a but too similar any good ideas to get a bit of clarity in our PA mix?

Best option IMO is to re-arrange the music, if possible.  Two acoustics playing the same chords might sound a bit muddy and cluttered especially if it isn't really tight and in tune, but if one of you plays a different voicing of the same chord or something else complimentary then it can sound great.

4th normally we only add a tiny amount of reverb to the Vox - we are playing a couple of very small rooms/bars, so would you add reverb to everything?

Adding reverb to everything can quickly make it sound drowned out in average room which will have a bit of an ambience to it already.  If you've got no time to set up go conservatively low, or off for instruments IMO, others may disagree but that is what I'd do.  I've not heard your music but reverb on two guitars has much more potential to make your sound muddy than the analogue delay does.

Best of luck dude!
  • Great, some good tips.

Happily the 2 guitar parts are always completely different. so I think that should be ok.

will persuade the others to pay attention to the dynamics then :)
    I think I will use a volume pedal just to give myself some head room in case.

• I use a Carl Martin 'Hydra Boost' for acoustic solos, also works well for quiter finger picking bits.

• I think I will use a volume pedal just to give myself some head room in case.

I was going to suggest this, I used one for most of my gigging life, electric and acoustic.
    Great, some good tips.

Happily the 2 guitar parts are always completely different. so I think that should be ok.

will persuade the others to pay attention to the dynamics then :)
    I think I will use a volume pedal just to give myself some head room in case.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• MistergMisterg Frets: 290
    He's far too polite to blow his own trumpet, but check out what out own @bluechargeboy does with an acoustic, a cahon and a bass...

Some proper recordings here:

http://hedgegods.com/sounds/
  • Misterg said:
    He's far too polite to blow his own trumpet, but check out what out own @bluechargeboy does with an acoustic, a cahon and a bass...

Some proper recordings here:

http://hedgegods.com/sounds/
    Amazing!
  • Heeeeeeeeey! :)  @misterg is part of the long-suffering enforced fan club!

Technically that is a cajon, djembe, conga, tambourine, shaker and cymbal. Bit more of a pain in the arse to mic up than a cajon by itself.

To answer the question I would tend to go with the using-dynamics option if you can, if only because it is more predictable than a boost with acoustic instruments (potential feedback in a "tinkering sound engineer" scenario). Probably more enjoyable and "musical" to listen to as well, not enough people out there using light and shade in their music (he says, posting underneath two videos of him thrashing the bejesus out of his guitar).

I often use a Keeley or Zoom G3 compressor to reign in the extemes of strumming, and it helps with sustained notes in quite dramatic fashion. Warms the sound up a bit too. Bit of reverb on the PA, done.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Amazing!

Thanks! :)
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.