Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Amp lifting

What's Hot
Just took my blackstar down to the car. The hardest part was lifting it off the ground, from there I carried it with two hands in front of my chest and then used the trolley. I know you're supposed to lift with your legs but I can't help but feel that for that initial lift off the ground I'm not doing my back any favours. Tips?
3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Try lifting from a squatting position?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549

However you do it, keep your back straight and lift with your legs. Anyone that has been trained to manually lift stuff safely gets this drummed into them. The other thing that gets drummed in is to know your limits - if it doesn't feel right, don't do it. Get assistance and/or use a mechanical aid.

The specifics of the initial lift depend on the size, shape, weight, weight distribution, what hand-holds there are, etc.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    Be bloody careful ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 1nten5e1nten5e Frets: 245
    You can't feasibly squat a wide amp off the ground if you're holding the side handles, cos your knees are against it......you can only do it by bending your back and it's not good.........better to get a second pair of hands
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • A straight back and bent legs helps but I don't think lifting anything heavy is good for your back regardless of how you lift it.

I've suffered with a bad back for years - nothing serious like some folk get but if I do something stupid I can end up struggling to move for a little while.  Last time I did it was lifting my cab actually.  We'd finished rehearsal a bit late and were rushing to pack up and I just bent over to lift it without thinking.

If it's something you suffer with then I suggest doing some exercises that focus on your core.  Mine's been much better recently because of it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 10thumbs10thumbs Frets: 427
    Get the wife to do it.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ^ Minus the wheelchair of course
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    1nten5e said:
    You can't feasibly squat a wide amp off the ground if you're holding the side handles, cos your knees are against it......you can only do it by bending your back and it's not good.........better to get a second pair of hands
    I had to go and try it with mine because I couldn't remember exactly how I do it, but it's this:

Stand over the amp leaning forward. Lift it by the side handles, using arms *only* - keeping my back exactly at the same angle. Bend knees forwards while tilting my body backwards, so my back is now vertical (but the angle between back and thighs hasn't changed) and the amp is resting against my thighs. Now lift with the legs so it's at carrying height.

I have back trouble too, and I'd feel it if that was too much stress. The last time I hurt myself it was with an amp of less than half the weight which I foolishly lifted down from a bench with one hand in a hurry.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• They had some foldable trolleys in Lidl yesterday for £15. Feel I should have bought one. I'm a bit reluctant with valve amps and trollies as I feel, rightly or wrongly, they will shake it to death. Wouldn't be an issue with an ID though.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    get your wife to carry it for you...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• I lift mine with one hand on the top handle, until I can get the other hand right underneath. Then rest the amp on my belt while holding it against my chest, by the sides.

It's surprising how much that little bit of support from the belt underneath works.

• Hit the gym.
    I broke thee vertebrae in my back when I was 21.
    55 now.I go to the gym ,can lift 250kg from below knee height.
  • Some wise person once told me - its impossible to lift with a straight back - as you backbone is curved.  If its straight your in trouble.

What is actually meant by "lift with a straight back", is actually "dont lift with your back".  That is dont bend over at the waist and straighten up.  You CAN bend at the waist then lift with the knees - keeping your back bent - however thats not good for anything really heavy - your better not bending at the waist.

Whats really heavy?  Well that depends on the individual really.  The guide (I believe) is up to 15Kg is fine for one person.  Anything over that up to 35 Kg is really a two person lift (or multi person lift).  Anything over 35Kg shouldnt be lifted manually - but lifting aids should be used. 
  • 1nten5e1nten5e Frets: 245
    ICBM said:
    I had to go and try it with mine because I couldn't remember exactly how I do it, but it's this:

Stand over the amp leaning forward. Lift it by the side handles, using arms *only* - keeping my back exactly at the same angle. Bend knees forwards while tilting my body backwards, so my back is now vertical (but the angle between back and thighs hasn't changed) and the amp is resting against my thighs. Now lift with the legs so it's at carrying height.

My knees only bend backwards :p
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    Just a thought...shouldn't this thread be best in the amp forum?
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    edited December 2014
    ^ Minus the wheelchair of course
    Unless you're in a Nirvana tribute band. ;)
    MattFGBI said:
    Axe FX? 
    Hmm. If I'd said I was struggling to lift a Twin, would you have recommended I replace it with a Kemper? ;)
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    edited December 2014
    Voxman;451431" said:
    Just a thought...shouldn't this thread be best in the amp forum?
    There is already a thread in 'Amps' about how hard @thomasross20 finds it to lift his amp....

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/29573/amplifier-mistake-blackstar/p1