Neck finishing for idiots.

What's Hot
Allparts TMO FAT is waiting for me at home to finish over the Xmas break.

What's the best and easiest way to apply a durable, tinted finish to the neck? It looks very anaemic at the moment:

Tru Oil? Rub on poly?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LoobsLoobs Frets: 3831
    edited December 2014
    Do I need to grain fill it? Someone told me I should sand with a very high grade paper first.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16645
    No grainfiller required, maple doesn't have open pores.

You can just rub on tru-oil after sanding to 400g as a minimum. Just keep rubbing, and make sure you buff off all the excess

I tend to go a lot further, but obviously that adds complexity
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Tru oil is super easy and feels excellent when it cures.
    Tell me what you do, Wez?
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    I would go with Tru Oil myself - just a few very thin coats, and allow to cure for maybe 12 hours between coats. In the past I've just rubbed it on with a folded paper kitchen towel, and smoothed back between coats with very fine wire wool (OOOO Liberon is good) and also cleaned with naptha (e.g. Zippo lighter fuel). I'm not sure if @WezV is recommending just a single coat, would be interested to know.
    I will see if I can find it, have typed it up a few times
    WezV said:
    I will see if I can find it, have typed it up a few times
    Nice one, cheers! :)
    Megii;450985" said:
    I would go with Tru Oil myself - just a few very thin coats, and allow to cure for maybe 12 hours between coats. In the past I've just rubbed it on with a folded paper kitchen towel, and smoothed back between coats with very fine wire wool (OOOO Liberon is good) and also cleaned with naptha (e.g. Zippo lighter fuel). I'm not sure if @WezV is recommending just a single coat, would be interested to know.
    His durable is it? Isn't the neck prone to warping with only tru oil applied? And does it give a more vintage correct amber hue? Right now the neck's a bit pasty.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3875
    I just spray mine with tinted sander sealer and T cut Loobs. That's it.
    Sorry I can't be of more help.
    @Deadman how do you get the tint? As you can see, the maple is pretty pale.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3875
    On my maple one I just added a few drops of yellow wood stain. On the rosewood one I just stained it yellow and shot clear sander sealer over the top. I've got nitro lacquer to go over it but never bother as the sander sealer polishes up a treat and wears really well.
    edited December 2014
    At this point I have to admit I've only used Tru Oil once on a guitar neck (but also on several guitar bodies), and only for the headstock - which came out looking like this:

But I like working with the stuff, and would feel fairly confident finishing a whole neck. It does darken the wood somewhat, and also gives it a bit warmer kind of tone, plus brings out any figuring in the wood. Don't know if I'd call it "vintage correct" though, probably I'd say the result is lighter than that to be honest. The rest of the neck is actually finished with a few coats of clear Wudtone base coat, that I had left over after doing a guitar body, and that came out surprisingly well - but very similar in terms of tone to the headstock face:

Applied in very much the same way I suggested for the Tru Oil, just very thin coats, although somewhat more needed for the first coat, as it soaks into the wood at first. I've found both the Tru Oil and Wudtone to be plenty durable. Come to think of it, I think Wudtone do specific neck finishing kits, with I believe a vintage tint option - so maybe worth investigating there. I've not had any trouble with the neck warping, and I'm sure it's well protected in that regard.
    the tru-oil alone won't add much tint, but it won't look as pasty as it does now

here is the wetsanded tru-oil technique

o
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30873
    I'm looking forward to seeing the finished Loobcaster.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

edited December 2014
    @WezV thanks, I can't wait to get started.

You think this method gives a durable enough finish? Is the neck gonna get dirty or warp?

Also, what do you tint the neck with? And how do I go about doing this if the neck is already fretted? Do I rub it off the Frets with wire wool?
    i mention both tru and danish oil in that tutorial.   the ones I have done with danish oil have got dirty pretty quickly and need redoing occasionally.  the ones with tru oil stay clean and need less maintenance

but my aim with this finish type of finish is not durability, cleanliness or stability.    its all about the feel!

having said that, I have not had stability issues on any of the allparts necks I have done it on (quite a few). 
    Tru Oil it is. Where should I buy it? Amazon?
    OK, tru oil and wire wool bought.
    You use the wire wool to buff?
  • You could try Wudtone - the neck finish is really, properly fantastic. Slightly satin. 

However, the vintage one is very very tinted - orangey.  I mix some of this with the untinted one and apply, and it looks great and feels fabulous. 

However, on my next build, I'm trying @wezv's method.  I've heard it makes the fastest necks around :)