Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Erm fickle bunch aren't we

What's Hot

Comments

• But, that said, it's still perfectly legal to sell such a guitar because the intended purpose of those parts - manufactured legally - is to be used in a guitar.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    That's not how I understand @fretmeister's comments, but perhaps he could chip in here and clarify; I'm certainly no lawyer.
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Does anyone really care? It's a nice guitar advertised for what it is! A Nash guitar. If I had a few more readies I would buy it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27453
    mart said:

A guitar, made from official fender parts (everything - necks, pickups, wiring, pots etc etc all bought from Fender) is still not a Fender guitar. It is a guitar assembled from Fender parts.

It's not being sold as a "Fender" guitar.  It's being sold as a Bill Nash, assembled from licensed parts including Fender, guitar.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17599
    tFB Trader
    capo4th;445953" said:
    Does anyone really care? It's a nice guitar advertised for what it is! A Nash guitar. If I had a few more readies I would buy it.
    Yes because the site could be shut down for selling stolen goods.

We don't do it for our health

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24250
    But, that said, it's still perfectly legal to sell such a guitar because the intended purpose of those parts - manufactured legally - is to be used in a guitar.
    Yes. But it's still a guitar manufactured from Fender parts and not a fender guitar. It must be advertised properly.

But the Nash stuff (and Limelight etc etc) that has Fender logos on it- Disclosure of the fakeness is no defence. It's against the law to sell it with a logo on it even if there is a disclaimer about the origin.

Just because 1 seller is honest, doesn't mean the next one will be. That's why disclaimers are not allowed.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5145
    Well if I hadn't just bought my Angry Angus Strat I would be buying it (and I did call dibs on his 'show and tell')
    Call the cops
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Just to be clear here....  I jumped in early, with an amount of jest, as this has been pretty much done to death on here and as grown ups we should be able to make up our own minds if we are interested in it or bothered by it.

I am however mindful of getting the FB team in the stinky stuff if it can come back on them.

@Gassage, absolutely no inferences about you or your very nice Strat, just so that's clear too.
  • capo4th;445953" said:
    Yes because the site could be shut down for selling stolen goods.

We don't do it for our health

I don't think anyone is saying it is stolen!

Nothing wrong legally with selling genuine guitar parts from any manufacturer (or collection of manufacturers) as long as you are not misrepresenting their status (ie selling fake bits or pretending they are something they are not). If I wanted to add a LP neck to a Strat body and sell the monstrous result there is absolutely nothing that Fender or Gibson could do to stop me unless I was claiming that the Frankenguitar was actually a Fender or a Gibson. 

That's the civil law. As far as criminal proceedings are concerned, assuming it is not stolen then there is an offence of obtaining pecuniary advantage by deception that would apply if you said it was something it wasn't in order to get a better price - but that isn't happening here if the seller is honest.

I am a solicitor, as well as a not very good guitar player.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OK, I've emailed Fender UK to get an answer on this. I'll let you know as soon as I hear back.
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    I just had a quick peek at the Nash website.  It suggests that they do the woodwork.  Interestingly none of the guitars in their photos show any kind of logo.

What happens if someone buys one sans logo and adds one?
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26566
    edited December 2014
    Richardj said:
    I just had a quick peek at the Nash website.  It suggests that they do the woodwork.  Interestingly none of the guitars in their photos show any kind of logo.

What happens if someone buys one sans logo and adds one?
    Then it's a counterfeit, and illegal to sell in the UK.
    <space for hire>
  • (..Hoping for a free wow fret) :)

(..Hoping for a free wow fret) :)

Have a wisdom too for such a cunning plan!
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    @Gassage. Might want to flog a Cornish pedal instead mate! ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah stick the Nash under the bed for a while... Unbelievable.
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Pleased I'm not flogging any of mine! Well, the law is there for a purpose gents.

Somebody say Gumtree???
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    Doesn't seem to stop the shops selling nash's, bravewoods etc.

It would be a real shame if these couldn't be sold here
  • FWIW I think so too.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    edited December 2014

I read some of the outpourings about the sale of partcasters and "fakes". And some of the opinion on here is flawed.

For example - the La Cab type thing I have for sale has a Fender neck from a Lite Ash Tele. It still has a Fender logo on that neck as it is a Fender neck, likewise the bridge has Fender stamped into the saddles as that was how it was made. I'm not purporting it to be a Fender guitar - its not - but it does have Fender parts in it, which are not fake. Therefore it is NOT a fake as I am not trying to pass it off as such... However, some have said that it cannot be sold as such because it shows the Fender logo on the headstock... RUBBISH.

Some on here seem to believe that a guitar has to be made in the Fender factory by Fender employees in order to have that logo on the headstock. That's bollocks, frankly. And this business about mitigating the chance of a new owner doing something improper with it when they come to sell it - that isn't my problem (or anyone else's either), nor can it ever be in law. For example, you don't sell a set of bolt-croppers and then can be responsible for their use in a robbery. 

Leo Fender designed the Strat and the Tele to have a neck that can be replaced by a service engineer - hence the bolt on nature - when it wore. To that end Fender themselves make replacement necks that can be retro-fitted to a Fender guitar by anyone who can wield a screwdriver. The two parts of the guitar (the Fender made body and the Fender made neck) were both made in the Fender factory and therefore it is fair to say that the guitar is a Fender guitar. IT IS PART OF THE DESIGN therefore this interpretation cannot be applied.

Extrapolating that still further, if you then had an all-original 1957 Fender Strat and needed to adjust the truss rod, the action of you removing the neck to make that adjustment means that the neck had not been installed by a Fender employee... therefore using this draconian interpretation of the law its no longer a Fender instrument. Really? I think not.

As with all things in law, it is an *interpretation* of the statutes that people can work to - and the law is *deliberately* written so it can be interpreted in different ways, so it is never absolute.

Back to the guitar in question - good luck to the seller, I'm sure its very nice.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom