NGD - Squier Vintage Modified 70's Stratocaster

What's Hot
AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
edited December 2014 in Guitar
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    The vintage modified range are phenomenally good guitars for the dough.

Good score dude, still loving that tele.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    The Squier is a fantastic guitar, especially considering it's price, but it's not without it's faults. These are easily rectified and understandable with a guitar at this price point but still, if you're considering one you should know a few things you will have to live with.........

The Tremolo is awful. It's the cheapest piece of rubbish i've ever seen. i am going to start a thread in 'Making and Modding' to cover what i did to this thing when i got it home to make it playable and also to document what i do to it in the coming months to upgrade the problem components and turn it into an Epic Strat.

The Fretwork and neck are amazing - vintage frets, all very well done indeed and very comfortable to play. Fairly level for a Squier although it will need a Luthier to level and dress them properly to get it spot on.

The Tuners are brilliant. Slotted vintage type, work perfectly and hold the strings just fine. The action is nice and tight but still smooth, very impressed with these.

The Basswood body feels fine, not too heavy, not too light and the finish is nigh on perfect. I polished it with 'Meguiars' and then treated it with Carnauba Wax and it looks amazing.

The Electronics work. That's the best thing i can say about them. @TheGuitarWeasel will be getting an order for some 'Stone Tone' pickups in the new year and Switchcraft parts will replace the rest.

All in all it IS a very nice guitar, you just have to see past the parts that are obviously part of it's budget build, however what Squier have done is build an amazing guitar underneath that so once the Tremolo and Electronics have been replaced, along with a Fret level and dressing, WOW - this is one of those incredible guitars that you would never want to sell.

Given that i started this year with just a Squier Standard Tele and no amp, i think i've done really well trading here and there, saving up, scouring used adverts and working my ass off to put together what i've got now and this Strat just kind of completes it for me. I have wanted one of these since i first saw it back in the summer and despite it's slight hardware issues, i'm really pleased i got it.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    That's exactly why I like them. They got the basics right with these and the main cost savings are areas id be swopping anyway - the trem and electrics.

My cv tele was the same and after a set of mojos and new pots, switch etc is my number 2.
    Adam_MD said:
    The vintage modified range are phenomenally good guitars for the dough.

Good score dude, still loving that tele.
    Thanks Adam,

I'm sure you're not that far away from me here in Bedford......

If you fancy a pint in the new year, i will bring the Telecaster along for you to see if you would like ?
    All the credit goes to @FelineGuitars. Jonathan and Tom took an off the shelf Fender and made it something unique and amazing and i would really like people to see, play and hear it for themselves so more people can understand what kind of skill and passion those guys have.

The Squier Stratocaster and the Gretsch Jet Club will both be visiting Feline in the new year for the work they need, although neither of those will have any refinishing work done like the Telecaster did.
  • Alnico said:
    Nice bit of Black Strat action going on there Andy :)
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    ^
    Thanks man.
    My New Years Resolution is to do these guitars some justice and finally get to where i've always wanted to be.........
    Back on Stage !
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Nice one fella, I like that model a lot.

Proper headstock.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Bucket said:
    Nice one fella, I like that model a lot.

Proper headstock.
    Thanks.

It really means it doesn't it !
  • What's the neck like on the squire Strat, looks very nice indeed, good score:-)
    What's the neck like on the squire Strat, looks very nice indeed, good score:-)
    The neck is really very good. The fretwork is good, no sharp edges and they've levelled and dressed them to a reasonable extent. A quick polish with some 'PEEK' and they are shiny and nice to play.
    It looks like it would be a 70's neck but it's not, it's just a 9.5" Radius modern 'C' but with vintage frets. You have to accept that the dot markers are painted on under the laquer, or they look like they are to me, but they don't look bad at all and the laquer is very well applied.
    The tuners are not only the best design ever made but very, very good at what they do. I fully expected to replace them and it's a nice surprise not to have to.The string tree's will need replacing as they are cheap steel butterfly type, but to replace them with USA type is £8 so again, they're not a headache, just need swapping out.
    The Nut is typical cheap plastic. It works for now but you would really want to get it changed for a bone nut eventually.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Love a proper sized strat headstock. Excellent!

What do you think of the peavey amp? They make great go-to amps I think, easily coloured with pedals and the base tone is really quite decent.
    edited December 2014
    What do you think of the peavey amp? They make great go-to amps I think, easily coloured with pedals and the base tone is really quite decent.
    It's is BONKERS good. I mean really, really good.
    Goes from a whisper to actually play it at home, even in my flat, to standing on the stage at Wembley sneering and pulling faces at the soundman because you don't need his PA. (Hypothetically of course).

The sounds is crystal clear and when turned up a bit, has a lovely warmth and body. The EQ is as good as any other i've ever used, spring reverb....................It is literally a Proper amp from when they were built properly.

I have now sold the Blues Junior because it became instantly redundant and this, with the G3 into it is the sound i've been looking for. I don't use the Distortion on the amp at the moment, i'm having way too much fun running amp sims into it as a clean amp and smiling my head off at how good it sounds.

I didn;t pay a lot for this amp but i would spend ANYTHING to fix it if it went wrong. I've found my perfect amp !
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10267
    Edge-tastic!

Like it a lot.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    The squier guitars have really impressed me over the last couple of years. The quality is very good.
  • Looks great.  Happy NGD.
    edited December 2014
    Thank you all very much
    I had considered a 'Partscaster' but i don't like it when 'The Strats Have No Name'.
    Searching for the right guitar that suited me was like 'Running to Stand Still', I looked everywhere from here to 'Van Diemens Land', i even tried looking on the weekends but ended up thinking 'Sunday, BLOODY Sunday' !!! (God Bless you Alan Partridge) and i knew i 'Still Hadn't Found What i Was Looking For', i thought i would still be looking on 'New Years Day' !
    I would lie awake each night thinking 'All i Want is You', i knew there would be 'One' that was right and it ended up becoming a matter of 'Pride' and ('In The Name of Love') i swore i would find my perfect Stratocaster.
    The day i found it was 'A Beautiful Day', i could tell my 'Desire' was uncontrollable and 'Love came to town'. It was amazing, 'Even Better Than the Real Thing' ! 'The Sweetest Thing' was that i almost got 'Vertigo' when i went to the shop, it was 'Magnificent' and i stood there thinking 'All i Want is You'. I took my lovely wife with me because 'Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own'.
    I almost became 'Stuck in a Moment and i Couldn't Get Out of It'  but my wife said 'Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me' which i know is code for "Take me to bed" so i said 'I Will Follow' and got out of there before the 'Angel of Harlem' changed her mind.
    When were at home later that night, i thought 'She Works in Mysterious Ways' and it did occur to me that if she didn't have me, 'Who's Gonna Ride Her Wild Horses' but then i realised that i've got a fit Wife and a great guitar so i closed my eyes and thought "I'm going to 'Sleep Like a Baby Tonight' " !

:)

Sorry, i've been drinking since breakfast. Couldn't resist it.
  • racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 996
    edited December 2014
    :-S  :bz  8-X  :|   >:)  :\">  =)X_X  8-}   :-S parp!  :|  :D  :P 

like the guitar though ;-)
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

• Superb looking guitar - well done fella.